Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2009, 04:46   #31

Boat: pilot cutter
At $25 per board foot (12" x 12" x 1") being the current price of teak...just for the material alone due to its scarcity, you're basically painting over King Tut's 'tomb' in value. Relish the teak. Enjoy the teak. Bask in the luxury of the teak. Because they certainly aren't making much more of it.
Tung oil/Boiled Linseed oil 50/50 mix is an easy method to keep teak looking nice without the need for 'varnish'. Just wipe or brush on, let sit for several minutes, then wipe off and let dry and you're done. Beautiful.

FYI, I used teak, mahogany, jarrah, goncalo alves, sapele, cherry, white oak, and bamboo on my boat......and I wish that I could have used all teak. Teak is the King of Woods.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 06:49   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I love an oil finish for maintenance and its soft feeling I use it a lot…but not in my boat.

My experience with oil on teak, and for that matter most other woods, is that after several years of freshening it up with additional coats it may get darker.
If that happens, a simple sanding won’t bring back a uniform color as the oil penetrates the grain at different rates/depths.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 17:59   #33

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I have a Mason 30 which was finished in Mahogany and plywood. All the ply is painted gloss white, and the trim is varnished. I love it.

I find this to be one of the most comfortable finishes I've ever seen. My other boat is all teak or mahogany with a lot less white in it, and it seems much darker.

However, if you look at the galley, its white with dark trim and also gives a brighter airier feeling.

I also concur with Bloodhound. If you are going to paint the teak, do coat it with varnish first. My Masons exterior was mahogany with varnish but the previous owner got lazy and painted it with epoxy to avoid having to sand and varnish each year. I am currently stripping it back to wood while doing some rot repairs and with a heat gun and scraper its coming off clean and with very little effort.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 18:21   #34

The Herreshoff look of white walls with bright varnished trim is about as classic as you can get. Formica also looks great if the varnished trim is carefully done. Don't use refrigerator "arctic" white. Pick a warmer white.

Here are a few pictures from the Morris web site. Drool.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42-3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	11816   Click image for larger version

Name:	46RS-2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	11817  

Click image for larger version

Name:	46-2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	11818  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 18:32   #35

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
Another nice teak on white that I find really nice from Morris. This is their standard 38' interior.

SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 15:24   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
I'm not one to want my boat to look like a coffin and one big reason to move south is to avoid winter depression which I have suffered far too long. I'll be redoing the interior modeled upon the Herreshoff model for a bright cheerful look. That means painting over acres of teak and keeping the trim in teak for contrast.

Any one else here go that direction? If yes fotos would be much appreciated.

Let the stone throwing begin.

Thanks to all who replied to what I was asking - the fotos of the Herreshoff look and how you might have applied it to your boat. As I stated in my opening post for me this is a mental health issue - screw the teak. I said let the stone throwing begin because I knew I was going to hear it anyway - germane or not to my original question. I am in the hot sun all day in St, Croix and for me going below is dark and depressing.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote