Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2009, 14:06   #1
cruiser

Teak Tomb

I'm not one to want my boat to look like a coffin and one big reason to move south is to avoid winter depression which I have suffered far too long. I'll be redoing the interior modeled upon the Herreshoff model for a bright cheerful look. That means painting over acres of teak and keeping the trim in teak for contrast.

Any one else here go that direction? If yes fotos would be much appreciated.

Let the stone throwing begin.

Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 14:12   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
Have you thought about wall vinyl or other such covering. I agree nice to lighten things up but I hate to paint over teak on principle lol. It is hard to undo paint but wall coving can be removed without destroying the wood veneer under. Just a thought

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 14:20   #3

Boat: Cascade
Red Velvet !
Old 21-10-2009, 14:22   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Paint over it with an egg-shell/off-white color like I did and keep the trim pieces varnished.

Old 21-10-2009, 14:25   #5

Appears greenish, but that is because of poor lighting....

Old 21-10-2009, 14:52   #6
cruiser

CSY that's what I'm talking about.
Thanks!
Old 21-10-2009, 15:06   #7

yea a nice warm white or even white white looks good below..... int he Herreshcoff tradition. I would be careful how far you go though, when time to sell, others may like all that warm teak look. Frankly, dont become too worried about it, once south you will be outside a LOT!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 15:21   #8

Boat: Cascade
As more and more people are changing the traditional teak look to make it feel more like fiberglass (as in newer boats).. you can’t help but wonder if 5-10 years from now if we will see a lot of posts about scraping dated paint off.

Like PO painted the teak bulkhead green what do I do...

I wonder if it will lessen the value like antiques?

I saw a post where someone ripped out teak and put in pressboard cupboards that looked like fake granite!
Old 21-10-2009, 15:58   #9

Quote:
As more and more people are changing the traditional teak look to make it feel more like fiberglass (as in newer boats)..
Not sure that anybody is painting the faux teak laminate to make it look like fiberglass, more to lighten up the interior.

Quite a few owners have admired my interior and shamelessly copied it.
Me previous owner did most of it during a 2 year refit back in 92, I added a bit just to complete the picture and frankly, I think it looks great.

Too much teak down below can be like too much beer or too much ice cream, it gets old really fast.
Old 21-10-2009, 16:50   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

If its faux teak do what you like with it.
If its real teak then as the original poser asked: "Let the stone throwing begin."

I am in Asia in the area teak should be obtainable and cheap. Let me tell you that it isnt easy to get it anymore. Borneo has been stripped of it and its gone.
Myanmar teak (Burma) is illegal to be sold in Malaysia and Singapore. I don't know about Thailand yet, but I think it is cheaper up there.

Last night we had a 2 small pieces of teak delivered to our boat as a gift from a friend via a boat timber craftsman who is doing work on our boat (in ply).... you should have seen him so reverently stroking the teak as a long lost commodity.

I think teak is about as extinct as the Dodo bird... and it ain't gunna be coming back through plantations as everything grown here is palm oil trees.

If you have real teak on your boat now then I think in the next few years as all teak absolutely stops being used, even for repairs, you will find the resale value of your boat going up and up.

In 5 years time it may be, say, a $10,000 difference between a boat with beautiful teak and one where its been overpainted.

Is the lick of paint worth $10,000?

For cockpit seats and foor in teak -not the whole deck - the quote was US$16,000. So perhaps in a few years boats will be bought just for their teak value.....

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 17:03   #11
cruiser

I do plan on keeping the teak outside. If I can find a way ($$) I want to keep a teak deck in natural white as it ages. Inside is plywood bulkheads that have water damage so by painting I can scarf in new wood w/o going nuts trying to make it match or replace entire bulkhead. As for resale... well never say never but we cashed out of our dirt side lives - there IS no going back.
Old 22-10-2009, 01:59   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Its amazing how far a little white paint can go....start small… a panel here …a panel there.
Lightening up curtains, heat liner and cushion covers will make a HUGE difference.
Got any pics of your interior we can see.

As Mark says, teak is getting very expensive and harder to find nice pieces....but, if your boat is going to be worth $10,000 less because you painted the teak, no problem.... I've cleaned off plenty of paint on teak....if you’re painting over a varnished teak its soooo easy...a heat gun and scraper and that paint will peal away as pretty as you please.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 04:59   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
painting over real teak, you charlatan
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 05:28   #14

My opinion that a beautifully done teak interior is warm, inviting and appealing, not depressing like a coffin. (coffins are lined BTW).

The interior on Shiva, a Contest 36s has a GRP head liner a warm off white, light galley and head counters and the rest is beautifully crafted and finished teak. I've done the upholstery in a navy blue plush and the interior has colorful (small) paintings from the tropics for contrast. Definitely not depressing.

In contrast the topsides have little teak, except for handholds and the slats on the seat and the eggrate on the cockpit sole. The rest is GRP and big sky which is of course often dazzlingly (is that a word?) bright. Going down below in the cool and darker colors is a relief!

I've seen some interiors such as the Hinkleys with lots of white and teak trim. Personally, I don't care for it as it seems some sort of an awkward compromise, made for of all things, cost reduction.

I find the teak interior rich and it doesn't show dirt and smudges and it is therefore more serviceable then light interiors.

It's a crime to paint over teak.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 05:58   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If its faux teak do what you like with it.
If its real teak then as the original poser asked: "Let the stone throwing begin."

I am in Asia in the area teak should be obtainable and cheap. Let me tell you that it isnt easy to get it anymore. Borneo has been stripped of it and its gone.
Myanmar teak (Burma) is illegal to be sold in Malaysia and Singapore. I don't know about Thailand yet, but I think it is cheaper up there.

Last night we had a 2 small pieces of teak delivered to our boat as a gift from a friend via a boat timber craftsman who is doing work on our boat (in ply).... you should have seen him so reverently stroking the teak as a long lost commodity.

I think teak is about as extinct as the Dodo bird... and it ain't gunna be coming back through plantations as everything grown here is palm oil trees.

If you have real teak on your boat now then I think in the next few years as all teak absolutely stops being used, even for repairs, you will find the resale value of your boat going up and up.

In 5 years time it may be, say, a $10,000 difference between a boat with beautiful teak and one where its been overpainted.

Is the lick of paint worth $10,000?

For cockpit seats and foor in teak -not the whole deck - the quote was US$16,000. So perhaps in a few years boats will be bought just for their teak value.....

Mark

In Thailand, it's only legal to buy "second-hand" teak (i.e., that's been stripped from a house, another boat, etc.). I tried to bring some home with me when I left Asia a few years ago and I found it was logistically just too complicated.