Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2022, 11:27   #31

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Temporary repair to through-hull backing plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I vote don’t touch it.

If it’s not running water now, it’ll likely last a month or two until you haul. It’s not going to suddenly catastrophically fail.
I vote for this.

We had a similar problem when we got our new-to-us boat. A below water line thru hull backed by plywood with a slow leak. I could rotate the thru hull. The wood was saturated, delaminating.

We figured that even if the wood suddenly disappeared, the bilge pump would keep up with the flow long enough to get to port (later tested in reverse, and it was a toss up).

When the wood was dried out it was found to be actually in very good, solid condition; the wetness made it look in far worse condition than it was. I added goop (forgot which one, not 5200) and tightened down. It's all just fine now.

If you can get a turn on the nut, go ahead. Don't crank the heck out of it, over-compressing the wood or destroying the wood.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:38   #32

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Temporary repair to through-hull backing plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Is your marine surveyor well known cause he’s on the list of licensed marine surveyors, or out spoken and talks like Noah or Popeye. The Noah type are my favourite.

Drilling a hole under the water line should have been filmed. Sounds fun.
I guess I should have said "well respected", and he is. I'd rather rely on the integrity of our "built like a brick outhouse" hull than a piece of delaminating marine plywood.

Yeah - we DID video it. It's pretty funny. I guess I should upload it to youtube.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, repair