Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 05:59   #1

Terminating small wires

I've read MaineSail's excellent How-To article titled: "Terminating Small Wires". Now that I've read it, I want to try my hand on some small-wire projects on my boat. However, I am having a hard time locating a source for the ring terminals that MaineSail reccomends. They are 22 GA - 26 GA, uninsulated ring terminals. Preferrably manufactured by 3M or, secondary, by Russell. Can anyone provide a link to a source?
snotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Terminating small wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotter View Post
I've read MaineSail's excellent How-To article titled: "Terminating Small Wires". Now that I've read it, I want to try my hand on some small-wire projects on my boat. However, I am having a hard time locating a source for the ring terminals that MaineSail reccomends. They are 22 GA - 26 GA, uninsulated ring terminals. Preferrably manufactured by 3M or, secondary, by Russell. Can anyone provide a link to a source?
Hi,

A year or so back I started a thread here on this subject. I think Mainesail posted in that thread where he purchased the small terminals and I ordered some from that source. I'll go back and see if I can track down the name.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Here's the thread but I didn't see the name of the company he recommended. I'll keep looking.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...res-99456.html
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:43   #4

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..I suggest use 3m small crimp terminal designed for audio. They're filled with conductive silicon and perfect for #22/#24.. You can get on Home Depot
Old 19-10-2015, 07:58   #5

Boat: Rinker 24

IMHO the uninsulated ring terminals all seem to be pretty much the same, it is the insulating sleeve that varies in quality. I'd be comfortable ordering boxes of terminals like that off ebay from China.

However, you can also buy the cheap insulated terminals and just pull the plastic sleeve off. They are cheap enough cost isn't an issue.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 08:32   #6

Radio shack has them
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 18:24   #7

All thanks for your replies. It is truly amazing how hard it is to use google to find small, un-insulated, 3M ring-terminals in small quantities. (Mainesail, here is an opportunity to add to your butyl product.) Grainger has them, however, they want you to buy 500 at a time! I wound up buying some vinyl insulated packs of 25 pcs from McMaster Carr. I really had my heart set on using the brand Mainesail uses; however, the McMaster Carr terminals will be used below deck. Maybe they'll last a season or two. It's funny that I didn't have too much trouble locating and buying sub-d crimpers.
snotter is offline   Reply With Quote