Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2015, 21:17   #46

Re: The annoying new guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
One idea is to use a rubber bladder and put it in the space.
Welcome to CF Brian. Using a bladder is one way; myself, if I were not taking week long trips out from your marina, I'd just fill the tank with 1 liter water bottles and secure the 'lid' so it's easy to access the bottles during the day. Not like you'll be showering or washing dishes at a sink with that tankage anyway.

When you are going to move up to a larger boat my suggesttion would be to trailer your boat out to the East Coast where there is a demand for shallow draft boats. Plus it'll be easy to find your next one tooling around in your old one LOL!

Ah MN, the good old days, eat some squeaky cheese and kick back a cold one for me would ya?!
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 21:43   #47

Boat: Vivacity 24, Twin Keel

Those are both good ideas. Very practical. The shallow draft sure has made it nice for launching, which, as I read, is not much of an issue for most cruisers. I find myself pretty firmly in the trailer sailor category... Which I think is a good place for me right now and I have been encouraged by the amount of "Start small, start now," comments that I have read here.

As far as the beer and cheese, I don't drink, so how 'bout I fry up some walleye to eat with my cheese? (I've got both in the refrigerator.)

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-10-2015, 22:50   #48

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

Hi Brian, Welcome to sailing - I nearly bought a Vivacity 24 in the late sixties .They were built in South Africa at the time , I never realized that they were built elsewhere . I remember meeting a couple at the time ,who had sailed theirs from Durban to Madagascar and back , which is a long way in big seas for a small boat . Enjoy your sailing it has given myself and my family so much pleasure over the years .
Regards Garth Gregory
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 16:56   #49

I was pretty stoked to get her up past 6 knots today. I'm not sure what her hull speed is, but I am guessing that I was getting close to it.

I don't know where this little boat will go, but I think I can guarantee that she will never have the chance to see something like Madagascar or Durban, but hey, I can always dream.

Thanks Garth. The input I have received on the Vivacity 24 has done a lot to improve my estimation of the boat and has made some restoration and refitting seem like a reasonable choice.

Old 25-10-2015, 19:56   #50

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Hull speed may be higher on the trailer.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 20:11   #51

Yeah, after sailing Hobie Cats, it's kind of strange to find six knots fast. Lowered expectations are the key to happiness.

Old 23-11-2015, 04:51   #52

Boat: Dolphin 17C, planning stage for Marples DC3

Hi all. First ever sailing post here, so I'll join bsams on the newb bench. As one who spends way too much bandwidth in a car forum, I know he is off to an admirable start here. Details about me in an intro sometime soon, but to suffice for this thread, here is why I am looking at twin keelers of about this size or smaller ...
- Shallow draft trailerable. My most likely use will be weekends on the Mississippi (Lake Pepin, smaller pools above dams), or Minnesota lakes Twin Cities and south ... but possible trips to Superior or Michigan. A twin keel seems to be a good gunkholing beachable option. Will be looking at a mast I can step alone with an A frame, though I will probably store it rigged on a trailer in a favored location. F250 4wd to tow.
- No swings or daggers to maintain or damage or fail or futz with underway.
- Pretty stable boat for learning.
- Twin keelers seem in general to be solid boats. I was discouraged to read of oilcanning MacGregors, bottoms snapping out of swing keel Catalina 27s, and O'Days that seem guaranteed to need bulkhead replacement eventually. Twinners seem to hold up better, perhaps because they are built to hold their weight on the hard.
- I haven't seen this yet in my two weeks of googling since infected by a sailing virus, but I wonder if it might be true. To paraphrase a common saying about my car (guess which?) ... Is it more fun to sail a slow boat fast than to sail a fast boat slow?

Curious where you are bsams? PM if you prefer not to post it. My best best is north, maybe Brainerd area, given your resort ownership and the lake description. Have you clipped the bottom with those keels yet? How did that go? Best wishes as you start your adventure. Maybe in the next few years my similar boat will pull alongside for ftf greetings.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 21:11   #53

You have guessed correctly. I'm on Fish Trap Lake, not far of of Hwy 10 between Little Falls and Motley.

I haven't touched the keels on anything but the trailer, but I can't say that went too well, I may have damaged at cap on one of them. I will be modifying the trailer to prevent that in the future. My boat needs a lot of work, but she is solidly built, that's for certain.

I'm not sure what car you are alluding to, but it sounds like my 68 Ghia.