Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 16:28   #46

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Re: The best way to attach a tubular radar reflector to a shroud.

All plastic cable ties are not equal, the cheap ties will fall apart quickly. For our solar installations we buy Hellermann tyton milspec solar ties. They last.
I just put up a radar reflector and used stainless steel ties, also from HT. They'll outlast the boat.

https://www.hellermanntyton.com/prod...l250/111-01265
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 14:25   #47

Boat: Beneteau 361

I as well have a bit of experience being a Radar System designer.

RCS is everything.
The amount of reflected energy from the target (our boats) is effected by the two way range from the Tx to the target i.e. R squared out and R squared back, by the RCS (radar cross section) of our boat, the originating transmitter power (which itself is effected by transmit pulse width sometimes selected by the user) and the receiver STC (sensitivity time constant) curve that varies the radar receivers sensitivity based upon range. Of course the sea state will have an effect but other than saying rough seas make it harder to detect not included in the list. The recreational radars give us a lot of fiddling power over the STC curve and they choose to call it gain, weather filters etc. Be careful if you take the receiver out of auto and begin to tweek sea state filters, ocean vs harbor gain settings and the like.

My advice is get the largest corner reflector you can stand to look at and you will be seen next to your neighbor far sooner. Improve your boats RCS.
Anything that reflects back energy is better than nothing.

Regarding the radar transponder comments, we may be thinking about a "radar beacon". Last time I entered NY harbor from the South there was one that would transmit each time my radar lit it up. Very effective because it will fast tune to your transmitters frequency and then re transmit back to you.

Phil
nilespf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 04:26   #48

I'd have to disagree with the earlier assertion that 'tubular radar reflectors are worth nothing'.... They're popular among French 'Figaro' s/h sailors not because they're thought effective, but because they're cheap, light, don't disturb the airflow much.... and satisfy the Race Rules which specify 'a radar reflector'...... and I got Euro40 for mine in Douarnenez, cash, 'cos a young guy needed one pdq.

Here's a good site to explore. I have two of their inflatable units and, if/when I find myself in dense fog, those are both going up on the signal halyards. I don't care how that looks.....!

https://www.echomax.co.uk/
oldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 13:41   #49

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Interesting looking piece of kit. This would fit well with our offshore safety inspections in which it is now “accepted” if a vessel has AIS, that a reflector can be stowed ready for use. These look like they take very little space when collapsed.

I just get jittery when websites say “A price for this set can be obtained from the dealer.”. Always sounds a little like “We’ll let the dealer decide how big the rip-off should be”. Why don’t they just quote a price?
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 15:19   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I just get jittery when websites say “A price for this set can be obtained from the dealer.”. Always sounds a little like “We’ll let the dealer decide how big the rip-off should be”. Why don’t they just quote a price?

It's my understanding that a number of the national distributors source the GRP rods locally, rather than imported from UK. That makes them cheaper - but prices vary 'locally'. They're easy to make up....

Quote:
EM230I DuPont metallized, lacquered and spunbonded fabric array with PVC case; folds down neatly to pocket size and is an ideal addition to the grab bag for emergency use. QinetiQ recorded an astonishing maximum response of 25.6M2 - (SPL 4.1M2) exceeding the 10M2 WCC : ISAF : ORC and RORC requirements by two fold.
oldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, shroud