Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Bond or not to Bond
Save the case of rum till after you bond it. 1 33.33%
Screw it, replace the zincs, and drink the rum now. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2021, 14:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: The names Bond.... Or wait do I? (Beneteau 50 Electrolysis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I also tried isolating which circuit was the problem using a calibrated cell (i forget what it is called), and lifting bonds, but i got inconclusive results.
You refer to a silver/silver chloride half cell. All ABYC Certified Marine Corrosion techs will have one. It can be extremely difficult to track down these issues without one. They ain't rocket surgery but it does take a little education to use one properly.

https://www.koslow.com/silver-silver...20measurements.
Old 26-09-2021, 19:21   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigBig View Post
There is no such thing as electrolysis on a boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
First thing is never take electrical advice from someone using the word "electrolysis". That is uniformed dock talk using a catchy word.
"electrolysis" does not occur on boats. No one trained in Marine corrosion will use that word.
Au contraire, their is a special/certain realm of damage that can take place in wooden boats that most assuredly is a form of "electrolysis".
It occurs when a current, (seeking ground,) gets into a bonding system, or even to a single underwater fixture.
The current will hydrolyze, (sic,) the moisture in the wood, and break down the cell structure, causing the wood to "de-lignify".
Countless wooden boats have been severely damaged by people bonding and adding zincs to boats that never needed it.
It took many years before it was figured out that a wooden boat with all bronze fasteners/seacocks does NOT need any bonding whatsoever.
All they needed was a ground plate, separate, and not part of any bonding system.
Bronze, left alone, without interference, does quite well.
In the old days, a wooden boat, with bronze fasteners, bronze seacocks, bronze props and bronze shafts, would do just fine.
When builders started mixing-up metals, and adding AC circuits, that's when the troubles began.
So,, they started bonding and zincing,, still have trouble, add more zinc.
Things went downhill from there,,,.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 19:27   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post

Au contraire, their is a special/certain realm of damage that can take place in wooden boats that most assuredly is a form of "electrolysis".
It occurs when a current, (seeking ground,) gets into a bonding system, or even to a single underwater fixture.
The current will hydrolyze, (sic,) the moisture in the wood, and break down the cell structure, causing the wood to "de-lignify".
Countless wooden boats have been severely damaged by people bonding and adding zincs to boats that never needed it.
It took many years before it was figured out that a wooden boat with all bronze fasteners/seacocks does NOT need any bonding whatsoever.
All they needed was a ground plate, separate, and not part of any bonding system.
Bronze, left alone, without interference, does quite well.
In the old days, a wooden boat, with bronze fasteners, bronze seacocks, bronze props and bronze shafts, would do just fine.
When builders started mixing-up metals, and adding AC circuits, that's when the troubles began.
So,, they started bonding and zincing,, still have trouble, add more zinc.
Things went downhill from there,,,.
When I took my Marine Corrosion Analysis exam. They told us use of that incorrect term would be an instant failure ... they may have been joking.

In "electrolysis" current flows in the opposite direction to that which causes corrosion. it is a different process.
Old 26-09-2021, 21:25   #19

Boat: Jarkan 12.5 42 feet

You have not stated the materials of the thru fittings, keel bolts, propellor, propellor shaft, keel etc. If the thru fittings are brass get rid of them quickly and go to non metal. Then the advice to consult an marine expert in this sounds good
girdasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 00:06   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdasso View Post
You have not stated the materials of the thru fittings, keel bolts, propellor, propellor shaft, keel etc. If the thru fittings are brass get rid of them quickly and go to non metal. Then the advice to consult an marine expert in this sounds good
Marlon is fine but bronze will also outlast the lifespan of the boat.
Old 27-09-2021, 04:26   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The names Bond.... Or wait do I? (Beneteau 50 Electrolysis)

On a European grp boat , fittings are never bonded together and don’t have dc negative connected to mains earth

My Bavaria 36 2003 had her skin fittings replaced two years ago by the P.O. I saw one of the fittings cut in half , it was perfect

European builders use DNZ brass. There never was a bronze shortage , it’s just not seen as necessary with GRP and European bonding practice

The P.O. admitted he succumbed to the “ fear “ mongering.!!!

Follow European bonding practice

Here is the Med , one of the saltiest seas around , fitting replacement is rare except after decades.

Tags
beneteau, electrolysis