Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2023, 14:10   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
The price range of upholstery foams

I've done a lot of reading here, and elsewhere (including the sailrite guides) on interior upholstery foams and am trying to decide if there really is a substantial difference in the quality of a product like CushionRite Premium Foam and the GoToFoam High Density Firm foam on Amazon (links and prices below).

I have samples of both of these materials and, unsurprisingly, they are not substantially different in feel or appearance, but that's obviously not what really matters. What matters for my purpose is longevity and how they will old up over years of continual, liveaboard usage, where I can really only rely on anecdotes, since I can't sit on these materials for years to make a decision.

For people with experience with various upholstery foams, especially the GoToFoam materials, have you noticed significant differences in long term performance between products?

For our boat, the prices difference for just foam material would come to around $720+ for the ChushionRite, and ~$210 for the GoTo Foam product.

Money saved in foam might go to spending more money on fabric.

GoToFoam 3", Firm 24" x 72" = $35

CushionRite Premium, Firm 24" x 80" = $120
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 21:17   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: The price range of upholstery foams

On closer inspection, it does appear that the GoToFoam linked above is actually not a high density foam, but maybe a medium density foam. It seems like a lot of the foams on Amazon advertised as "high density" are actually only 1.8 lbs per cubic foot.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 21:21   #3

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: The price range of upholstery foams

Dont skip on foam quality if you intend to keep your boat more than 5 years.

Also, for sleeping mattresses (as opposed to saloon settees for example) consider Latex. Our 6" thick Latex mattress has been in daily use for 23 years and is almost as good as new. Amazing stuff. We have 4" closed cell foam for the saloon settees and the difference is like night and day.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price