Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2014, 07:25   #16
cruiser

Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Since a rudder discussion began this, here's some pics of last weeks Pacific Seacraft rudder after grinding off all coatings. Typical owner repairs, the list of problems was long, including severe saturation. Sent in for factory rebuild, it's the cheapest option for the client. I see rudders like this and worse all the time.
Did you get any word on whether the internal structure or the stock of this was rudder was trashed due to the saturation?

I'm interested in what the failure mode would be on a rudder like this.
Old 13-11-2014, 07:48   #17

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Could be a coincedence, , this morning im called to see some problems in a Beneteau, for the incredulous about Plexus, check it out

First 3 pictures show the preparation for cutting the grid liner in the starboard aft cabin, the surveyor found cracks in the bottom in this área , after ground the gelcoat we see the cracks run deep in the laminate, im not allowed to take pictures from the outside, dirty job...

The next 3 pictures show a fillet of plexus unbonded from the 2 main bulkhead , the one dividing the salón from the cabins, owner reported in a starboard tack sailing to weather , 3 cabinets doors get open and dont close anymore , so i run straight with my flashlight in the cave and found this, i grab the tip of a flat screwdiver and dig it in the crack., the repair call for real fiberglass in the sides of the bulkhead...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0109.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	91519   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0110.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	91520  

Name:	DSCN0111.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	91521   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0114.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	91522  

Name:	DSCN0115.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	91523   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0116.jpg
Views:	2209
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	91524  

Old 13-11-2014, 08:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Martinsitic SS has magnetic qualites (meaning you can pick up such a bolt with a magnet) - that does not mean it will rust.
I've been told otherwise by several respected sources. That is the less magnetism ss exhibits the better ss it is. But yes I'm aware that several types of ss may be perfectly fine and still have residual magnetism but not supposed to be so strong as to be picked up by a magnet.
Old 13-11-2014, 08:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Instead of using a magnet for provenance... Why don't you use a good source??? Your chances for success are slightly better...

McMaster Carr
Fastenal
Bolt Depot
Yeah, sure but I'd rather be sailing than working overtime to afford "using a good source".
Old 13-11-2014, 08:34   #20

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

This is some nices backing plates we do with CF cut outs , just for fun..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0129.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	91528  
Old 13-11-2014, 09:01   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I've been told otherwise by several respected sources. That is the less magnetism ss exhibits the better ss it is. But yes I'm aware that several types of ss may be perfectly fine and still have residual magnetism but not supposed to be so strong as to be picked up by a magnet.
source: Mark's Handbook of Standard Engineering

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 13-11-2014, 09:03   #22

When we were in the south Pacific a Beneteau came in with similar problems, furniture had come loose, the owner was very upset. We as cruisers talked about it but at the time none of us were aware that the furniture was not tabbed so we all figured it was poor workmanship.
I don't know this as a fact(getting old) but it seemed to me that they were bonding the bulkheads to the interior liners so if a liner ever let go the structure was heavily compromised. You guys that are dealing with this all the time might chime in and set me straight.
Old 13-11-2014, 09:14   #23

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Hylas 70 freezer hatch. First photo shows huge air gaps around shrunken foam insulation. Symptoms were condensation on exterior surface; long run time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old-freezer-hatch.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	91537   Click image for larger version

Name:	freezer-hatch-repair-1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	91538  

Name:	freezer-hatch-repair-2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	91539   Click image for larger version

Name:	freezer-hatch-repair-3.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	91540  

Name:	freezer-hatch-repair-4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	91541   Click image for larger version

Name:	freezer-hatch-repair-6.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	91542  

Old 13-11-2014, 09:25   #24

Terra Nova,
Nice work! What would cause the sprayed in foam to shrink like that? I'm in the building business and have never seen that. R
Old 13-11-2014, 09:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
source: Mark's Handbook of Standard Engineering
Thanks. I'll read up on that. Will have something to discuss with my marine pros buddies.

PS But knowing the chinese "workmanship" issues I still say that chinese made ss is not what you're talking about.
Old 13-11-2014, 09:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
That may be true for Austenitic SS (300 series) but 400 series etc is always magnetic. (it's about 85% iron!) It is high strength compared with 300 series if it's heat treated. It may not be as corrosion resistant, not entirely sure... I think it's rare to see it in marine applications... better used for cutlery!

Old 13-11-2014, 09:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That may be true for Austenitic SS (300 series) but 400 series etc is always magnetic. (it's about 85% iron!) It is high strength compared with 300 series if it's heat treated. It may not be as corrosion resistant, not entirely sure... I think it's rare to see it in marine applications... better used for cutlery!
I recall that this may have been my buddy's explanation for looking for nonmagnetic ss in marine apps. Also I read that stronger ss is more prone to rust and is more brittle. While less prone to rust ss is more elastic. Certianly if I had the budget I'd go with titanium all the way but that's not happening unless I win the lottery. And I don't even buy the tickets.

Speaking of 300s and 400s series. And this ties in nicely with metric vs imperial thread. The rest of the world uses A4 and A6 if I'm not mistaken but we still use 300 and 400 nomenclature. What gives?
Old 13-11-2014, 10:27   #28

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Terra Nova,
Nice work! What would cause the sprayed in foam to shrink like that?...
Thanks. I can't be certain, but the foam must have reacted to some non-compatible solvent out-gassing from the resin.
Old 13-11-2014, 12:24   #29

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Guys, whether you're looking for the properties of a specific stainless alloy, or those of any other material, go to www.MatWeb.com
In addition to a material's physical properties being listed, there's often enough an abridged writeup on the material.

Also, the site provides, a list of producers & or retailers (if available). - KEY RESOURCE
So that likely with a few calls, & proper "coaxing" you can/could find out what you want to know it terms of the pros & cons of a specific material. Especially if you wind up talking to a retailer for the stuff, who's under the impression that you are shopping for X, & are more than just a small buyer. And said persona at the company will be looking to steer you to the most suitable material for the application in question, which they make (plus that's the most profitable for them to sell).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 13-11-2014, 14:00   #30

Boat: center console

RE:Stainless Steel Bolts Bleeding Rust

If you use steel tools on your "Gold Standard" stainless steel bolts (ie: clean off the old sealant with a wire wheel) they will also bleed rust from the imbedded micro particles of steel.
Closed Thread