Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2023, 11:09   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
thinking ahead a little bit - best spot for haul and DIY bottom paint Pamlico?

I guess I got the whole question in the subject. Ha ha

looking for a good place to haul out in the Pamlico sound or north of it for 25ft beam.

I would like to get a pressure wash done, then scuff my existing (if any) bottom paint by hand, then apply my own high copper ablative.

Note: I don’t actually sand. I just scuff up the existing ablative for better adhesion.

suggestions on a good place to do this?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 12:41   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
thinking ahead a little bit - best spot for haul and DIY bottom paint Pamlico?

Here’s a place in Belhaven NC. They say they have a travel lift that should lift up to a 25’ beam, but widest they’ve hauled is 24’. We are 24’11” and would love it if you could be the test boat! DIY yard as well.
Just forwarded an email to you with rates etc.

https://www.tjsmarinanc.com
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 18:09   #3

Re: thinking ahead a little bit - best spot for haul and DIY bottom paint Pamlico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Here’s a place in Belhaven NC. They say they have a travel lift that should lift up to a 25’ beam, but widest they’ve hauled is 24’. We are 24’11” and would love it if you could be the test boat! DIY yard as well.
Just forwarded an email to you with rates etc.

https://www.tjsmarinanc.com
thank you!

this is a pretty good find if they can haul me. It’s really not too far out-of-the-way. Just one day to get to it and one day back to the ocean
Old 10-05-2023, 20:18   #4

Re: thinking ahead a little bit - best spot for haul and DIY bottom paint Pamlico?

Everybody with a bigger boat should know what size travelift is the smallest their boat fits in. It usually has nothing to do with weight.

We have a 52 foot monohull, that displaces about 18 tons. We know from experience that anything less than a 75 ton travelift is VERY problematic. In a dire emergency we can fit in a 50 ton, but it is not pretty.

This goes double for a catamaran. Physical dimensions are the key. Height of the cross bar on the lift, how far back the boat needs to sit, arches, stays, topping lifts... etc, etc.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 22:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Everybody with a bigger boat should know what size travelift is the smallest their boat fits in. It usually has nothing to do with weight.

We have a 52 foot monohull, that displaces about 18 tons. We know from experience that anything less than a 75 ton travelift is VERY problematic. In a dire emergency we can fit in a 50 ton, but it is not pretty.

This goes double for a catamaran. Physical dimensions are the key. Height of the cross bar on the lift, how far back the boat needs to sit, arches, stays, topping lifts... etc, etc.

Ideally, not using a travel lift is the smartest way to haul a catamaran. They are stupid.

all you need is a boat ramp and a trailer.

with a travel lift, the 75 has a published width of 25 feet and capability of 24ft beam lift. So I need the 100 ton.

but that doesn’t answer the question at all. Show me the marinas that have 100 ton in the Pamlico. You can’t. It’s not listed like that anywhere
Old 11-05-2023, 05:30   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post

Agree that one should know what size lift is needed to pull your boat.

For example, our boat (like yours) is a ketch rig and needs longer arms to pull it unless you want to remove the mizzen mast every time. While ours only displaces ~17 tons, a 60 ton lift has enough arm length our boat w/o removing the mizzen mast. (we've done it on a 35 ton w/slightly longer arms, but those are no commonly found).

Even w/that knowledge, in some areas it doesn't make it any easy to find a proper sized lift when they cater to smaller vessels.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 05:39   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Roanoke Island.

I think they built Gunboats there for a while.

But I suspect you know that.

Other than that? Can't think of any.

MAYBE Wilmington?

That or the big marina on the ditch to Beaufort.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 05:43   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Ideally, not using a travel lift is the smartest way to haul a catamaran. They are stupid.

all you need is a boat ramp and a trailer.

Agree. PM sent
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 05:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Roanoke Island.

I think they built Gunboats there for a while.

But I suspect you know that.

Other than that? Can't think of any.

MAYBE Wilmington?

That or the big marina on the ditch to Beaufort.
I asked my Rigger about that one on Roanoke. I think it’s the same one.

I asked him if it was DIY and he doubted it.

but I suppose I can look into it a little more. I hadn’t looked into it very deeply since he said it was not DIY.

maybe I will just have to get another bottom scrub and hope for the best somewhere else.

ideally, I need to start figuring out ways to just keep this thing clean. And do my own stuff by drying out rather than hauling out.

my boat was designed to not need any haul outs. Maybe I should be making better use of that feature

Tags
bottom paint, DIY, head, paint