Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 21:42   #1

Thinking of a dream machine.

I'm at the very beginning stages of a refit, and I'm thinking about building myself a "machine", using readily available parts with the following features and connecting it to the basic framework of the hull:

I'd like:

Something like a small 5-9HP diesel twin. Salt water cooled with a heat exchanger to heat the hot water tank. and probably driving a serpentine belt. I already have a chang-fa air cooled motor, but it's likely only 1.5-2 hp and not really suitable.

First up on the belt would be a 110-130 amp externally regulated alternator. I'd like to home-build a system like 'premier power' so that I can simply switch the output from 12v charging + 110vdc to welding. I'd like to wire up some plugs on deck to be able to stick, mig and tig weld. But being honest: I can make an alternator welder or an alternator but I have no idea how to do both.

The seawater input would go to a strainer, and then a pre-filter, and then a 12v pump of 5-7 GPH.

That pump would go to a 'T' to feed a simple salt water deck washdown fitting washdown JABSCO Stainless-Steel Washdown Quick Connects at West Marine & a shower. The other side of the T would be to pre-feed water to a high pressure pump.

The HP pump would be on an electric clutch, the output would go to a Y valve, one side into a watermaker, the other to piping above the anchor to pressure wash the anchor as it comes up, and maybe a simple port to have pressure washing on deck.

Also on an electric clutch would be a pulley driven Air Compressor. Now, in dream land: this is a scuba compressor, that is connected to the foredeck, on the foredeck, I have 2-4 scuba tanks horizontally secured, and the dinghy would rest on top of them. The compressor would be able to supply 10+ CFm of pristine air, so I could go from the tanks to an pressure system integrated to the boat with connections fore and aft, where I could connect tools like a grinder, blaster and a scaler, or launch the dinghy and use the tanks to actually dive.

In "not dream land", probably a bendix vehicular tool compressor. to a simple air tank.

Ok, so, my questions.

I have NO IDEA how much horsepower this would take, nor how to calculate it.

I would like any input as to likely inexpensive sources for parts. I am leaning towards a kubota powerplant from a semi E.C.U. as the engine, but I would really like some input as to relatively cheaply widely available engine sources, that are easy to marinize with off-the-shelf components if at all possible.

I could of course do this all off my Yanmar 75 too, but my preference would be to build a smaller, independant system.

I've been totally unable to find a breathable air compressor with high cfm, let alone one at a resonable price. ideas?

Is this thing doable under 5k? or am I totally in lala land? any cool sources of info or sources for candidates for individual parts for the various systems as well as any 'things I haven't thought of" type stuff would be greatly appreciated.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 22:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Thinking of a dream machine.

As i count it you are looking for...

An power source driving...
1) welder
2) water maker
3) wash down pump
4) air compressor

All from PTO's and clutches...

Possible? Probably, not highly impractical. The amount of engineering it would take is pretty nuts, the engine would have to be sized for the highest load, whatever that is, and when running below that demand would waste a lot of power, since pumps typically require regulated speed, regardless of horsepower.

Not to mention the amount of room it would take to stack all that mess around one shaft.

Go with a small 110v diesel generator, sized to match the welding equipment (the likely highest load). Then 110v systems for everything else.

I doubt you can do this for $5,000 if you go all new equipment (the generator alone is likely to be more), but if you can scrounge used stuff, you might be able to get close. Or at least add it over time so you don't have to bite off such a big piece all at once.

Plus a generator will allow you to run the AC, or at least a battery charger while running small loads.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 13:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
As i count it you are looking for...

An power source driving...
1) welder
2) water maker
3) wash down pump
4) air compressor

Just three:
Alternator
water maker pump
Air Compressor

Washdown will be 12v however the engine itself would need a cooling system.

Everything else I really want to do is split off each device to provide other function AFTER the PTO.

Size is the reason for this, if I did it all separately, each of these items will need a honkin 5hp motor on it, probably a belt taking up a few cubic feet of space.
Old 15-07-2012, 13:51   #4

Boat: OEM, proportional

How about using the diesel genny to run electric drives on the others? That way the diesel is in its comfortable rev range, and the electric motors can be sized appropriate to the use, if they're not already fitted? Fiddling with belts and splined shafts and whatnot sounds like a headache. There's some off-grid folk on the web that have tips on alternator welding, even a 24v system the military love. Here's one boatie with some tips:

Emergency welding with a high output alternator
Old 15-07-2012, 14:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
How about using the diesel genny to run electric drives on the others? That way the diesel is in its comfortable rev range, and the electric motors can be sized appropriate to the use, if they're not already fitted? Fiddling with belts and splined shafts and whatnot sounds like a headache. There's some off-grid folk on the web that have tips on alternator welding, even a 24v system the military love. Here's one boatie with some tips:

Emergency welding with a high output alternator

lol, thanks for the link, as it happened I had just stumbled upon it immediately before I read your message

Basically, what I want is this guy: http://www.aquamarineinc.net/aquagen/gen150.jpg +air and DIY on the cheap.
Old 15-07-2012, 14:50   #6

I was wondering how "dual-use" a hookah compressor is.....and that aquagen thing looks like it could keep me busy....real busy
Old 15-07-2012, 15:15   #7

I admit I have somewhat conflicting desires, if I had something like a premier power welder setup, I'd have 110 DC and I could run a grinder. So wouldn't need a compressor.

If I had a compressor, I wouldn't need 110 DC and I mean, I'd LIKE to have a plasma cutter aboard which would require 220v, making the whole project moot, just buy off the shelf and be done with it.

OTOH, I think this would be so much cooler ;>
Old 15-07-2012, 15:23   #8

Not to mention portable, for working on boats or land projects. The diesel-electric power transfer system is quite efficient and neat...and I won't get my beard caught in those nasssty pulleys and belts.
Old 15-07-2012, 21:13   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Far better off to buy a ready made 11O vac genny then run all the standard items off that. More reliable easier to replace etc.

Dave