Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2023, 16:31   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
This has to be galvanic corrosion, correct?

Seems like all of a sudden a few months ago I started suffering serious damage to my iron keel. My yard guy thinks it is from an electrical problem on neighbor boats. I am fixing the boat but not sure I can do much more than hang a zinc fish. 2009 Beneteau 343
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-09-13 10.28.33.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	280928   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-09-13 10.28.15.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	280929  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-09-13 10.12.25.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	280930   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-09-13 10.12.37.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	280931  

EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 16:44   #2

Re: This has to be galvanic corrosion, correct?

Are you sure you do not have stray current problems on your own boat?

This is not "galvanic" corrosion this is stray current corrosion, the result of electrical currents flowing where they are not supposed to. Many people call this "galvanic" corrosion, but that drives some people on this forum nuts... Adding zinc will not fix this problem.

The current flow might be between boats, or between parts of your own boat.

Just one example of what could happen: You have a wire on the positive side of your bilge pump switch sitting in bilge water, and leaking current that is flowing out of the keel, and back to the battery through the prop and engine ground.

This is a complex topic... you either have a lot of reading to do, or find somebody who is an expert.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 17:41   #3

As SailngHarmony suggests, go look at your bilge pump and bilge pump switch wires. A frayed wire or a splice that has fallen into bilge water is a very common culprit. The location of the rust on the keel is close to where I assume the bilge pump is located. It could be coming down the keel bolts.

I’d consider replacing the float switch even if you can’t find anything wrong.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 19:03   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I agree it's probably on your boat. That corrosion is at the TOP of the keel which tells me it's the closest to the source of the electrical leak.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 19:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

As a retired Certified Marine Corrosion tech I've had hundreds of people tell me their neighbors boat or shore power is the problem. While theoretically possible, I've never seen it. Every single case I've investigated, the victim boat has been the master of it's own disaster.

Very hard to tell from photos but if that is "stray current" you'd better take a hard look at your shaft, propeller and rudder stock. I've seen them destroyed in a matter of days.

You can go to ABYCinc.org to find a Certified Marine Corrosion tech or buy one of these to plug into your multi-tester and track down the issue. There are others on the market but this one comes with a pretty straight forward booklet that tells you how to do it. https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html

PS. Don't hire anyone who uses the word "electrolysis", that simply cannot happen on a boat.
Old 13-09-2023, 19:20   #6

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
As a retired Certified Marine Corrosion tech I've had hundreds of people tell me their neighbors boat or shore power is the problem. While theoretically possible, I've never seen it. Every single case I've investigated, the victim boat has been the master of it's own disaster.
Nice to know.

We are about to go into a marina for a bit
First time in 7 years and was worried. about stray current from others
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 19:50   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

Very hard to tell from photos but if that is "stray current" you'd better take a hard look at your shaft, propeller and rudder stock. I've seen them destroyed in a matter of days.

You can go to ABYCinc.org to find a Certified Marine Corrosion tech or buy one of these to plug into your multi-tester and track down the issue. There are others on the market but this one comes with a pretty straight forward booklet that tells you how to do it. https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html

PS. Don't hire anyone who uses the word "electrolysis", that simply cannot happen on a boat.
This is a great tip, thanks for that. Perhaps something else to check is whether you have added any electronics lately and how they are grounded?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 23:18   #8

Quote:
I have… Problem could be your boat or another. Could be ac or dc current. Both cause damage. But hard to check with your boat out of water. Best to put it back in the same slip to test.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 00:24   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I have… Problem could be your boat or another. Could be ac or dc current. Both cause damage. But hard to check with your boat out of water. Best to put it back in the same slip to test.
AC can cause stray current corrosion and does in pipelines ... a totally different environment and life expectancy. In salt or fresh water the process is so slow you would not notice it in your nor your kids and probably your grand kids lifetimes.
Old 14-09-2023, 04:32   #10

Wish I were closer to Panama City, I'm an ABYC Corrosion and Electrical tech and could help you but I'm about 8 hours away.

It will take more than just those pictures to figure out what is going on. I suspect galvanic corrosion. Stray current corrosion is FAST, if that happened in a matter of days than I would suspect SC, but if it's taken months...

A knowledgeable person needs to look at your wiring/bonding system and check your fittings with a reference electrode when you're back in the water.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 06:35   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
I suspect galvanic corrosion.
I suspect that you don’t understand what galvanic corrosion is. Perhaps you can elaborate upon which two dissimilar metals are in contact with each other in this situation.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 06:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Perhaps you can elaborate upon which two dissimilar metals are in contact with each other in this situation.
I haven't been in the boat, I have no idea what is bonded to the keel bolts in it. 14 years is plenty of time for owners to do all kinds of strange partial bonding. That's why these things need in person inspection, not diagnosis from a photo.

The metals don't have to be in physical contact for galvanic corrosion, just electrical contact and in the presence of an electrolytic solution.
Old 14-09-2023, 07:13   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
I haven't been in the boat, I have no idea what is bonded to the keel bolts in it. 14 years is plenty of time for owners to do all kinds of strange partial bonding. That's why these things need in person inspection, not diagnosis from a photo.

The metals don't have to be in physical contact for galvanic corrosion, just electrical contact and in the presence of an electrolytic solution.

This is rust. It is an iron keel that is rusting. It is not galvanic corrosion. It is not electrolytic corrosion. It is rust.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 07:38   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Please describe how the current moves (+ & -) without a physical contact.
One path is through the electrolyte. I don't understand how the other path could occur without a physical/electrical path.
Old 14-09-2023, 08:03   #15

Quote:
Please describe how the current moves (+ & -) without a physical contact.
One path is through the electrolyte. I don't understand how the other path could occur without a physical/electrical path.
Re-read my quote that you posted. I said it needs electrical contact, not necessarily physical contact. That seems to be the same thing you are saying.

It's why we use galvanic isolators. You're boat is not in physical contact with the boat next to it, but they 'can' be in electrical contact through the AC grounding conductor.

I should ask though since you are an experienced surveyor, do you agree with fstbottoms that it is simple corrosion that occurred in "a few months"?

Tags
corrosion