Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 10:22   #16

Re: Thoughts on fiddles

I'm very on the fence regarding fiddles. I cant remember a time that they have actually "saved" anything from happening actually. If a tall glass and it slides it's going over the edge anyway. Fiddles make clean up very hard. I don't leave stuff laying around anyway, if the boat is moving it's put away or in the sink. Fiddles? I could definitely live without them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 11:37   #17

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

On previous boats I have used teak handrail sections as fiddles on shelves where I stored books and small plastic boxes. In the galley? Not so much as things tend to end up on deck anyway no matter how hard one tries (at least the way I cook), it's just easier to wipe down the counters (sans fiddles) and clean the deck afterwards. On dining tables, definitely fiddles with the sticky pads mentioned above. Oversized fiddles also offer the additional availability as being used as handholds when things get rough. One doesn't always need a full handgrip to maintain balance, sometimes just a finger or two are enough to keep you upright. And being a Coonass from Louisiana, I also recommend keeping a fiddle onboard to entertain as well (I likes my blues and creole tunes.... ).
Old 25-10-2016, 11:58   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Coonass
I admit, I googled it!
Old 25-10-2016, 12:14   #19

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

I posted this already, but it seems to have vanished.

There is an interesting approach to this here DIY Removable Table Fiddles

As I said in my previous post... Leave tall glasses at home. You just need a water bottle and whiskey glasses. The kind you find in a gift box of whiskey for free. Thick and heavy, they take a fall pretty good. Then just drink the whiskey. It has taken me some time to convince my wife i bought the whiskey for the free glasses. I have a full set of 8. I think she's still suspicious.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 12:59   #20

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I admit, I googled it!
Seadreaming, Mon Cher......Coonass and proud of it (but don't wear it on my sleeve, so-to-speak). I might be part French-Canadian, Caddo indian, and other stuff. Fiddles are important IMHO (no matter what kind). Depends on how they're used.
Old 26-10-2016, 11:42   #21

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

An easy approach to removable fiddles is to use bronze (or brass) pegs/dowel inserted into matching holes in the table.

Simple to make: take a properly sized slotted screw and turn the head off (mount the screw in a drill and use a file). Leave the slot and chamfer the end slightly. Screw a couple into the bottom of the fiddle and drill appropriate holes in the table. Insert fiddle. Done.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 12:24   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Fiddles are necessary. They are formed in corian. What is the problem?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 13:02   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like fiddles. I want them.

There can be more than one kind of fiddle on a boat. For example there can be a "Fiddle block" (named for its shape which resembles a fiddle).

Here is another thing about Fiddles:

I like traditional boats. Here is something I can share, as some sailors may not know this: a "fiddle board" or "fiddle" on traditional boats was a raised edge on a table (most know that) AND that STRINGS were used across the surface of the table or board (attached to the raised edge or "fiddle edge" ) and that then the strings (which were raised an inch or more by the edges) would keep cups, mugs, or other things from sliding across the table. The multiple strings going across the table then keeps things in place, and give it its name. The STRINGS are what make it appear like a "fiddle" (stringed musical instrument). Pretty cool eh? You could install fiddle strings on your own table too.The point is that it keeps things from sliding. So that it is not just about having something on the EDGE of the table that keeps things from falling off. Fiddle STRINGS can keep the item IN PLACE on the table. Nowadays the sticky, grippy, rubber mats serve that purpose, but back in the day....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	133964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	133965  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 09:52   #24

I am with the removable fiddle crowd, but I think that having the cut-off screw go into a piece of copper tube that is epoxied into the table/counter is better than just into a hole in the wood. Something to think about is that many fiddles are set wrong. The flat side should go to the inside of the counter/table with the sloped side to the outside. Think about the lip of a plate headed for a fiddle with the slope on the inside. It makes a perfect launch site to send the plate skyward. If the flat side is inward, the plate is much more likely to stop, even if some of the contents spill. Some spillage is easier to clean than a whole plate full. It is surprising how many are installed wrong. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 13:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I am with the removable fiddle crowd, but I think that having the cut-off screw go into a piece of copper tube that is epoxied into the table/counter is better than just into a hole in the wood. Something to think about is that many fiddles are set wrong. The flat side should go to the inside of the counter/table with the sloped side to the outside. Think about the lip of a plate headed for a fiddle with the slope on the inside. It makes a perfect launch site to send the plate skyward. If the flat side is inward, the plate is much more likely to stop, even if some of the contents spill. Some spillage is easier to clean than a whole plate full. It is surprising how many are installed wrong. ______Grant.
Yep, surprising many are angled on the inside. I guess that launches the plate or bowl higher for extra points! Removeable? Yeah, I've had them, by the time I figure out fitting the pins in the holes etc... I've already go the stuff at risk in the sink and don't need fiddles...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 13:42   #26

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Fiddles should be sized and spec'd to make a usable handhold.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-10-2016, 15:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Blebrant.
Thank you.
Blebrant is offline   Reply With Quote