Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2024, 05:27   #1

Boat: Sabre 30MIII
Three Concerning Survey Findings

I’m in the process of buying a 2012 Catalina 355. It was in Florida 5 or 6 years and in Michigan for the remainder. It’s currently stored outside (MI). Just finished surveying what could be evaluated and there were three issues of concern. thought maybe I could get an opinion or two by sharing on this forum.

1. Discolored standing water, dried residues and mold were noted in the forward bilge compartment beneath the forward section of the V-berth. (pics attached).

2. Separation noted in the sealant joint at the anchor roller assembly. Movement noted in assembly when tested (pic attached).

3. Elevated conductive readings of 40-60 on a scale of 0-100 were found in the areas of the chain plates on the port and starboard sides. No delamination or uneven in the area when tested with a percussive hammer.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7518.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	286098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7519.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	286099  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_7700.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	286100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_7678.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	286101  

Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 06:00   #2

Re: Three Concerning Survey Findings

I wouldn't be concerned about the water and mold.

The pulpit could be taking stress if the run the anchor rode over the pulpit without using snubbers. Were there elevated moisture readings in this area? Otherwise this could be rebedded and re-caulked. Go to an all chain rode and use snubbers off of the bow cleats.

Moisture in the chainplates with no dead soundings usually indicates that it's a new leak. You'd have to find it and fix the leak. Anywhere in the area were a hole is drilled is suspect. (toe rail, cleat, stanchion, padeye, etc.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 07:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

3. Is there a metal backplate, behind the high moisture reading?

In moisture surveys, metal is a moisture meter’s worst enemy. Contact with metal makes for moisture meter false readings. Areas that are actually dry will seem incredibly moist.
It’s not hard to troubleshoot, when a meter’s measurements are skewed by metal. When a meter comes in contact with metal, the readings will spike to the top of the scale. While investigating further, in the immediate area around the metal, readings will drop off sharply and abruptly, once the meter no longer making contact.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 14:38   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Agree with Shrew... get some bleach and paper towels and wipe down the forward bilge compartment. Shoot some new goop into the seam along the anchor roller. Use some more of it around the chainplates (lifting the plate & getting it under there and in the fastener holes) to stop any water incursions.
If that's all the surveyor found it makes it look like the boat is almost brand new and stored inside its whole life. A 10 year-old boat should have more problems than this. How long did the surveyor take?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 14:58   #5

Boat: Sabre 30MIII

thanks for all the replies.

This was just an initial survey, didn't have power and the boat is covered so a lot we couldn't get to. We were there for about 5 hours. We have 10% ($17k) in escrow to be used for repairs identified during sea trial.

After further research, I've learned quite a bit. This boat has the optional retractable bowsprit. Looks like prior to 2014 or 2015, there were instances of the anchor roller separating from the hull due to the upward force. Apparently Catalina redesigned in '14 or '15. I think the solution is to have the seller pay to have a bobstay installed.

I currently own a 1992 Sabre 30 MKIII. I'm the third owner and it's a freshwater boat. And it's the only boat I've owned, so not a lot of experience with other boats. We love our Sabre, but my wife and I would like a little more space. The boat we are in the process of buying is a nice boat, but it's not built like the Sabre. And, seeing what a few years in a saltwater environment can do was a little depressing. Guess I'm spoiled.

It's good to hear all of your positive feedback. Thanks much.
Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 11:15   #6

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

It's always a happy time buying a new to you boat, if a bit stressful. Personally, if the bobstay is the standard fix, I'd get a realistic estimate for adding one and knock that cost off your agreed upon price rather than have the current owner do it. It's standard to renegotiate based on survey results and you have control over the work that way, not the current owner whose interest would be in getting the job done as cheaply as possible.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 12:06   #7

Boat: Hunter 38

FWIW two surveys on my boat indicated water intrusion into the core in the same area based on meter readings.

That area of the deck is solid fg.

Take moisture meter readings with a large dose of salt. Good article on maine sail's site as I recall.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 15:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
3. Is there a metal backplate, behind the high moisture reading?

In moisture surveys, metal is a moisture meter’s worst enemy. Contact with metal makes for moisture meter false readings. Areas that are actually dry will seem incredibly moist.
It’s not hard to troubleshoot, when a meter’s measurements are skewed by metal. When a meter comes in contact with metal, the readings will spike to the top of the scale. While investigating further, in the immediate area around the metal, readings will drop off sharply and abruptly, once the meter no longer making contact.
I am in complete agreement with Gord. This article on my website shows how to tell when the moisture meter is telling fibs.
Moisture Meter Mythology and Flir thermal imager

Tags
survey