Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 14:37   #1

Boat: Creala 40 ( Crealock )
Question Through Hull Fittings

I have an eleven year old Taiwan made yacht of good quality. Several of my through hull cocks are seized or at least i am not game to really force the issue while in the water. All the ones that i could move are really stiff. They all appear to be in good condition externally. I would suggest they are bronze but not sure. Any suggestions?
Ian McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 14:49   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
I just replaced all of my thruhulls and seacocks with groco bronze. Buy directly from groco and get a much better deal than buying via outlet. 11 years for non-rebuildable seacocks is plenty of life served. I've heard that ball valve seacocks should be replaced, or at least removed and cleaned every 6-8 years. Won't cost too terribly much, our bill for 3 flanged 3/4, 3 ball valves, 1 1 1/2" flanged all with mating thruhulls and a installation cone tool was about $400 shipped. Not too bad I thought.
Old 06-11-2011, 14:56   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: through hull fittings

Most of the Graco and some other well known brand seacocks are rebuildable for 1/4 of the new price. New seats, seals and a plastic ball for Graco.
Old 06-11-2011, 16:48   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Through Hull Fittings

I would try to identify the fittings. If they are OK externally and the boat is old, they may be bronze. If so, they will be well worth keeping / rebuilding.

Maybe if you post pictures others will be able to tell you what the fittings are?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 17:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Maybe if you post pictures others will be able to tell you what the fittings are?

b.
It should say on the handle.
Old 06-11-2011, 17:19   #6

are they tapered bronze or valves? Taiwan tapered are great and easily freed and fixed...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 17:27   #7

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mates. To add to Cheechako comments above, if they are tapered and have a backing nut, ease off a bit on the nut, give a tap or two on the handle to try to move. I have a small piece of pipe that I put over the handle to get a little more leverage. At the next haul-out I would recommend completely removing the tapered plug, clean it up and coat with a product made by Akszo Nobel's International, called Res-Q-Steele. Keeps them from seizing and also give a nice watertight fit when you tighten them up. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 17:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'day, mates. To add to Cheechako comments above, if they are tapered and have a backing nut, ease off a bit on the nut, give a tap or two on the handle to try to move. I have a small piece of pipe that I put over the handle to get a little more leverage. At the next haul-out I would recommend completely removing the tapered plug, clean it up and coat with a product made by Akszo Nobel's International, called Res-Q-Steele. Keeps them from seizing and also give a nice watertight fit when you tighten them up. All the best. Cheers.
Ditto! If so you can go to Maine Sail's web for some good info. >>> Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Old 06-11-2011, 18:04   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It should say on the handle.
Depends on the make. Cobranco does not. Vetus neither. I think Groco and Lavac do, but they are obvious anyway.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 19:58   #10

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

Sea cocks need to be cycled periodically. When I bought my boat, it had remained unused for 6 years and the holding tank overboard discharge sea cock was so stiff it took both hands and some real grunt to move it. Now after 5 years of cycling the valve every visit, it moves relatively easily with one hand. A little lube in the form of cooking oil helps as well. My .02.
Old 06-11-2011, 23:35   #11

Boat: Creala 40 ( Crealock )

Thanks for all that. I,ll have a better look at them and see what they are. It won't be for a month or so but I will report back. It never occurred to e that they could be a tapered plug type. I think I would have noticed but perhaps a senior moment.
Ian McD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thru hull