Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2023, 01:23   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Through hull sealant that can go in water before cured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
If you use 5200, it will never come off. I would use BoatLife Life Caulk. Cures under water. Seals well. Comes off when you want it off.
BoatLIFE Life-Calk is a polysulfide [thiokol] sealant, that can be applied underwater.
Many Polysulfide sealants, including Life-Calk, require a primer.*
* Step 3 ➥ https://www.boatlife.com/wp-content/...lkR-1-PART.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 02:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Jim you are so right, I have used Sikaflex to install plenty of skin fittings. Often while the boat is hanging in the slings and then straight back in the water. Never had an issue or else I would have looked for another sealant. I suppose that's why all those words are on the back of the tube, one of these days I will get around to reading them.
Cheers

Well you're not quite right Fore and Aft....
let me explain...
If you sika an underwater component and then the next day splash the boat then the sika will never cure and remain like chewing gum. Of course in the case of your skin fitting, you do not know this as the Sika is under the skin fitting right, not available for you to touch.
The only reason that I know this is that I was testing along time ago and had excess sika on the outside of the skin fitting, then splashed the boat the next day.
It's probably not a bad thing..a bit of chewing gum under the fitting!

Its all in the Sikaflex instructions should you care to read them...
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 07:06   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2
Re: Through hull sealant that can go in water before cur

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Real men replace the thru hull in the water!
Actually, I have done that, though not the entire thru-hull (and this may be your case). It was a Marelon fitting that was overly tight and the handle snapped off - actually the square shaft on the ball that the handle fits over broke.
I bought a new fitting exactly the same as the existing one, inserted a wine cork in the opening from the outside. I then unscrewed the inner part of the valve, leaving the thru-hull portion in place, and installed the new valve side. IIRC I then pushed the cork out through the open valve from inside with a screwdriver, closed the valve and reconnected the hose.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 07:45   #19

Why wouldn’t you use butyl sealant ? It never cures anyway .
Warren149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 07:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I believe that most of the polyurethane sealants will cure underwater...

Jim
if the old one can still be opened perhaps Reith difficulty and it has thread on the inside, find a suitable peace of plumbing and mount a second valve pn there
By the time you are dry somewhere, you can set things right.
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 08:51   #21

I agree with the fast cure option Don’t splash till cured, 1 hour.
I have used the slow cure, splashed the boat. Water seepage, small and liveable, not like the boats going to sink.
There is pressure on the uncurled sealant and depending how well seated the thru-hill is can push the sealant out.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 09:36   #22

Quote:
If you use 5200, it will never come off. I would use BoatLife Life Caulk.
I used boat Life Life 'calk' on my keel hull joints and they still leak. I'm curious to know what you used it on that was satisfactory. Boat Life will never see another dime from me.
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 09:44   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren149 View Post
Why wouldn’t you use butyl sealant ? It never cures anyway .
True, but that is its weakness too. Where I have used butyl it continues to ooze after you think you have snugged down the joint and then the joint becomes less than snug.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 11:07   #24

Boat: sailboat

Polysulfide is water cure, splash immediately. Don't know of any existing brands except Boat Life, and their quality is ... ok.

What you didn't say is what your fitting is made of - bronze or plastic. Bronze, use polysulfide or 3M 4000 or 4200, forgot which is best. Plastic, do not use polysulfide, only the 3M product/s.

Anybody who tells you to use 5200 is either naive or hates you.
NEVER use butyl rubber tape below the waterline.

Schedule your haulout at 11:AM or just before lunch, that way you get two hours in the slings.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 11:31   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The fittings I will be using is made from bronze.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 13:07   #26

Boat: sailboat

Forgot to mention, if your boat's PO was stupid/ignorant/gullible enough to use 5200 on the current fitting, you won't be able to renew it in an hour or two. Schedule your haulout when the yard has time and room to block your boat for a day or two to remove the broken fitting.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 13:49   #27

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

Quote:
If you use 5200, it will never come off. I would use BoatLife Life Caulk.
Use 3M 4200. Almost as strong as 5200 and it is possible (with difficulty) to remove down the road.
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 22:58   #28

Boat: Pearson 386

I would probably use 3M 4200 fast cure. I suspect you may need a little more time in the slings than you think because first you must release the old, clean the surfaces, and then install the new. On fiberglass I use lacquer thinner, not acetone for cleaning. There is a distinct difference between replacing a bronze seacock which is one piece, which may have been installed as it should typically with 3 silicon bronze bolts, and replacing a thru-hull fitting and ball valve (two pieces). I'm guessing you'll need two hours in the slings, maybe less, depending on how quick you are. Some marinas may let you hang overnight at no extra charge. Make sure you have everything you need before you're hauled.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 05:49   #29
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The story about not being able to remove fittings when 5200 was used is a myth. Here is how to do this:

Put two hole saws on a single arbor. First the large one of the diameter used for the hole through the hull, then the small one that just fits inside the old fitting.

Start drilling until you have a good start on the flange. Now remove the smaller hole saw and continue with just the big one until you cut through the flange. Use a hammer and chisel to remove the flange.

When you remove the seacock/valve on the inside, I normally continue to use the hole saw until the fitting is pushed through. If that doesn’t happen, simply drill all the way through. Doesn’t take more than a couple of minutes.

I have one leaking fitting and this is where I used polysulfide. It is just above the waterline but it is a plastic fitting. I now only use 5200, the one that takes 7 days to cure. I believe it’s best to let antifouling cure for a minimum of 5 days so fits the schedule perfectly.

That said, for immediate launch this won’t work and I have no experience with that.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 10:46   #30

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

If I had to replace a bronze thru hull whilst in the water, I would use 5200 without a second thought.
As to its permanency with that use?
No, applied against a dirty wet surface, (underwater,) does not result in the same level of adhesion as would be so if used on a dry surface which has been abraded and chemically cleaned with Acetone/Alcohol.
Anyone afraid of difficulties in removal, (or ease of installation,) needs a thru hull wrench.
The little "T" handle works for installation.
Even with 5200, when you put a big wrench on the flats that thru hull will come out.

Tags
hull, sealant, water