Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2024, 15:53   #1

through hulls going bad?

I apologize if this has been covered before. Couldn't find those.

We are at least close (in year count) to needing to change some to many Groco bronze through hull / valves. They mostly 'look' like they are in good shape. They all pass the kick test and the valves are all operable.

We plan to replace most of them them for sure next winter and the question for me is, can I splash and sail on them for 3 months. It's an impossible question to know their true status but if the valves work, is there really an immediate issue?

I'm looking for first hand experience with failing through hull/ valves. Have you seen a through hull or valve break and let water in, just all on it's own? Is that a thing?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Trevor
boatsisboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 16:25   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: through hulls going bad?

I can't really help you but I'm certain my replacements will be TruDesign.

https://www.trudesign.nz/marine/prod...fittings-domed

Did you read this?
General Info Through Hull Warning! - Page 2

Cruisers Forumhttps://www.cruisersforum.com ›
forums › through-h...

24 Apr 2013 — Inspect the through hulls when the boat is hauled paying close attention to the pink disease (electrolysis), remove and inspect maybe every ten ...

Seacock warning, probably most relevant to Australians
4 Feb 2020

When should thru hull fittings be replaced? - Cruisers Forum
14 Mar 2007

Yikes! Thru-Hull Corrosion! - Page 3 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
8 Oct 2009

What do you think of my thru hull condition? - Cruisers Forum
5 July 2021

More results from www.cruisersforum.com
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 17:17   #3

Thanks coopec43

I appreciate the links and have just gone through them. No instances of through hulls or seacocks breaking off discussed there. But, plenty of warnings to not bump them or let gear roll into them. Makes sense and lots of good info in there otherwise.

So far ours check out and there no sign of electrolysis.

Thanks
Old 14-01-2024, 17:36   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsisboats View Post
needing to change some to many Groco bronze through hull / valves.
Just as a "point of reference", so to speak, what kind of Groco seacocks are they?
This in an original SV series, they went out of production back in the '90s.

The newer FBV series replaced the SV models, it's basically a ball valve with an integral mounting plate/base.
Or, do you just have a Groco ball valve screwed onto a thru hull?
Old 14-01-2024, 17:49   #5

Hey Bowdrie
Ours are far newer than that example. As far as I can tell some are Groco TH through hulls with IBV valves. I believe these are newer on the boat
The older ones are also bronze through hulls as far as I can tell with aluminum bodied, red handled valves.
The boat is a 2000. I believe some of these older options may be og.
Old 14-01-2024, 17:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks coopec43

So far ours check out and there no sign of electrolysis.
Be wary of advice from anyone who uses the term "electrolysis". Electrolysis is an induced process found in industry and laboratories in which the anode is positive and the cathode is negative whereas on your boat it’s the anode that is negative and the cathode which is positive … Electrolysis simply cannot occur on a boat.
Old 14-01-2024, 18:19   #7

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
As far as I can tell some are Groco TH through hulls with IBV valves. I believe these are newer on the boat
The older ones are also bronze through hulls as far as I can tell with aluminum bodied, red handled valves.
First off, a bronze thru with an aluminum bodied valve?
No, No, No, say it ain't so.
Ok, in Groco parlance your "TH" means "thru hull", the "IBV" is "independent ball valve".
You'll have to arrive at what is best for you.
That said, and since you don't have any bolt holes in the hull from existing or previous "Seacocks", Groco gives you an option that is worthwhile to at least consider.
That is the "IBVF", "Independent Ball Valve Flange", with them installed, (2>3 different ways,) you can then install/remove/replace the actual ball valve as you wish, (not married to a Groco product either).
Old 29-04-2024, 06:01   #8

Boat: Allied 42 XL2

A lot of information has been presented in this thread. One question I did not see answered was: How many people have experienced total failure of properly installed bronze thru hulls, not hose failure, but thru hull failure that required the use of a plug?

I have seen comments about broken Marlon valves, but none about bronze thru hulls.

I have had three boats, all built in 1980 plus or minus, and used in salt water. All of these boats still had the original bronze thru hulls, some were screw flanged, some were bolt flanged, all worked fine with minimal maintenance.
crosswire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 22:23   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:

We are at least close (in year count) to needing to change some to many Groco bronze through hull / valves. They mostly 'look' like they are in good shape. They all pass the kick test and the valves are all operable.

We plan to replace most of them them for sure next winter and the question for me is, can I splash and sail on them for 3 months. It's an impossible question to know their true status but if the valves work, is there really an immediate issue?

I'm looking for first hand experience with failing through hull/ valves. Have you seen a through hull or valve break and let water in, just all on it's own? Is that a thing?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Trevor

Hope this helps:https://marinehowto.com/category/plumbing/
Old 30-04-2024, 00:22   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Hey Bowdrie
Ours are far newer than that example. As far as I can tell some are Groco TH through hulls with IBV valves. I believe these are newer on the boat
The boat is a 2000. I believe some of these older options may be og.
Oh my. Please make pictures of each and every one and post them here.

If you have genuine Groco seacocks that were installed correctly, you will not need to replace them for life.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 03:41   #11

Quote:

Who’s “year count” are you going by here? Properly installed and maintained bronze valve have an indefinite life. 40, 50 years is not unusual. Especially Groco valves which are easily kept lubricated.

Failure of thruhull fittings is very rare, but does happen. Plastic valves break if they are not exercised and lubricated. Those terrible brass valves that a lot of European builder installed can certainly corrode to the point of failure. And even bronze if subjected to stray current corrosion.

Scratch the surface. Look for the telltale pink color of spongy copper as a result of loss of alloying metals. Include this as a routine inspection of each fitting at each haulout. If not present, they are good to go.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull