Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2024, 14:08   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Tiller Pilot Covers

Although they are rated waterproof, I've had one die in the past from water intrusion. Like most electronics, they pull vacuum when a summer thunderstorm hits them and lowers the temperature of the enclosure from maybe 130F to 70F in a few minutes. They leak either through the case seal or the piston seal. I'm sure the o-ring could be serviced, but that involves cracking the case seal, which will then probably leak.

Covers seem fairly common in the UK (rains a lot) but not here. Anyone know of a source? I could sew my own, but I'd also like to look at more designs; most don't cover the piston, and that feels like a mistake.

I really can't imagine why you would make it black, since this is a good way to cook it--the sun must not shine much there.

Old 28-06-2024, 14:36   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Tiller Pilot Covers

Thinwater:

Lovely puzzle. Maybe make it out of white pvc, with a clear window of thin, clear pvc, and don't sew it, you'd get breathing through the stitch holes, although maybe that's not critical (one of the UK ones had the "window" stitched in). You'd need to bond it with the kind of glue that melts the pvc, to get a good seal. No matter how you fasten it, air will go in and out and the air is salty and damp, and dirty near highways and under flight paths. It will be a pita to keep clean.

Ann
Old 28-06-2024, 15:50   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Thinwater:

Lovely puzzle. Maybe make it out of white pvc, with a clear window of thin, clear pvc, and don't sew it, you'd get breathing through the stitch holes, although maybe that's not critical (one of the UK ones had the "window" stitched in). You'd need to bond it with the kind of glue that melts the pvc, to get a good seal. No matter how you fasten it, air will go in and out and the air is salty and damp, and dirty near highways and under flight paths. It will be a pita to keep clean.

Ann

Good questions.

In fact, PVC windows bond very well with VHB tape, if the surface is properly cleaned. I did it on a dodger once as an experiment. You also need to prep the fabric; a coat of contact cement worked. Very fast.

Normally the underside is sort of open, like rain gear, at most sealed with Velcro. It will breath. Also, condensation is unlikely because the motor produces some heat, like a 10 W bulb.

I can't imaging leaving it on. The tiller pilot is not left on the tiller in the marina. It would only be used occasionally, when it rains, so dirt is not a factor.

I will need to test what weight PVC window will work. Maybe 20 mil.

Perhaps the solution to covering the piston seal is as simple as making it a little long. The normal sailing range of motion of the piston is less than 1". It only travels farther during tacking and significant course changes.
Old Yesterday, 02:49   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Maybe I don't see the problem?

If you just want a protective waterproof cover why not make a fiberglass inverted "U" shaped cover? Would it need a corrugated bellow at the piston end?

Maybe there is PVC channel that would fit over the tiller?

Did you see this article?

Making a Tiller Pilot Cover

Making a Tiller Pilot Cover

https://www.google.com.au/search?sca...&bih=587&dpr=1
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:07   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

What make is your tiller pilot? (There are a lot of covers for sale on eBay)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12379884...Bk9SR6j0kLeMZA
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote