Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2015, 04:59   #1

Boat: Catalina
Timber rejuvenation ?

Hi Folks,

Im sure this has been done before, but ive never found a succinct answer, so Im going to try myself !

I own a 80's vintage Catalina and am interested in sprucing up the interior timber and timber veneer.

Its all in OK shape, however there are areas that have been lightened significantly due to sun/uv and water exposure.

Im not necessarily after a bristol or boatshow finish, I just want to try and get some colour into the lighter parts of the timber to match the rest (even if I have to go a shade darker?)

I dont have any experience with timber... (I dont even know what timber is used in a Catalina interior ?!!?) so was hoping that there would be some form of stain I could use to slowly build up the colour in the timber thats faded, with minimal prep.

Any thoughts would be most welcome !

Thanks !
TopperHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 05:19   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Timber rejuvenation ?

The reason the wood goes lighter is due to the varnish/lacquer is separating from the wood in micro spots. If you want it darker the old stuff has to be stripped and a new layer to soak into the wood, giving it that wet look. You have to sand enough to get back to original wood.

If the wood has been wet from flooding it may never come back. Soaking with a diluted epoxy may get the stained spots back.
Old 18-01-2015, 05:27   #3

Boat: Catalina
Re: Timber rejuvenation ?

Thankyou for the advice....

To my uneducated eye, it dosent look like the original catalina internal timber was varnished ?

Yes, some of the timber was submerged and has really bleached - its many shades lighter than the rest.... my again uneducated optinion was that I might just have to experiment with some different stains or oils....but I have always been afraid of it looking horrible and being stuck with it !!
TopperHarley is offline   Reply With Quote