Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 11:05   #46

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Tipping is a personal thing. I know one man that never tips, not even in a restaurant. He believes that the full cost should be in the bill, tip included. I never go to a restaurant with him, because I know I'll have to make up the difference in the tip because of the way he thinks. One time we moored at a location where they ferry people back and forth to shore from their boats. The moorings were dirt cheap because the city that contracted with the mooring company, would only allow them to charge a certain amount. To try and offset this loss on the moorings and ferry service, the business also ran a yard and convenience store. I knew about this situation so after our ferry operator took us back to our boat the first time, I slyly palmed $20.00 to operator which was very thankful. From then on whenever we wanted to get to shore or my boat, the operator went out his way to ferry us. The man I was with saw I gave a tip to the operator (same guy that doesn't tip in restaurants), and said he wouldn't have tipped the operator because of his belief. I could tip if I wanted, but he wasn't going to help with the tip. I now don't sail with this man anymore, because I don't care to hang with cheap asses.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 11:33   #47

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
I have just gone through this exactly not half an hour ago. Pulling out a friends 48 foot Privilege cat. He had to go back to a yard he has had a bad time at..... the same one I have used before with nothing but excellent service. I sat with him and made him go and tip the guys before he started, as he had never done so in the past three times.... then go get them cold drinks afterwards...... It was day and n ight and he stated " it opened my eyes to why they had hated to help me with anything ever before." This time they went and helped him haul out his dingy, got his stairs for the boat.... carefully laid out the wood and chocked his boat right there and then... all stuff that NEVER had happened before. I expect he will have a much more pleasant time in the yard this year.

I asked the guy in charge of the crane and he kinna laughed and said " No tip ..... no service...... no tip twice.... shitty service...... If we do a shitty job.. damage your boat or whatever we dont expect a tip.... Our job is ONLY to get you out of the water and onto the hard. You want anything else then you tip us for the extra effort. If you're having a hard time with the yard / haul out guys... go tip them you may be amazed at the difference.

Grunzter.... I imagine if your dock lines were hanging off the side of your boat they were used for someone else's haul out lines and not returned..... But the better the relationship you have with the dock yard guys... the better your experience will be in the yard. It doesn't have to be a lot or even money.... drop off cold drinks on a hot day....just do something to show you appreciate the effort they put in.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 12:02   #48
Armchair Bucketeer

I used to work in a punter facing role where an ongoing relationship was part of the deal, mostly letter and telephone but the odd face to face meeting.

The one's I really hated were those who thought I had any interest in being there freind and listening to their lives and also those who thought that having sh#t loads of money made them interesting.........

.........the really annoying f#ckers got their bills loaded

I never got many tips But then again I was already earning a living wage
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 21:17   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
In Trinidad, the travelift crew was disappearing the minute the boat hit the water unless they got tipped--no one left to help you out of the slip. The fuel dock lady wanted ME to put the hoses away. In Newport I had to press the fuel dock attendant repeately for my change. Sorry, but these bad attitudes have been caused by the big tippers.
And that's the point where I disconnect the straps myself and just let them drop in the water. Beg for your change? Yet another reason to put everything on the the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
Our job is ONLY to get you out of the water and onto the hard. You want anything else then you tip us for the extra effort. If you're having a hard time with the yard / haul out guys... go tip them you may be amazed at the difference.
Well then there you go. I'm doing all my own work. I think I may have even moved a stand or two and a few of the blocks myself. I don't ask for anything. I don't expect anything, other than a ride from the water to the yard and back. Even according to your crane operator, it sounds like all my yard guys did was their job, and nothing that really calls for a tip. Also, I have a feeling they don't get paid too bad at this place, considering it's a municipal harbor at an uppity Jersey shore town. Not sayin that I won't throw them a few cold ones, just because I'm a nice guy.

Quote:
Grunzter.... I imagine if your dock lines were hanging off the side of your boat they were used for someone else's haul out lines and not returned..... But the better the relationship you have with the dock yard guys... the better your experience will be in the yard. It doesn't have to be a lot or even money.... drop off cold drinks on a hot day....just do something to show you appreciate the effort they put in.
Try in one of the lockers in my cockpit. When I returned, the moving straps that I was forced to buy, even though it was WAY after hurricane season. were rolled up nice and neat in the same locker, and the lines were gone. Very little doubt that it was either someone who worked there, or the guy with the boat next to me, when he got sick of the straps flapping in the breeze and coming a little too close to his boat.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 04:02   #50
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

The one's I really hated were those who thought I had any interest in being there freind

..........................also those who thought that having sh#t loads of money made them interesting.........

.........the really annoying f#ckers got their bills loaded

I never got many tips
David - I'm really not very surprised. You're supposed to be nice to people (esp the annoying rich ones) if you want them to tip you!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 04:05   #51

Like I said... you don't haaave to tip.....but make sure the yard guys are taken care of or they will let you know one way or another.......
Old 19-08-2010, 07:50   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
or they will let you know one way or another.......
Just another reason to avoid marinas like the plague. I think I'll just beach her for future bottom jobs.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:57   #53

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Having to tip in order to get the work you're already paying for done properly is ridiculous. If that's the case you need to find a different yard. I can see tipping for exceptional work or even just being nice and bringing food or drinks when you stop by, but no one should expect or require a tip just to do the job they're being paid to do. That's f***ed.

As for restaurants, I only tip because that is the standard practice in the US, and the amount varies depending on the level of service provided. However, those who believe that waitstaff lose money when they don't get tipped are incorect. At least in California, employers are allowed to pay less than minimum wage as long as the difference is made up in tips. If tips are insufficient, the employer is required by law to pay more to meet the minimum wage.
Heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 10:50   #54

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Talking I knew it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Pizza?
Why not a roll of some nice French Brie, a few Baguettes, a bottle of Chateauneuf-de-Pape with some cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off? Some crystal wine glasses and a table cloth would be nice as well!
So now I know why my yard is so expensive. People in Weschester County are subverting the national interest and encouraging proletarian revolt by plying yard workers with Patrician food stuffs. What's next? Pate and Caviar? Between this abomination and demands for gratuities the entire fabric of Capitalism is in danger.... What's a yachty to do?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 18:47   #55
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
What's a yachty to do?
Live on the hook and beach her to do bottom work.
Old 19-08-2010, 19:17   #56

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I now don't sail with this man anymore, because I don't care to hang with cheap asses.
I'm sure your current circle of friends will be pleased to know they have been chosen by how freely they throw their money around.

Here's a pedestal for you to climb up on.

Old 19-08-2010, 19:58   #57

Just another reason to avoid marinas like the plague. I think I'll just beach her for future bottom jobs.

Agreed 100%!
Old 20-08-2010, 07:53   #58

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
As for restaurants, I only tip because that is the standard practice in the US, and the amount varies depending on the level of service provided. However, those who believe that waitstaff lose money when they don't get tipped are incorect. At least in California, employers are allowed to pay less than minimum wage as long as the difference is made up in tips. If tips are insufficient, the employer is required by law to pay more to meet the minimum wage.
That's well and good if you can live off of minimum wage... Around where I live it's $8.75 an hour. After taxes if you work 70 hours a week you should be able to afford your rent, in the winter you get to choose if your going to starve to death or freeze to death. But this has nothing to do with boating.

Tipping is a bonus paid directly to the person getting the job done. If I see someone going above and beyond the call of duty (doing more that their job description) for me, I tip. If the job they are doing for me is execeptinaly good, I tip. If I know they are working for next to nothing and they make their living off of people like me who do have more being free with there money, I tip. If she is really cute and I want her to remember me the next time she sees me, I tip (some times too much).

Now I never tip before I get the service. If your rude or impatient, no tip for you. I have no issues giving a tip to selected workers. I wouldn't tip everyone in the yard when only three guys are helping me. And if one of the three helping me is lazy and un-helpful... Guess what, no tip for him.

As for buying a coffee or soft drinks. It's the human thing to do, that's not tipping, that's building a relationship. Yes if your more than just a dick with a boat, the guys in the yard that are more than just a dick with a crane are going to look out for you first. As for beer, no I don't want to see the running equipment with a cold one in their hand but you can normally tell if the have that inclination before you pop a top with the boys.

But those are my thoughts, money is the grease they are the gears we are the drive.
Thorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 08:53   #59

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
I thought this was going to be a discussion on a variant on cow tipping.

-Sven
Old 20-08-2010, 17:34   #60

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
Having to tip in order to get the work you're already paying for done properly is ridiculous. If that's the case you need to find a different yard. I can see tipping for exceptional work or even just being nice and bringing food or drinks when you stop by, but no one should expect or require a tip just to do the job they're being paid to do. That's f***ed.

I believe that California State law doesn't allow the tip credit you're talking about, and the minimum wage is $8.00 an hour. I also believe restaurants that provide a meal, can pay less than $8.00 an hour.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote