Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2019, 11:11   #1

Tips for two-part poly paints

I picked up a two component polyurethane paint product to do some touch up work around the cockpit and deck here in Panama. It's an automotive product, and is probably designed to be sprayed.

Anyway, I'm trying to roll and tip (actually brush and tip) but am having trouble getting any decent results. I'm practicing on a toilet seat that needs to be repainted, and have done the appropriate cleaning and sanding prep work.

It's a 6 to 1 to 3 on the label, paint, activator, solvent, but I have to assume that's for spraying. In any case, my issue is that one, the paint doesn't seem to self level, and two, it sets very quickly making it difficult to keep a wet edge and providing very little time to tip. I feel like the paint is sufficiently thinned.

Right now I'm using foam brushes for these tests. Should I expect my issues to go away when switching to a roller application? Any other tips to get acceptable results?

In contrast, I rolled and tipped the entire hull (not deck) with a 1-part paint a few years ago (ezpoxy) and it was easy to roll and tip and have excellent results.
scuttlebooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 17:00   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Tips for two-part poly paints

I tried to roll and tip (with a helper) and the results were disastrous. I happened to be in at the paint manufacturer/distributor and related the sad experience to the guy behind the counter.

His jaw dropped and he said "Why didn't you tell us you were rolling and tipping because we have three different "Part Bs" : one for spray painting, a medium and a slow. I would have recommended the medium for rolling and tipping in this weather"
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 17:24   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I tried to roll and tip (with a helper) and the results were disastrous. I happened to be in at the paint manufacturer/distributor and related the sad experience to the guy behind the counter.

His jaw dropped and he said "Why didn't you tell us you were rolling and tipping because we have three different "Part Bs" : one for spray painting, a medium and a slow. I would have recommended the medium for rolling and tipping in this weather"
And the Altex Elite LPU that I used on the deck had a brushing and a spraying thinner. In my case, even with the brushing thinner it was hard to get consistent results, as the thinner flashed off the paint in the tray very quickly, and that changed the wet edge time and the leveling degree.

There are reports that there is a newer International product that works brilliantly when R&Ted... will try that next time!

Jim
Old 30-06-2019, 17:38   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttlebooty View Post
Anyway, I'm trying to roll and tip (actually brush and tip) but am having trouble getting any decent results. I'm practicing on a toilet seat that needs to be repainted, and have done the appropriate cleaning and sanding prep work.

So many places to go with this one. All of them so wrong.

On the upside, you probably won’t have to worry about sliding off the toilet in rough weather.
Old 30-06-2019, 18:06   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
I picked up a two component polyurethane paint product to do some touch up work around the cockpit and deck here in Panama. It's an automotive product, and is probably designed to be sprayed.

It's a 6 to 1 to 3 on the label, paint, activator, solvent, but I have to assume that's for spraying. In any case, my issue is that one, the paint doesn't seem to self level, and two, it sets very quickly making it difficult to keep a wet edge and providing very little time to tip. I feel like the paint is sufficiently thinned.

Right now I'm using foam brushes for these tests. Should I expect my issues to go away when switching to a roller application? Any other tips to get acceptable results?

In contrast, I rolled and tipped the entire hull (not deck) with a 1-part paint a few years ago (ezpoxy) and it was easy to roll and tip and have excellent results.
We've has similar (bad) results with a two part polyurethane varnish. I have added thinner, thinner, thinner, and it has gotten marginally better. The paint store staff have no concept and have not offered me any slower hardener.

I'm thinking that marine products are going to work better than the stuff I get at the local paint strore.
Old 30-06-2019, 18:26   #6

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I applied Interlux Perfection to my cockpit and cabin top sides via roll and tip and had great results. I used foam rollers and a badger hair brush.

I prepped the entire surface, applied my primer and sanded and re-applied a second coat. I will say that the first coat of primer was brushed on and from that point on I looked at it and thought it was going to be awful.

The first coat of perfection went on and the brush marks showed through incredibly bad. I wet sanded with 360 grit and a foam block(wet sanding with a hose running constantly) knocked it down beautifully.

I applied 2 more coats afterwards and had a pretty good layup. I did wet sand between each coat and will say wet sanding really helps out. My 3rd coat applied, I made the mistake of cheaping out and not switching out to new rollers often enough. The end result is that there are some "chunks" in the paint from the foam roller. If i decide that I need a new project next year, I will do a light wet sand and apply one more coat of perfection(or two), and wont cheap out this time.

Things I learned:
  • Tip off vertically, not horizontally(less chance of seeing sags)
  • Use high quality brushes
  • Wet sand between coats
  • Roll it on, dont brush it, you'll always be battling brush strokes
  • Work in shaded areas if it's warm out and your battling flashing off thinners
  • Prep the surface(wipe your 2x2sqft area with acetone right before R&T)
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:58   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

I have used Interlux Perfection and Perfection Plus and have been pleased with the results.

The reducer (thinner) for spraying is different than the reducer for brushing. In general the spray reducer will evaporate more quickly, and all at once. The brushing reducer is a combination of a fast solvent (for self-leveling without drips) and a slow solvent (for wet edge). Depending on the product, some of the solvent may be in the base rather than the reducer.

Since automotive products do not have a suitable brushing reducer matched to the chemistry of the base, you'll either have to experiment or choose a more suitable paint.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 16:33   #8

Boat: Shannon 38

We rolled and tipped a boat in Ft Lauderdale, at Playboy Marina. A professional, Basil, was kind enough to teach us how to thin the paint - he used much, much, much more solvent than instructions suggested. He said it should be the consistency of milk; it must run fast from the stirring stick when lifted, then do a fast drip/drip/drip or it wasn't thin enough. Hope that, with above excellent tips, helps. (The loss of Basil to stroke years ago is still mourned. The last time we were there,the yard had a rougher feel without his gentle presence.)
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 17:05   #9

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Since my disaster I have spoken to a painter and he said he wouldn't dream of rolling/tipping unless the paint was thinned 30%!!
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 17:27   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

+1 on lot's of thinner. In my experience, the paint needs to have the consistency of milk to roll and tip correctly. In warmer weather, the thinner also needs to constantly be topped up as painting progresses. Spraying thinner flashes off too quick, it'll be a tricky to roll and tip with acceptable results. You need brushing thinners which evaporate off slower.

Also, you roll and tip with a roller. The roller gets the paint smooth, but lots of bubbles and the brush is applied dry to bust the bubbles and level the finish.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:24   #11

Boat: Sabre 402

Automotive paints are also more likely formulated to work in controlled environments (paint sheds, ventilated garages with A/C, vehicle production facilities...) that have less humidity and temperature swings than than outdoors on the water. We've used Interlux with good results. Very patient and knowledgable help desk staff.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 07:12   #12

Unfortunately I can't get paints like those formulated for owner use, like interlux, down here.

In any case, after a lot of trial and error, I figured out proper thinning and activator proportions to achieve acceptable results. But it's definitely less forgiving than the interlux stuff.
scuttlebooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 07:45   #13

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't get paints like those formulated for owner use, like interlux, down here.

In any case, after a lot of trial and error, I figured out proper thinning and activator proportions to achieve acceptable results. But it's definitely less forgiving than the interlux stuff.
That is my experience too.
Old 21-07-2019, 08:23   #14

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

To get the thinner ratio correct,practice on a pane of glass.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 09:25   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

Get a viscosity cup so you can be consistent.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint