Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 19:30   #1

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS
Exclamation Tips on Rigging

Hi all

I know that for most of you this will sound silly, but I am a new sailor with very little experience....

How can I know if my rig is OK?

I have recently bought a Shipman 28, and the dude that sold me the boat, agent and boat mechanic, assured me that the rigging is good, but the other day I was out with the wife and the newborn and realise that the rig on leeward is always loose. Is that expected?

Regards
Andres
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 19:52   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Tips on rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshs1 View Post
Hi all

I know that for most of you this will sound silly, but I am a new sailor with very little experience....

How can I know if my rig is OK?

I have recently bought a Shipman 28, and the dude that sold me the boat, agent and boat mechanic, assured me that the rigging is good, but the other day I was out with the wife and the newborn and realise that the rig on leeward is always loose. Is that expected?

Regards
Andres

I don't think it's a silly question at all. If your rigging is tensioned right, sometimes you will see a loose shroud on the opposite side of the sail. But many, many people don't have the skills to tune your rigging.

I bought my current boat after survey. However, few surveyors in this area go up the mast. After I bought the boat I found out that the forestay had suffered a serious halyard warp. The forestay was seriously compromised. Friends immediately used spare halyards to secure the mast, and I had the forestay replaced.

I am now scheduled to have a professional rigger go over my rigging from A to Z. I would suggest you do the same. The mast is at its best when it's vertical, and all that ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 20:04   #3

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply,

I guess that I will do the same, just trying to find one that will not rip me off, the market here in Hong Kong is complicated, there are only 4 marinas, but only 1 with riggers, and then there is a private brokerage that also have riggers, but so freaking expensive...

Out of curiosity, how much will cost you the rigger?
I want to know as I haven't got a clue and don't want to end up paying like a fool...

regards
Andres
Old 23-09-2011, 20:43   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The mast should be straight under sail with the lee cap and lower shrouds slightly loose. When set up at the dock, the after lowers should be looser than the forward lowers. Take the boat out sailing and sight up the sail track to see if the mast is vertical and straight. If it is not, tighten or loosen the lee shrouds as necessary to bring the mast into column. Tack and repeat as necessary. The tension on the back stay should be tight enough so there is minimal sag in the head stay.

Don't worry so much about the lee shrouds or headstay being a little loose. Think most people sail with their rig to tight which is hard on the hull and needlessly stresses the hole rig. Head stay tension is really a recer's fetish so they can point that extra 1/2 degree higher. Something that is not that great a concern for a cruiser.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 09:12   #5

Re: Tips on Rigging

Hi

Thanks for the advice.
I have been on the boat today and pulling around the rig, and to my un-trained eye, it is pretty tight.....
I will check it out next weekend and measure how loose it gets.

Thanks
Andres
Old 24-09-2011, 09:24   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I don't think it's a silly question at all. If your rigging is tensioned right, sometimes you will see a loose shroud on the opposite side of the sail. But many, many people don't have the skills to tune your rigging.

Hi,

Did you mean to say on the same side of the sail, if on the stbd tack, the main is over on the port side, and the port side shouds should be a little slack
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 09:25   #7

On a cruising boat, the leeward side will be loose , especially in a good blow. I like to get mine to the point where in maybe 15 knots of wind, it has just a little slack in it. The mast should still be straight though.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 09:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The mast should be straight under sail with the lee cap and lower shrouds slightly loose. When set up at the dock, the after lowers should be looser than the forward lowers. Take the boat out sailing and sight up the sail track to see if the mast is vertical and straight. If it is not, tighten or loosen the lee shrouds as necessary to bring the mast into column. Tack and repeat as necessary. The tension on the back stay should be tight enough so there is minimal sag in the head stay.

Don't worry so much about the lee shrouds or headstay being a little loose. Think most people sail with their rig to tight which is hard on the hull and needlessly stresses the hole rig. Head stay tension is really a recer's fetish so they can point that extra 1/2 degree higher. Something that is not that great a concern for a cruiser.
Yeah.... what he said!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 11:11   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshs1 View Post
Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply,

I guess that I will do the same, just trying to find one that will not rip me off, the market here in Hong Kong is complicated, there are only 4 marinas, but only 1 with riggers, and then there is a private brokerage that also have riggers, but so freaking expensive...

Out of curiosity, how much will cost you the rigger?
I want to know as I haven't got a clue and don't want to end up paying like a fool...

regards
Andres

He charges $35 an hour and expects it to take about an hour to an hour and a half.

Can you talk to other sailors in the area? A lot of sailors have to have professionals do their rigging even when they can do a lot of other repairs themselves.
Old 24-09-2011, 11:13   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah.... what he said!
There's more to the rigging than the wires, though. If you can, check all the chain plates for corrosion and cracks. Sometimes that's very hard to do.
Old 24-09-2011, 12:48   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

You might want to look into a video by Brian Toss on how to tune your rig. He's a master rigger in Washington state and author of The Rigger's Apprentice. While you're at it, I also recommend his video on eye splicing.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 09:35   #12

That doesn't sound too bad, hope to find someone for a similar price!!
Talked to some of the guys around here, but no much choices, it seems the are all using the same guy.... I will give him a call on Monday and see....
The engine has started to act funny now...just my luck, hope not to need to sell a kidney to get all this fixed........

The videos from Brion Toss look very good indeed, watched a couple in youtube already, I will try to find more.

Regards
Andres

Tags
rigging