Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2021, 09:30   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988
To garboard or not to garboard

Back to water in the bilge on the hard which was a big problem for me last year. I plan to go over every inch of that boat when I haul to try to determine the source, (my current thinking is cracked cockpit or deck scupper drains). In the event I find nothing I am back to seriously considering a small garboard drain plug in the shallow bilge. I know...not ideal. Neither is crawling over snowbanks to chip and bail half frozen water.

So planning ahead...IF I do go in that direction, best to thread plug from outside or in? (I am leaning towards in side). Looking for the best install.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: To garboard or not to garboard

As long as the through hull is as strong as the sorround, I can't think of a reason not to. I certainly had a hole in the bottom of my boat while I was building it, for exactly your reasons, but I welded mine up when the boat was finished.

I'm inclined toward threads on the inside, because if they are on the outside, you don't have any control over the situation if it starts leaking. You don't need a big hole, so 1/4" or 3/8" pipe threads in a flange sounds about right.
Old 17-09-2021, 09:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Diane, here's a stainless steel one with a 1/2" hole.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste...003ULOJL2?th=1
Old 17-09-2021, 10:28   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

If you thread it from the inside you can get at it when the boat's hauled or when it's floating. If you thread it from the outside, stuff will grow on it and make it harder to open.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 11:13   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

My boat had a garboard plug installed by the builder. My bilge sump is very deep and narrow and the plug is at the very bottom. I suppose technically it's too low to be called a garboard plug. It could only be reached by a gorilla with 4ft arms, so the plug threads in from the outside. It never had a leak. I take the plug out when the boat is hauled and replace it just before it's launched.
Old 17-09-2021, 12:01   #6

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I put one in the deep bilge on my Bristol 41.1. I got it from Buck Algonquin, bronze. Mounted it on the outside. Never had a problem with growth or removing the plug when hauled. When surveyed, the surveyor liked the idea and has seen many boats install one.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 05:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post

@tkeithlu
It appears this has no neck/collar extending into the hole. Any idea what thickness I can expect to find when (IF) I drill? I am assuming it needs to extend through the opening and maybe have an exterior fitting to receive it?

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 07:02   #8

Boat: Currently boatless

I suggest looking for a bronze fitting with a neck and a backup plate. If you can't find one with a backup plate, it should be fairly easy to cut one using a drill press with a hole saw.

Installing the fitting with the flange on the outside of the hull will be much easier to make watertight than an installation from inside the hull.

By the way, you should always put some PTFE tape or PTFE paste on the plug threads to prevent leaking and to make sure it will easily come out at the end of the season.
Old 18-09-2021, 07:51   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

The drain I used is a flange with a neck that points in. I used a series of hole saws, starting with one the same diameter as the flange. I slowly drilled just deep enough to match the thickness of the flange. Changed to a smaller cup and did the same thing. I did that several times to remove some material and establish the depth. I then drilled the hole for the neck. I used my trim router with a flat bottom cutting bit and starting from the inside, routed the recessed area. The kerf from the hole saw cup was enough that I was able to get close to the outside edge to remove the hull material, but not nick the perfect edge the hole saw created. Installed bedded in 5200 with through machine screws and nuts and large washers.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 08:42   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 354

My boat has a garboard drain, but it is made of brass/bronze with a steel square key which stripped the brass fitting when I tried to remove the plug. It was a bad choice of materials as well as design. I had some accumulated water in the bilge when I pulled her at the beginning of the summer and had planned to drain it through the garboard drain. I ended up using a transfer pump to extract the water and a sponge & paper towels to get the last of it.

The better course of action is of course to find the water intrusion. Pretty sure mine was from a leak around the depth transducer. There might have been a small bit of water that came in through the hawsepipe for a secondary anchor during heavy rain. Pretty sure the cap was on backwards. No water in the boat since she has been on the hard and the hauspipe cap was turned around.

I'm not a fan of putting holes in the hull if I don't have too so I would suggest you avoid installing a garboard drain if possible. But that's just me.
Old 18-09-2021, 08:55   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

These things have been around for decades. Vast majority of power boats have them on the transom and many trawlers have them low on the keel (including mine).
https://www.amazon.com/XtremeAmazing...1980402&sr=8-2
Old 18-09-2021, 11:35   #12

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

almost mandatory if you live in a place where the bilge water can freeze when hauled up. I've seen very few boats where at least some rainwater doesn't find its wqy to the bilge
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 11:50   #13

There are good bronze garboard drain sockets and plugs. I would use one of those, usually done from the outside but? hmmmmmm....
Put some lanolin on the threads and it wont seize up.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 14:18   #14

Boat: Wellcraft Steplift V20 / Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
My boat had a garboard plug installed by the builder. My bilge sump is very deep and narrow and the plug is at the very bottom. I suppose technically it's too low to be called a garboard plug. It could only be reached by a gorilla with 4ft arms, so the plug threads in from the outside. It never had a leak. I take the plug out when the boat is hauled and replace it just before it's launched.
My Ericson 27 had an outboard one. It was bronze 3/8" if I recall correctly. I thought it was a good idea and plan on putting on in my Aloha this winter. I never had any problems at all.
aa1bflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 18:00   #15

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

I have had one of these bronze drains with brass plug installed for 15 yrs. I remove/install the plug with a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench spring & fall. I use a little teflon plumbing paste on threads(teflon tape would work too). Don't overtighten. Never had a problem,no corrosion,no leaks,no jamming.
Don't forget to order 4 BRONZE # 10 x 3/4" flat head wood screws & use 3m 4200. Put it in from the outside. Your hull is solid glass so you don't need to worry about lining the hole.
Cheers/Len
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...nch-26248.html

113164 screw https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...ive-42587.html

https://www.permatex.com/products/th...tfe/?locale=en