Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2013, 11:20   #16

Boat: C&C Newport 41
Re: To Teak or not to Teak... that is the Question

okay...

i am convinced and only a little bit sad ab out it.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 11:29   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The other thing is it adds weight. Your boat will perform better without it. Why not put the money into a high quality mainsail?

Ann
Old 29-07-2013, 11:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
okay...

i am convinced and only a little bit sad about it.

-steve
Group hug

Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 12:00   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

So down the road when you may have to remove and/or repair this glued on teak deck how much of the top coat is coming off with it?

Currently I'm removing the teak deck on a 1978 Rafiki 37 and a good deal of the top coat get pulled off still glued to the resorcinol with the teak.

I was planning on reglassing the deck so I would make sure there would be no leaks from screw holes, a recommendation from a surveyor, but I had no idea there would be so much collateral damage.

It also gets really hot in the summer so it's hard to walk on barefoot and transfers additional heat to the cabin.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 12:07   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
without any risk of core damage, what is the real deterrent (besides price)?
The real deterrent, for many of us, seem to be the environmental considerations.
Old 29-07-2013, 12:14   #21
cruiser

Scoobert and I love teak decks.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 15:37   #22

I love them too! As long as the boat comes with a lifetime maintenance and warranty agreement!
The other thing I dnt understand, if you're a boat builder /designer, why dont you design your boat for teak decks? Why put a cored deck below 3/4" of teak planking? so your boat becomes waterlogged after a few years? Why not just a solid glass deck? Ofcourse the answer is boat builders dont do much with a lot of forethought... other than the next boatshow.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 16:04   #23

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

What about the safety aspect? Aren't teak decks less slippery?

Maybe I am just trying to justify the teak decks!
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 16:07   #24

I will agree they are hot. They do offer great traction and can be low maintenance if you don't mind them being gray. Rinse once a week with salt water.

I am sure I'll change my mind when they need to be replaced. ( glued not screwed) hopefully many years from now.
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I love them too! As long as the boat comes with a lifetime maintenance and warranty agreement!
The other thing I dnt understand, if you're a boat builder /designer, why dont you design your boat for teak decks? Why put a cored deck below 3/4" of teak planking? so your boat becomes waterlogged after a few years? Why not just a solid glass deck? Ofcourse the answer is boat builders dont do much with a lot of forethought... other than the next boatshow.
Just about all sailors have a special place in their heart for wood on a boat. The more, the better. And along comes some technological revolution like fiberglass and (fill in the blank).

The problem with a solid fiberglass deck is weight. We are trying to combat the forces the wind and waves exert on our boat and sails, so any topside weight that can be reduced gives the boat better righting moment. If you want solid glass decks covered with teak, your boat will become top heavy, comparatively speaking.

Deck cores can be made of balsa or foam. In most situations, foam will absorb less moisture. But it's usually more expensive. Still, foam does not guarantee there will be no water absorption in the core. But attention to the build will reduce it. However, no builder can protect their boats from the ignorance of the DIY owner or the self proclaimed expert.
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:39   #26
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

yes do it. if you have the coin.
it HAS to be screwed. just screw it correctly, and you will have no issue. each screw will need sealer, you will need to keep it well oiled. really it is worth it. you can also mix teak and rosewood!
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:45   #27

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I recall delivering a brand new powerboat around 85-90 feet several years ago that had a fake teak deck laid down in sections over fiberglass. No screw holes, no leaks (mind you, it was a brand new boat!) and relatively non-skid. I commented to the broker about the deck and he told me it was a brand new material that he felt would replace teak within a few years just on a cost and environmental basis alone. That was about 10 years ago so I don't remember the name of the product. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:50   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

One of the oddest applications of teak I ever saw was on a Hans Christian 33 deck. Beautifully laid without a screw hole in sight. On closer inspection, you could see the bottom of the screw poking through here and there where the deck had been sanded down. The entire deck was screwed from the bottom, from under the headliner so to remove the deck firtst required removing the headliner. Talk about a big job!! Good luck with that one... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:57   #29

Boat: Shopping...

I have teak deck and love it! And the builder is very clear: no oiling, no scrubbing, no nothing except water rinse if you are in the mood. Right after a sail, you can walk (barefoot) and you won't have salt under your feet. And teak deck are drying without salt stain as well.
Virtually maintenance free.
Best traction.
Last year in Grenada, I was tied next to an Island Packet, we could bear the heat walking on my pale grayish teak but it was absolutely impossible on my friend's yellow IP.

And I have to say that I am totally in love with the look!!!

Marc
Old 29-07-2013, 19:10   #30

Boat: C&C Newport 41

this is getting more difficult.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote