Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 17:53   #91

Boat: Various
Re: To Teak or not to Teak... that is the Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Cork decks are impossible to keep really clean.
Good to know. That's the problem that we really don't know much about them. Teak, most of us know it's good and it's bad by now. And for some of us it's worth putting up with the bad to have the good.

I wish someone would invent a synthetic that looked like teak, had it's good characteristics, was easy to clean, and while they're at it, they could build in some special characteristic that moderated the temperature so it didn't get too hot or cold. Oh, plus make it so removing and replacing are easy and cause no other damage.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 19:44   #92

Quote:
But plantation teak is harvested too young, doesn't compare to the good stuff. Not even close. Loose grain, checks easily, etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 20:13   #93
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Now you could get a Basenji.

Noooooo!!! Worst advice ever....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 01:24   #94

Quote:
Noooooo!!! Worst advice ever....
And what do you have against Basenji's? No shedding fur. No fleas. No dog dander. No bark. Instinctively house broken. Bathe themselves like cats.

Not a very good dog probably for a boat though as they hate the water and most cannot swim. We once tried to teach one to swim but were quite unsuccessful. He'd just panic and start to sink.

Generally very smart dogs but some personality quirks as a breed. For instance, many are quite claustrophobic.
Old 13-05-2014, 02:52   #95

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, Saucy,

I'll give it a go.

Have you ever stepped onto teak decks in the tropics when they're not moist? Only time I had the whole of my forefoot blister off! One has daily reminders of one's error for a while. ...Aside from the weight they repersent, their own heat, plus the heat they transmit below would be my main concerns, assuming no screws would be used for securing them. If you're gonna go north, rather than to warm places, might not be a prob. Teak feels nice on one's feet when it's cool.

Ann
Old 13-05-2014, 06:41   #96

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
But plantation teak is harvested too young, doesn't compare to the good stuff. Not even close. Loose grain, checks easily, etc.
That wasn't my point. The point is that the rainforest is not being clear cut to obtain old growth teak anymore.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 06:45   #97

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Can't you just hose the deck down once a day to get rid of the dog hair? I can't see the dog hair being less of a problem with teak decks - they have a lot of roughness and rubber sealant to equally catch hairs. Then when the grain starts to show, it gets even worse.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 06:59   #98
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And what do you have against Basenji's? No shedding fur. No fleas. No dog dander. No bark. Instinctively house broken. Bathe themselves like cats.

Not a very good dog probably for a boat though as they hate the water and most cannot swim. We once tried to teach one to swim but were quite unsuccessful. He'd just panic and start to sink.

Generally very smart dogs but some personality quirks as a breed. For instance, many are quite claustrophobic.

I absolutely love Basenjis, kept a breeding pair in my youth. But, they are NOT dogs. Their closest genetic relative is the Abyssinian Jackal. They are wild animals. I would never even consider putting one on a boat, and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone acquire one unless they already know exactly what they are getting into. Mine hated water so bad they didn't like to drink from a bowl, preferred to lick dew from grass. Also can be very aggressive dogs, they were bred to hunt lions. My male was a fighter, he would attack any male dog bigger than him on sight. A very demanding breed to keep and train, as I'm sure you know. And probably the worst possible choice for a boat. They really really need room to run...

Old 13-05-2014, 11:58   #99

Quote:
I absolutely love Basenjis, kept a breeding pair in my youth. But, they are NOT dogs. Their closest genetic relative is the Abyssinian Jackal. They are wild animals. I would never even consider putting one on a boat, and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone acquire one unless they already know exactly what they are getting into. Mine hated water so bad they didn't like to drink from a bowl, preferred to lick dew from grass. Also can be very aggressive dogs, they were bred to hunt lions. My male was a fighter, he would attack any male dog bigger than him on sight. A very demanding breed to keep and train, as I'm sure you know. And probably the worst possible choice for a boat. They really really need room to run...
Agree, not for a boat. And that's something many don't know that they're even more closely related to a fox than they are other dog breeds and, as you said, closest is the Jackal.

They behave as trained. My cousin had two that were excellent house pets. But difficult and strong willed too. Much like cats they don't just automatically do as you want. They think about it and make a decision of what they feel is in their best interest.

Yes, most difficult of all Basenji tasks, trying to get one to go outdoors when it's raining to use the bathroom. They will hold it in for long periods to avoid the rain. And if they ever do get wet, their immediate task is to bathe themselves. For non Basenji people, they bathe themselves like cats. Also will never lay down with their backs to the room or people.
Old 14-05-2014, 03:18   #100
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

Ok, I won't get a basenji. Must take a look, I don't even know what one is. Could be a musical instrument for all I know...

And we're gonna go with the teak. And I'm gonna start posting on that blog of mine again (mostly so the guy who's doing the project is aware that it'll be a public project, and hopefully bear that in mind and try not to screw up) so you can all follow our impending nightmare...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 05:20   #101

Yes teak is grown in plantations widely beyond its native range but you are fooling yourself to believe that somehow growing teak in a plantation in Costa Rica is going to save a tree in Myanmar, you really are.

Anybody who has priced teak lately can tell you plantations very obviously do not meet global demand. With teak prices as high as they are the incentive for illegal logging is enhanced.

No offense Saucy, but you are driving that demand. Look teak is great stuff. I understand. I'm a designer. I get it. But the world is changing around us. Maybe it's time that we changed with it?

Or maybe we should just greedily consume for the same of consumption since everyone else is doing it? Who knows maybe it just isn't that important to save the forests after all. I don't have any children so what do I care about the future after I am gone.

I think it's interesting about Japanese, living on one of the most densely populated islands on the planet, they don't cut down their trees. Now think about Madagascar, yikes what a nightmare!

Look at the Japanese forests on Google maps.

Minaret will tell you, we cut down out finest Doug Firs and ship them to Japan so they can keep there own forests intact. Go figure.

Teak Fun Fact - Teak Tree leaves can grow as large as two feet wide by three feet long, or larger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	81254  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 05:58   #102
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Ok, I won't get a basenji. Must take a look, I don't even know what one is. Could be a musical instrument for all I know...

And we're gonna go with the teak. And I'm gonna start posting on that blog of mine again (mostly so the guy who's doing the project is aware that it'll be a public project, and hopefully bear that in mind and try not to screw up) so you can all follow our impending nightmare...

Good luck!

For the record, Basenji's are the proto dog. There are pictures of them on Egyptian pyramids. They are probably the oldest domesticated breed of dog. You know Anubis, the jackal headed god? He looks just like a Basenji.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	81259  

Old 14-05-2014, 06:01   #103
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To Teak or not to Teak... that is the Question

Hey!!! That's exactly what our desert dog looks like, except she's jet black and hasn't got a willie. When we first got her I spent ages trying to research what those dogs were, but jackals, which I thought were it, didn't seem to bear any resemblance at all.
Old 14-05-2014, 06:05   #104
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Hey!!! That's exactly what our desert dog looks like, except she's jet black and hasn't got a willie. When we first got her I spent ages trying to research what those dogs were, but jackals, which I thought were it, didn't seem to bear any resemblance at all.

Black and white is the other common color combo.
Attached Images

Old 14-05-2014, 06:07   #105
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yup. That's it. Darn, the ones which came up in my searches were just so scruffy and scraggly.... So maybe my prize mongrel is a purebred after all!!!