Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 04:58   #16

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Tool Extraordenaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Milwaukee we aren't familiar with in Australia. I notice their Chinese as well
Milwaukee M12 Fuel tools are pro quality.

That multi tool shop table is very ingenious but obviously consumer grade junk that wouldn't stand up to rough use, large jobs or precise work. (The reason pro grade table saws are so heavy is because of the alignment precision needed for quality work. The parts must be extremely rigid to hold precise position even when being torqued by the motor and resistance of the parts being cut/moved through the saw.)

As for the power tool core (drill and saw motor) it's not so easy to tell quality by looking at the video, you'd get a lot more by the feeling through your hand and sound of operation. What you're looking for is no "play" in the shaft, smooth operation, reliable/precise clutch and chuck, replaceable motor brushes and ball or roller bearings inside holding the motor shaft (not just bushing sleeves).

However, I do assume (perhaps wrongly) the quality of the drill matches the quality of that Suzy Homemaker toy table.

Before someone replies "how can you tell by looking" the video makes it obvious. The devil is in the details.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 05:00   #17

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
It looks like it uses up as much room as three cases of beer. Priorities... Priorities... Life is about choices.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 05:06   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I see a really handy assortment of tools, not quality, but good enough for certain things. Improve the quality of the plastics and the electrics and they may really be worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
You can tell the quality by a video Seamonkey?
Yes... This thing would be awesome if it were made with machined components instead of stamped stainless that looks the same gauge as a Magma... AND... Make the box cast aluminum instead of plastic... You can see the entire upright bar flex 3-5 degrees when he's demonstrating the drill press function... That's in "butter soft" light pine... I'll bet it would be 10 degrees off vertical if you were really leaning on it...

Somebody take this and beef it up ... Make it weigh 100 lb vs... what? 20 maybe... Then you got something worthwhile...

Like roverhi says though... For light duty stuff... It really would be slick to have...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 09:20   #19

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Looks like a cheap, lightweight piece of Chinese junk.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:42   #20

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

It looks and from the audio sounds a bit cheap. It is ingenious to say the least, if i could make one change or addition it would be a grinder rather than a flashlight.
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 20:31   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

So who wants to get together and source out better quality version of this? Start a gofundme, kickstarter, etc?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 21:42   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I wonder if there would be a demo some where. With all that plastic I would question its strength.

The price I seen was close to $600 but don't know if that was US$. I suppose one would have to contact them.
Old 22-08-2015, 22:04   #23

I'm with GUY, that stuff is total crap, slight of hand, illusion, fake, phoney and junk too! Come on you guys, have you ever picked a good hammer and felt the heft of a good tool? Pure Chinese crap. Yeah, ok, they make good nail clippers and nose hair cutters and their garlic press is not so bad, but other than that I wouldn't give $25.00 for that Rube Goldberg contraption. I have a lot more to say but I'll give it a rest.
chile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 04:38   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
So who wants to get together and source out better quality version of this? Start a gofundme, kickstarter, etc?
It's about time for the tables to turn, and somebody knock of a cheap Chinese product with a superior quality one!

Imma forward this to somebody in the mfg startup biz and see what he thinks...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 04:53   #25

You could improve this tool considerably by including a push stick or two. I worry about that guy doing the demo.

Or maybe, if this thing is as cheap as most of us seem to think, a finger would just stall the blade.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:59   #26

Boat: Tartan 30

Yeah, saw this vid a few months back. Does look flimsy but a killer concept none the less. Be great if dewalt, makita, ridgid etc made one that could last but they'd need a built in market. Maybe west marine could approach them, but then we're talking $$$$$!!
GuidoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 23:12   #27
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Yes... This thing would be awesome if it were made with machined components instead of stamped stainless that looks the same gauge as a Magma... AND... Make the box cast aluminum instead of plastic... You can see the entire upright bar flex 3-5 degrees when he's demonstrating the drill press function... That's in "butter soft" light pine... I'll bet it would be 10 degrees off vertical if you were really leaning on it...

Somebody take this and beef it up ... Make it weigh 100 lb vs... what? 20 maybe... Then you got something worthwhile...

Like roverhi says though... For light duty stuff... It really would be slick to have...

Here ya go:

Shopsmith Mark 7 and Mark V Multipurpose Tools

Been around forever. I have the old Mk V.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote