Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2022, 05:53   #31

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Tools aboard: Minimizing space and weight

On my power cruiser I carried two spare props left and right handed and a puller. On a previous single screw I hit the prop on the way to drop off the spare. $#{,+*>
The potential damage to the rest of the driveline or boat too great not to change. I am a diver and it’s not easy on some boats. I made a point not to tell people I was a diver. You would not believe how poorly “ experts” anchor. So it’s quite a heavy list of anchor gear
The tools not only reflect our skill sets but the journey we are taking. My Scuba gear weighs in at 400 pounds. We used the gear also. We met up with graduate scuba students and dive some wrecks together. Off Cork Island we dove the Arabia. A dangerous dive with 1,000 pounds of gear on each boat and a two day run at 30n to get there. I use to carry full gear Georgian bay but since we took up sailing I’ve only brought a pony bottle and regulator to check a pals boat.
The Toronto police had an upset in their Diver officers. 7 out of 8 got fired suddenly . Two children 8 and 11 had fallen in just west of the western gap we got the call to gear a boat for body recovery in an hour. Open aluminum to bounce off the ice.
We have two inflatable paddle boards our grandkids steal much less drama.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:43   #32

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

In general I see two camps of tool needs.

One is for the boaters that have a home base and the other are full time cruisers.
For people with a home base, you need the essential tools and parts onboard to get you back home. There you can finish any bigger repairs with the larger home based tools.
Full time cruisers most likely carry more tools (and spares) if they are handy/capable of doing their own repairs. A major dilemma is anticipation of types of tools needed for various repairs and storage space.

Our tool needs are for doing major sewing projects/sail repair (sewing machine), major engine repairs (various metric and SAE tools) and sanding equipment for paint or minor wood work, etc., etc. Since we don't anticipate doing any more cabinet making/major wood projects, we unfortunately had to eliminate the large amount of wood tools from the land based shop. Similarly we eliminated many of our larger machine shop tools, but kept a small drill press, some taps/dies, etc. All which I are deem are essential tools to have onboard.

Bottom line, the more capabilities one has to make various types of repairs, they will have a much larger list of "essential" tools onboard.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:46   #33

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Similarly we eliminated many of our larger machine shop tools, but kept a small drill press, some taps/dies, etc. All which I are deem are essential tools to have onboard.

Along the lines of finding smaller, lighter tools, here's a multi-tap tool that Klein recently came out with:

To be sure it won't do everything, even in those sizes, but it's sufficient for threading a hole in a stanchion socket or spar, or chasing threads in a nut. IMO part of the benefit of these multi-tools is that they are self-organizing; taps are easy to lose and it's hard to look at a ziploc bag of greasy taps and figure out if one is missing.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a metric version. Klein's target market is mainly electricians in the USA. The desire of their customers to fit as many tools as they can on their toolbelt so they don't have to go back to their truck as often drives the innovation. It also limits their innovation to items of use to electricians in the USA.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
My Scuba gear weighs in at 400 pounds.

In keeping with the theme of minimizing weight and bulk on board, I've done a bunch of experimenting with my dive gear.

At present I am using galvanized steel LP72 cylinders aboard, which are 6.9" diameter and will fit in places where an AL80 will not.

The minimum I can dive with is a plain, old-school tank backpack with a J regulator and a single 2nd stage on a short hose (plus fins and a mask). No SPG, no BC, no secondary. I've experimented with this and while it is workable (as long as the water is shallow or warm) I would really rather have a BC, an SPG, and an extra second stage. I dive with a backplate and wing and it collapses down well, better than most jacket-style "travel" BCs. Nonetheless, the backplate is large and doesn't fold down, and so finding space for it aboard is problematic.

The old-school tank backpack I have is plastic and metal plus straps. There was an early era in scuba diving where tank harnesses were used, that are just webbing with no plastic or metal components other than tri-glides, and of course these would store more easily.

I would like to find a back-inflate travel BC that has a soft backplate, small wing, and minimal/no pockets and other extraneous features, so that it would store in minimum space aboard.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:14   #35

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I think I need one of those Klein multi-tap tools. However, I carried a full SAE tap and die set up to 1/2" It was supplemented by metric taps from local shops. I used to carry a sample SAE tap or die into the shop and I can say "like this, but..." in about 4 languages.

I addition to everything mentioned above except the anvil, I had power tools than ran off the 2000 watt inverter,. That sucker weighed at least 60 pounds by itself.

If you think it is quick and easy to ship whatever you need into places like Honiara or Massawa, you have never done it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:18   #36

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If you think it is quick and easy to ship whatever you need into places like Honiara or Massawa, you have never done it.

That, right there, is a big point. Ease of getting something you don't have on hand makes a difference in what's worth carrying all the time or not.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:31   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Tools aboard: Minimizing space and weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
An oscillating multi-tool can tolerably replace a sander, an angle grinder, a hack saw, a jig saw, a circular saw, scrapers and probably a lot more. That and a cordless drill are probably the only power tools I NEED. Sure other tools might make the job easier, but I get get it done without them.

Jigsaw is very useful. I have a einhell multi tool too but the jigsaw is more useful when you need it.

I think you just can’t have enough power tools on board. Also the last time to get looking for one is when you really need it. I like complete wood working tools on board. So circular Jig and router
Old 10-11-2022, 10:19   #38

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 44

My challenge is cubic inches of storage so, the OP's topic of bulk and weight peaked my interest. I agree with Thinwater's comments that a "get home" kit is a good strategy.

For tools that I find worthy of occupying my few cubic inches of storage:
- A good multi-tool. I like the Victorinox with tool bit kit and wrench.
- One set of wrenches / sockets, etc., but keep it minimal.
- Hammer for the bigger problems (LOL)
- Cloth rolls for tool storage seem to take less space, store well, and are softer/quieter when shifting due to rocky weather.
- Zip ties
- A good light

Spare parts are a separate topic I think.
A la carte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 14:55   #39

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jigsaw is very useful. I have a einhell multi tool too but the jigsaw is more useful when you need it.

I think you just can’t have enough power tools on board. Also the last time to get looking for one is when you really need it. I like complete wood working tools on board. So circular Jig and router

For me, a multi tool is much more versatile than a jigsaw. Ease of making plunge cuts is it's biggest advantage, and able to flush cut against another surface is mighty handy as well. The only thing (That I have personally experienced) a jigsaw does substantially better is cut round or curved holes.
But I agree, you can't have enough, or enough variety, of power tools on board.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 15:44   #40

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Learning to improvise tools is a pretty useful skill that helps minimise the tools needed aboard.

Just last weekend I needed to screw cleats onto my mast, so I filed an extra bolt to make a poor man's tap. Learned that trick from AvE's channel on Youtube.
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 16:19   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I don't find that finding storage space for tools is an issue. My boat simply swallows them up. Can't say I've noticed a difference one way or another in sailing performance.

Another requisite for any offshore trip is finding place for the 12 cases of beer prior to leaving. This too, finds itself alongside tools. 12 cases of beer is equally as important as tool selection.

When I sold my first boat and moved onto my second boat, I was humbled by the amount of "stuff" I took off the boat. I'm not a hoarder, but some people might think otherwise. Everything has a " I might need that one day" value, so it finds a home
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 19:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Another requisite for any offshore trip is finding place for the 12 cases of beer prior to leaving. This too, finds itself alongside tools. 12 cases of beer is equally as important as tool selection.

I've been told that beer is available in a more concentrated form that is easier to transport and store.
Old 11-11-2022, 00:37   #43

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I think I need one of those Klein multi-tap tools. However, I carried a full SAE tap and die set up to 1/2" It was supplemented by metric taps from local shops. I used to carry a sample SAE tap or die into the shop and I can say "like this, but..." in about 4 languages.

I addition to everything mentioned above except the anvil, I had power tools than ran off the 2000 watt inverter,. That sucker weighed at least 60 pounds by itself.

“Honey, it’s going to take a couple of weeks to get that part. In the meantime we’re stuck here in the Solomon Islands - one of the most beautiful places in the world*”.
“Oh dear, I’ll just have to order another Mai Tai”

* Except for Honiara itself, of course!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:46   #44

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
An oscillating multi-tool can tolerably replace a sander, an angle grinder, a hack saw, a jig saw, a circular saw, scrapers and probably a lot more. That and a cordless drill are probably the only power tools I NEED. Sure other tools might make the job easier, but I get get it done without them.
Love my Vein Multi-tool... Diamond blades make clean and precise cuts into fiberglass like butter...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:47   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
“Honey, it’s going to take a couple of weeks to get that part. In the meantime we’re stuck here in the Solomon Islands - one of the most beautiful places in the world*”.

Equipment failures are somehow most likely to occur when a weather window is closing.