Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2022, 22:13   #61

Boat: J/42
Re: Tools aboard: Minimizing space and weight

The thing I have against tool rolls is that to get one tool, you have to get out all the tools. Every horizontal surface on the boat ends up covered with open tool rolls. Then tools start falling out of them. A huge mess ensues. When really, I just need to grab that #2 Phillips ten times a day, the half inch or 13mm socket two or three times, the tape measure five times a day, and the multimeter two or three times, preferably instantly. Plus random.

I’ve been thinking of sewing up something like a tool roll that hangs open on a bulkhead with frequently used tools. Maybe one could have a roll of, say, sewing tools that you can open up and hang during a sewing project. Or what have you. Something to try out during the winter. Though I suspect that they would rattle unacceptably under way. I’ve got lots of old sails to use for free material.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 22:49   #62
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Tools aboard: Minimizing space and weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I absolutely love a certain Knipex Plier, I think it is the Cobra 87 01 250 Plumbers Pliers. It is light, strong, very adjustable quickly and a perfect all around tool for rigging, mast work, stubborn shackles, etc. It performs outsize work and fits nicely in my pocket, so much so, it remains in my pocket all the way to home!

https://www.knipex.com/products/pipe...pliers/8701250

https://www.ebay.com/p/598490726?iid=392794230140 $42

I have two pair, one for home and one for the boat. I really need to whittle down my tool weight and carry just what is needed as the boat lists to the side now! Of course I have to have a big channel lock for the stuffing box and prop nuts and a small one, also several real vice grips (not the cheap knockoffs), but I've found a genuine Rigid heavy duty small pipe wrench is perfect for adjusting the stuffing box nut.

What should I do about having metric and imperial tools? I have a Yanmar, but some things are imperial. I have both box wrenches and socket sets. It all adds up so that one locker is all tools and my cloth tool bag is overweight and overflowing, and the small plastic tool chest is totally stuffed with tools I have used on the boat.

One advantage of this is I can usually fix anything without driving 20 minutes back to the house. However I have to cut back.

Also I have a hand drill that is really useful sometimes, but often I need a portable drill. I'd like to be able to charge it on board. Milwaukee has a small 12v that looks good, but I have never bought one. Also the Fein Multitool is great for sanding and cutting in small places, but that 120vac tool stays at home generally until needed.

I like the idea of a small appropriate tap and die set, because the cheap plastic cases keep breaking and I have to use tape to keep them together with the drills and taps. These are essential for mast work.

Really good multi screwdrivers would be a good way to cut down on tools too, who needs 6 screwdriver handles taking up space?
I like the idea of the stainless steel Picquic multi screwdriver https://www.amazon.com/88103-Sixpac-.../dp/B0018IV8WM which version is best? I am always having to sand and lubricate my ferrous multi driver.

I find I like my small butane torch from West Marine (it is very old and there are better ones now) but I use that often for burning ends of lines, wiring and countless other jobs like unfreezing a stubborn nut, etc.

How to weed out the unused tools? Remove anything that has not been used for two years. Put it in a box somewhere in your shop and take any tools back as you find you need them.

I do not carry any imperial size tools anymore

At last count I had four toolboxes , all Stanley soft cases. 1: general .2: electrical 4lumbing 4 rigging/canvas

I carry 300 crimp terminals , o ring selections , and about 500-700 stainless steel machine and self tapping screws. M8 -m2 , I carry 30 spare shackles and assorted bits and bobs

Then there 6 boxes of electronics but thankfully there going into my new shore based office soon

Given my home is 2500km and 4 hours flying away ( plus 8 hours bus rides ) I have to carry everything so I carry a very big range of tools on board. Not near as much as at home ( 9 tool boxes ) but a reasonable selection

I do ponder why my light airs performance is suffering but hey ….
Old 14-11-2022, 22:55   #63

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I do not carry any imperial size tools anymore
Well, being in Europe and owning a European built boat you have that luxury. Many of us, having an American built boat with a Japanese engine need to carry both Imperial and Metric tools. As much as I would have liked the world to be metric, it just isn't so.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 22:56   #64
Nearly an old salt

Tools aboard: Minimizing space and weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Well, being in Europe and owning a European built boat you have that luxury. Many of us, having an American built boat with a Japanese engine need to carry both Imperial and Metric tools. As much as I would have liked the world to be metric, it just isn't so.

I admit at home I carry both imperial and metric spanner’s , socket sets and wrenches etc. but it’s impractical on the boat. ( I even have BA spanner set at home )
Old 14-11-2022, 22:58   #65
Nearly an old salt

I think the philosophy of tools is to have plenty. Nothing is worse then needing a tool you don’t have
Old 15-11-2022, 05:39   #66

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Gerber exchange a blade sport saw might be useful.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/gerb...lade-sport-saw

Gerber 07530N Needle Nose Pliers Multitool MP600 Multi-Plier, Stainless
There are other good multitools too.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 05:50   #67
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Gerber exchange a blade sport saw might be useful.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/gerb...lade-sport-saw

Gerber 07530N Needle Nose Pliers Multitool MP600 Multi-Plier, Stainless
There are other good multitools too.

I’m not a fan of multi tools they always seem to do the worst combination of everything
Old 15-11-2022, 06:04   #68

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Your approach is very sensible. I did the same thing. Offshore, I carried only the essential tools (box wrenches that fit the fasteners on board, an angled and a 4-in-1 screwdriver, 2 small files, vicegrips, an adjustable, etc. In addition I found it helpful to have a hacksaw, and a Japanese pull saw, an egg beater drill, a hammer, and a large screwdriver for my outboard oil drainplug. My kit was about 6" in diameter.

Also a bosun's bag with wire, fids, whipping gear, and small hand tools I use every day.

A small plastic box with "enough" epoxy and fillers to mix.

A tackle box with fasteners, fuses, small shackles, jewelers screwdriver, etc.

Apologies for the list (which is not exhaustive).

You're on the right track. If you haven't used something for a year, remove it.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 06:27   #69

I realize that my uncompleted projects occupy, one drawer and one seatback locker. I need to complete those this winter!

I also use one other seatback locker for tools and one other drawer for fasteners, fuses, lights and parts in plastic cases. Then there is another drawer with sealants and stuff. I should simplify and consolidate the two drawers into one drawer. Half of the sealants are shot and we don't use much of what is in that drawer.

I have a soft tool case which is very good, but I think several tool rolls like Jammer would be very useful to improve access and organize.

Cleaning up the project seatback locker might be a good place for LFP Batteries and BMS.

PS: We also use the area under the seatee drawers for plumbing parts and hoses and another plastic case for parts.
Old 15-11-2022, 06:31   #70

Quote:
I’m not a fan of multi tools they always seem to do the worst combination of everything

I tend to agree. I can't stand using the screwdrivers and often the handle does not stay connected to the pliers, thus interrupting the project at hand. (I fixed that by lubrication and exercising the joint, but it keeps happening because the stainless is not great quality.)

Plastic Socket holders like this at Harbor Freight seem to work well without much rusting at all. Amazon plastic socket holders
Old 15-11-2022, 07:04   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I would like to find a back-inflate travel BC that has a soft backplate, small wing, and minimal/no pockets and other extraneous features, so that it would store in minimum space aboard.
Don't know if they still do them, but I have a very simple no frills BC from Poseiden, called "Club" from memory. Bought it to teach in the pool as being simple it dried quickly so didn't fill my car with wet dive kit after an evening session. However, it's also perfect on the boat stowing far smaller than a Buddy BC or my wing would. Some-times simple things are better and support the small 5L cylinder I keep on board perfectly.

Looks like this is a later model.

https://www.poseidon.com/en-gb/artic...bcd?attr1_id=4
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 07:07   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I think the philosophy of tools is to have plenty. Nothing is worse then needing a tool you don’t have
You mean like the 5mm tap that came out of the handle, bounced once on the deck and then splash, on a Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 08:48   #73

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Don't know if they still do them, but I have a very simple no frills BC from Poseiden, called "Club" from memory. Bought it to teach in the pool as being simple it dried quickly so didn't fill my car with wet dive kit after an evening session. However, it's also perfect on the boat stowing far smaller than a Buddy BC or my wing would. Some-times simple things are better and support the small 5L cylinder I keep on board perfectly.

Looks like this is a later model.

https://www.poseidon.com/en-gb/artic...bcd?attr1_id=4

Still too much. This is close:

https://www.amazon.com/TUSA-Inflate-...df_B08176KYGV/
Old 15-11-2022, 08:48   #74

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Technically we play commando bocci so no court.

Is that the same thing as "going commando" while playing bocci?
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 19:29   #75

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Also a very heavy hammer can be good.
Indeed! I carry what I have always called an "engineers hammer" -- looks like a 2lb, 18" sledge hammer. Maybe should upgrade to this 4lb "drilling hammer" that seems to be a really nice use of space: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-lb-d...mer-98258.html

Also, I have found this set of bits to be a really valuable use of space. Compact, cheap ($6), and a wide variety of drives. Square, torx, allen in metric and sae, and a host of security styles. Sure, probably low quality too, but it's smaller than my fist and seems to answer a lot of problems.
https://www.harborfreight.com/securi...ece-68459.html
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote