Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2022, 16:04   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Tools aboard: Minimizing space and weight

Tools threads tend to degenerate into people posting lists of tools without much discussion. Please try not to do that here.

It is rare that I hire out maintenance and repair work on much of anything, unless it's under warranty or something like a modern-day car transmission that requires specialized software that costs more than the transmission to diagnose. That applies to boats, too.

My previous boat was small enough that I could trailer it home for repairs, which I did every year.

I can't do that any more and I'm thinking through the tool load, given the limited space aboard. I'd like to share my approach for that, and invite comments and other tricks that work for maintaining a broadly functional toolset with minimum space.

Here's what I have so far. In many ways, this is a listing of what I'm not bringing:
  • I'm relying heavily on the high-quality multi-screwdrivers that have come on the market in the last few years. This especially includes the Klein 11-in-1 medium size screwdriver and the Klein 27-in-1 mini precision screwdriver, and also their 4-in-1 stubby. I've been using the 11-in-1 for a while and find that it reduces toolset size and doesn't pose the problem of bits getting lost that I've had with screwdrivers based on basic hex bits. As a result, I'm not bringing many conventional screwdrivers. (Still need one or two for prying and the odd situation where the 11-in-1 etc can't reach)
  • I'm leaving my combination wrenches at home in favor of box end wrenches. With experience I am finding that I use the open end less often and can usually get away with an adjustable wrench for the situations that require it, or I can substitute a fitting wrench in some cases.
  • I am using cloth rollups to organize tools. I sometimes make these myself from denim cut from discarded blue jeans, and just sew pockets in them. This requires less space than systems of trays, pegs, drawers, molded plastic, etc.
  • I've found that the long arm L-shaped hex key and torx key sets use less space and work well enough, compared to hex/torx sockets, and they are easier to keep organized than the 1/4" hex drivers.
  • I'm "pruning" socket sets to eliminate overlap. I don't need a 3/8" socket in 3/8 drive if I have one in 1/4" drive, etc.
  • I have a list of fastener sizes used on my engine and am using that to guide decisions on what sockets I actually need, especially in larger sizes.
  • Shallow sockets only (I may make some exceptions for really important sizes), except for a spark plug socket for a dinghy motor. Planning on box end wrenches for situations that would otherwise require a deep socket.
Old 08-11-2022, 16:25   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Tools aboard: Minimizing space and weight

A smaller, lightweight angle grinder has saved my bacon before.

Also a very heavy hammer can be good.

A jigsaw is small and can be used for cutting everything. Also a drill can be used in multiple ways.

Once in a while you have something just too much for hand tools. Are we limiting to hand tools or power as well?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 16:45   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

The issue I am facing is that I can't leave anything at home, since we live aboard.

Iv'e collected tools as I've needed them over the years. Now my tools are the heaviest and bulkiest category of equipment carried on board. My tools weigh 260 lbs (at least).

I could get by with a smaller set when sailing locally I if all I had to do was get back to port where my complete tool set would be waiting, but I am loath to permanently get rid of any tools which I've already needed.

But where to put them?

In fact we sailed around the world with 3450lbs of gear and equipment which was not on the boat when we purchased it. Now we've managed to unload about 1250 lbs of that stuff, but we're still sailing and racing with 2200lbs of stuff, and the tools are the heaviest bunch.
Old 08-11-2022, 16:59   #4

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Almost all my tools fit into 2 (of 6) galley drawers. Mostly hand tools in the right hand drawer and mostly cordless tools in the left hand drawer. There's a lot I would like to have, but realistically I won't need, say, a cordless circular saw often, so keeping one on the boat seems excessive. I'd say my tools weigh roughly 50 pounds and I rarely need anything else when I do work. And when I do it's something specific, like a stud extractor, and not a whole new category of tools I need to buy.
What doesn't fit in the drawers are things I use daily, like my cordless vacuum, or almost never, like my jump pack.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 17:10   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Pass through socket sets work for both normal and deep sockets.... except for that one that you'll need but be missing
Old 08-11-2022, 17:26   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

To me, when it comes to weight saving there are other things aboard that are more expendable than tools. I carry a lot of tools, a better set of socket and box wrenches than I have at home. A few special tools related to the equipment aboard, etc.

However, on a fair sized cruising boat the weight of the tools are insignificant. A hand full of sockets can't be more than ten pounds. We are not racing so every .1 knot is not an issue.

When we arrived in Bellingham, WA where my boat was built and there are a few sister ships I was surprised how much lower we were sitting in the water compared to them. When we bought a land home and started unloading stuff the waterline rose about three inches. We took off a lot of food, clothes, seashells, even some interesting rocks my wife had collected but my best tools are still aboard. They are just too important.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 17:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

That's the thing about tools....the one you need is invariable one that is not in your tool collection.

I find that an electric drill is about the only electric tool I "really" need, when I need an electric tool. I'm talking 110v as I'm not a big fan of the cordless stuff. off course, you need a genset for that, but seeing as there is one, that covers that. A long power cord is a must.

Beyond that, I'm a fan of the multi-bit screwdriver and a hammer of course.

I have a pretty comprehensive set of metric and imperial wrenches. Plus no sailor should leave the dock without at least two vice-grips on board, needle nose pliers, mini-hacksaw etc.

A big set of bolt cutters. This is a big, heavy tool. You will hopefully never need it, but when you do....it needs to be a big 'un.

A small vice set on a board,

some clamps.

I have a plastic container with odds and ends of screws, bolts, etc.

For my electrical needs, a soldering iron off course, a multi-meter, plus all the usual spare bulbs, wiring, etc.

My favorite gadget tool, is a battery powered light that can clamp around my head.

Then there is spare part inventory. Engine parts, sail repair, rigging stuff and a variety of other stuff. This stashes in no particular fashion where it fits.

I've haven't weighed my collection of stuff, but I'm sure that are likely several 0's involved.

Really your tool collection should mirror your cruising aspirations. Going to far off out of the way places, you'll want everything you can fit on the boat.
Coastal sailors can get away with much less.

I think the most important tool...is you..the skipper....you must have the knowledge and ability to perform much with little.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 17:39   #8

As somebody who works on other people's boats while cruising, my tool needs are a bit special because people come to me asking for help with problems they can not solve themselves. So I have an assortment of gear and bearing pullers, a complete tap and die set, Extractors, and grinders. Breaker bars. SAE and metric... The things you have to turn to when the standard harbor freight ratchet set doesn't cut the mustard.

I hesitate to think what it all weighs... but most of the heaviest stuff lives below the cabin sole, so while it certainly cuts my downwind performance, maybe my upwind work is a bit better...
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 17:40   #9

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Like Wingsail, tools is the biggest load I carry, after water,, diesel, food and spares.
It all depends how big the boat it, how much space one has, and how much one would like, or need to, be self reliant.
The latter maybe dictated by the (remote) areas one sails in.

Space and weight is not a big issue for me, so my boat has similar tools as my shed, just a few less wood working tools, and no pedestal drill..... yet

Like anything else, determine what one needs to achieve, and then bring on board only that stuff to achieve that.

If weight, space and to some degree cost is an issue, then:
- as Jammer said, leave doubles behind
- for European boat and engine, only carry metric stuff
- the biggest weight and space requirement is in the largest stuff, ie does one really need any spanner/socket larger than 19 mm (3/4 ")? If so, measure and only take that single large item on the boat
- after a while one knows the sizes one needs when working on the engine, ie rarely or never 9, 11, 16 and 18 mm are needed. Leave them behind
- a cordless power drill can polish, sand, brush, mix paint, drive screws and even drill
- years ago I thought I was clever and purchased a 12 Volt battery drill, left the charger behind, and the plan was to operate that from the ships battery..... yes, that was possible, but a pain in the backside to use, and since then 18 volt drills have become much better
- get a set of quality shifting spanners
- for clamps, one can get good plastic ones
- for a vice, Zyliss (swiss made) is very good, or now its cheap chinese copies are still OK
Old 08-11-2022, 19:11   #10

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I like to keep a piece of RR track that's a few inches long on board, gotta have something to pound on.
I guess a small HF anvil might work also.
To be prepared one should have both SAE and Metric Crescent wrenches,
Old 08-11-2022, 20:16   #11

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Tools threads tend to degenerate into people posting lists of tools without much discussion. Please try not to do that here.

It is rare that I hire out maintenance and repair work on much of anything, unless it's under warranty or something like a modern-day car transmission that requires specialized software that costs more than the transmission to diagnose. That applies to boats, too.

My previous boat was small enough that I could trailer it home for repairs, which I did every year.

I can't do that any more and I'm thinking through the tool load, given the limited space aboard. I'd like to share my approach for that, and invite comments and other tricks that work for maintaining a broadly functional toolset with minimum space.

Here's what I have so far. In many ways, this is a listing of what I'm not bringing:
  • I'm relying heavily on the high-quality multi-screwdrivers that have come on the market in the last few years. This especially includes the Klein 11-in-1 medium size screwdriver and the Klein 27-in-1 mini precision screwdriver, and also their 4-in-1 stubby. I've been using the 11-in-1 for a while and find that it reduces toolset size and doesn't pose the problem of bits getting lost that I've had with screwdrivers based on basic hex bits. As a result, I'm not bringing many conventional screwdrivers. (Still need one or two for prying and the odd situation where the 11-in-1 etc can't reach)
  • I'm leaving my combination wrenches at home in favor of box end wrenches. With experience I am finding that I use the open end less often and can usually get away with an adjustable wrench for the situations that require it, or I can substitute a fitting wrench in some cases.
  • I am using cloth rollups to organize tools. I sometimes make these myself from denim cut from discarded blue jeans, and just sew pockets in them. This requires less space than systems of trays, pegs, drawers, molded plastic, etc.
  • I've found that the long arm L-shaped hex key and torx key sets use less space and work well enough, compared to hex/torx sockets, and they are easier to keep organized than the 1/4" hex drivers.
  • I'm "pruning" socket sets to eliminate overlap. I don't need a 3/8" socket in 3/8 drive if I have one in 1/4" drive, etc.
  • I have a list of fastener sizes used on my engine and am using that to guide decisions on what sockets I actually need, especially in larger sizes.
  • Shallow sockets only (I may make some exceptions for really important sizes), except for a spark plug socket for a dinghy motor. Planning on box end wrenches for situations that would otherwise require a deep socket.
Its a well known fact that the tool you need is sitting at home in another toolbox. No matter how carefully you plan this out there will always be something missing. I have three sources of tools on my boat, common engine servicing tools in one box, general boat maintenance tools such as scrapers, wire brushed etc in a carry bag and then a larger toolbox with bigger heavier stuff in it. I also have a electrical box as well with crimpers

etc.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 21:27   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
I like to keep a piece of RR track that's a few inches long on board, gotta have something to pound on.
I guess a small HF anvil might work also.
To be prepared one should have both SAE and Metric Crescent wrenches,

LOL
Old 08-11-2022, 21:39   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I know I am way overboard on tools - >I carry too many. In my defense, we sail places where there "ain't no help" so some of the tools have really come in handy.

Do I really need a complete tool and die set? No - until I needed one.
Ditto on a hole punch/grommet set for heavy duty sailcloth - I didn't until I did
Extra deep sockets? - not yet but the endless journey isn't over yet

A heavy duty cable crimper for crimping up to 50mm? yep, I used it

I also carry a huge assortment of spare parts and the extra electrical cable I carry weighs lots - but I've had a use for most of it.

Every year of so, I clean out, but the boxes seem to fill up by themsleves

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 22:31   #14

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

One note about the Klein multi-tool (which I am a big fan). Look around your boat for screws that are deep set in a narrow hole. While the multi-tool can replace a lot of screwdrivers, having one or 2 regular screw drivers is well worth it. Several times I've grabbed the multi only to find out I can't get to the screw head and had to use a traditional screwdriver.
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 23:38   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I now standardise on one battery powered tool set. In fact I have bought several compatible lithium adaptors so I can use the same 18b tool batteries in my dinghy pump and other portable devices devices. My vacuum cleaner uses the same batteries

At the last count , drill , jigsaw , router , buffer , angle grinder , circular saw , heat gun , vacumn , dinghy pump , lab power supply all
Using the same lithium tool battery