Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 08:53   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Tools of the gods....?

and, just as an aside, I used AWAB hose clamps (316 stainless with chrome nickle plating and non-perforated bands). They have 7mm nuts.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 08:54   #47

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
I have this set of mini knipex, which I have found invaluable.

Knipex 00-20-72-V01 2 Piece Mini Pliers Belt Pouch Set

Zal, these are the ones I was interested in someone having experience with. I am going to order the set like you suggested.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:16   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
I have this set of mini knipex, which I have found invaluable.

Knipex 00-20-72-V01 2 Piece Mini Pliers Belt Pouch Set

Do the pliers wrench, lock like vicegrips?

Thats my big question.
davidu996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:37   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Just in case people don't like clicking links . . . . . here was my solution to the OP's question . . . . worked out over 20 years . . . .
I don't see the duct tape
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:40   #50

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgann454 View Post
I agree completely. The only exception might be the Pittsburgh hand tools. They have a lifetime warranty and I have had them replace several that I had abused in a manner they were not designed for. Almost as good as craftsman but half the price.
Most of my tools are Snap-On but I have bought a ton of stuff at HF that works great. Good throw-away stuff. Plier sets, screwdriver sets cheap voltmeters. I have a shop vac I have used for years and still works. Feel guilty about buying there since not good for local hardware stores. I have a half dozen Pittsburg tools that have worked for years. Surprised me.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:43   #51
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidu996 View Post
Do the pliers wrench, lock like vicegrips?

Thats my big question.
The silver one is basically for nuts and bolts and is adjustable and locks with the teeth inset in the handle.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:55   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Just in case people don't like clicking links . . . . . here was my solution to the OP's question . . . . worked out over 20 years . . . .

Attachment 116814
Attachment 116815
Attachment 116816
Attachment 116817
This is what I have so far. I would like to use Bill's link to the article and as well his super organized pictures (I would like to look at his boat as I sense that it is in good order). He has the area of 1) Fasteners as bolts, screws, nuts etc. 2) Electrical 3)Sealing or bonding 4) Sail and line repair

I still need to go more refined or consolidated than Bill's suggestion. As well, there are some chemical products that I won't be able to transport in an airplane checked on luggage. Kai's suggestion is one that will cost me about $60 as I am going to get a knipex pliers. Here is a link to them in use, and it appears that it is a good compromise for large nuts/bolts

TubeChop - (00:23)

So in this picture, I have everything except my multi tester, the Knipex pliers, and the sail repair pictured. I added as you can see some cutters that can cut light sheet metal, leather, plastic pipe, wires that are well tested. Also, ill bring the leatherman in place of a crimper/wirecutter/wire stripper along with its other swiss army esque stuff. A very light metal cutting saw, the multi insert screwdriver/nutdrivers (not pictured)/torx, and the pipe/oil filter/wrap around something really stuck strap wrench. And last Duct tape as requested by many!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knipex.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	116938   Click image for larger version

Name:	consolidated minimalist tools.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	116939  

Old 18-01-2016, 11:30   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The wire leads for the meter may make an xray inspector paranoid and get your checked baggage opened. At which point anything may disappear, bear that in mind. TSA baggage inspectors are routinely arrested for petty thefts.

And of course duct tape is something they sometimes ban from cabin luggage, since like zip-ties and handcuffs, you might be planning to restrain the flight crew and hostages with it. (sigh).

It may be simpler to speak to the owner and say "Look, if you don't have all the stuff on this list aboard...I'd like to order it, have it delivered to avoid baggage inspection problems, and then you'll have it as a permanent and useful part of the ship's inventory."

Less to carry, too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:18   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The wire leads for the meter may make an xray inspector paranoid and get your checked baggage opened. At which point anything may disappear, bear that in mind. TSA baggage inspectors are routinely arrested for petty thefts.

And of course duct tape is something they sometimes ban from cabin luggage, since like zip-ties and handcuffs, you might be planning to restrain the flight crew and hostages with it. (sigh).

Less to carry, too.
Duct tape in cabin luggage? Where did you read that? So, the comment "checked luggage" means down below not "carry on luggage" Unfortunately I am a 3 million mile flyer with one airline alone so travelling and familiar with packing/flying/TSA/Customs/stealing from my bags experienced likely more than the next guy. And, the people of the TSA are good people .

You can somehow try to convince me that because I go on 8 strange boats a year, for five thousand miles, and that I want a checked bag minimalist tool kit is crazy. But I know what I want because of experience.
Old 18-01-2016, 17:06   #55
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Swammy, as the TSA will gladly tell you, any TSA inspector, at any location, has a pretty much unlimited discretion to forbid you to carry on anything they say, even if the official TSA policy allows it. If the carrier discourages it, or the airport discourages it, of the TSA guy just isn't sure what it is, it goes in the trash.

I had a sealed package of a very nice goat cheese confiscated before "it could be plastic explosive, we don't know". I've been told the same thing about long zip-ties "because you might be planning to restrain someone with them". Although, shortly after 9/11, I did accidentally carry two, not just one but two, nail clippers on board, and those were expressly banned at that time. Really, like I'm going to give someone the Death of A Thousand Snips with them?
Anything that can be used as a "cudgel" (hockey stick, camera tripod, cannibal bone in your hair) "may" be banned, at the discretion of an inspector. Same thing for any restraint. Last time I flew, the regulations had changed to allow EMPTY butane lighters to be carried, previously all lighters of ay kind had been banned. So while I'm watching the nice lady try to figure out if my boots were deadly weapons, two inspectors were conferring over an empty butane lighter in the next lane, trying to decide if it could be allowed onboard.
Oh, my boots? According to long-standing pubished TSA guidelines, all "orthotic" devices must be allowed to remain ON the passenger and to proceed ON the plane. But you'll never see orthotic boots allowed until they've gone through the x-ray machine.
Sure, you can appeal the inspector and ask to see the supervisor. TSA policy is that a supervisor will never, ever, embarrass the TSA by overriding an inspector. Unless it is something totally beyond the pale, whatever the minimum wage guy says, stands.

I've had a guy at SeaTac goes nuts when he wanded me with a metal detector and it went off. What was it? Oh, I missed A PENNY in the lining of my pocket. But if you put the same penny under your watch? No one ever questions it.

Don't try to use logic here, it is all about FUD and putting on the dog and pony show to re-assure the rubes that they are being protected. Protected by the same airline industry, and the same Congress, that collaborated to shut down the US air marshal system in the 1980's, contrary to global standards, and allow 9/11 to happen here.

Duct tape? It might be allowed, might not. I used to see guys on Air Alaska carrying SawZalls, and small chain saws, complete in their metal carry cases, and no one questioned letting them into the cabin. Somehow, they never tried to cut an airplane apart, either.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote