Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 07:50   #61

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mike View Post
Would someone care to comment on necessary tools that one might need in dire situations when the boat yard mechanic is thousands of miles away? Besides the obvious...
Dive Light
Yachtsman Knife
Boatman's Wire Cutters
Sail Repair Kit
Rescue Tape
Stic-O-Steel
Epoxy
Softwood Plugs
Manual Pump
Repair Manual
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 08:02   #62

Boat: N/M 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Rob, the thread is TOP 10 tools, not 'what 10 tools do you have?' I'm sure all of us actualy have more than just 10.
I understand, but I do not see a top 10 tool list as a reasonable request. It's sort of like asking, 'which is the best boat for me?' - it's one of those unanswerable questions

My response is to provide a comprehensive list that has worked for me and let the questioner make up their own mind as to what's important to them. I suppose I don't have a top tool list, as I tend to use all of them at various points in time, and would be quite unhappy if some were missing.
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 13:01   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
I carry a large diameter string from a bass guitar. It's perfect for running along small channels which have become plugged.................
Thanks Dave, This reminds me of another specialized tool. I keep an eight foot piece of a surfboard leash. It's the soft rubbery and very strong material surfers sometimes use to teather themselves to their boards. I use this to ream out, but not damage heat exchange coils; most frequently as an auger to run through the water coils of my AC units that become less efficient when coated with a layer of silt or slime. I also keep a thin strong wire (also used dental floss) to separate fittings bedded with 3M-5200.