Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 18:15   #31
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Topside Paint Coming Off In Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Yawn

I prefer to compare it to the paintjob on your bog standard ford family car Vs the paintjob on a Maybach
I aim for the former
You clearly aim at the later.

I do aim at the latter. My point is that as long as you are using LPU, as the OP posited, it doesn't cost much extra to have the Maybach finish instead of the family car.

For the vast majority of people the bog standard ford finish will more than suffice.

Perhaps next time you should preface your posts with a disclaimer that using your techniques will result in a less than beautiful finish, lest someone take your advice to be relevant to a nice finish.

Does posting in red somehow make your point more valid or is that supposed to be representative of the red haze of anger coming down over your eyes
Clearly the latter!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 18:25   #32
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Oh boy, a flame war! There are lots of ways to do things well. Let Minaret feel good that he has the inside scoop on perfection, while we are off sailing and doing the myriad other pursuits that having a boat demands. The rest of us will be happy, our customers will be happy, and Minaret can be happy. Let's move on, I think the issue has been sufficiently addressed for our readers to make up their minds.
Hey, just trying to share "the inside scoop on perfection" (your words not mine) with others. Isn't that the point of the forum? One of those "other pursuits that that having a boat demands" is indeed painting. Unless you want a rusty, rotten, old hulk that is...
Old 05-08-2012, 18:29   #33

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I do aim at the latter. My point is that as long as you are using LPU, as the OP posited, it doesn't cost much extra to have the Maybach instead of the family car.
And my point to average Joe is not to fall into the "Perfection Trap" as it can bleed you dry of coin and keep you off the water for a very long time.

Quote:
it doesn't cost much extra to have the Maybach instead of the family car
Cant make a silk purse from a sows ear springs to mind for any thinking a paintjob maketh the boat.
Old 05-08-2012, 18:33   #34
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And my point to average Joe is not to fall into the "Perfection Trap" as it can bleed you dry of coin and keep you off the water for a very long time.

And you think the single step of sanding primer with 400 instead of 180 is "falling into the perfection trap" and will bleed you and keep you off the water for a very long time? How does that apply to what we are talking about? I'm only suggesting spending a few more hours on prep and actually reading the manufacterer's application guide might help you achieve a better finish...
Old 05-08-2012, 18:57   #35

Quote:
I can't imagine how you could get a decent finish if you sand for topcoat prep with 180 grit.
Funny how you never decided to take Roy to task for suggesting the same thing but using 120 (seems a bit coarse, maybe he meant 220?)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post489251
Old 05-08-2012, 19:03   #36

Quote:
So you are claiming that you personally have had an LPU topcoat fail due to sanding finer than 220 grit?
Yes, I personally have had paint peel as I pulled the tape away from where it was masked and we used the $7 a roll stuff.
Never had a problem when using a coarser cut.

I know of other boats who have had similar problems in the same area

I know of another two that by the time they has sailed several hundred miles, actually had sheets of paint coming off around the bows from wave action alone, I would think that to could have been caused by lack of "bite"

Not saying everyone has this problem, but it seems I am not the only one here, roy had a problem as have others.
Maybe you are lucky?
Old 05-08-2012, 19:12   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I personally have had paint peel as I pulled the tape away from where it was masked and we used the $7 a roll stuff.
Never had a problem when using a coarser cut.

What kind of paint exactly?

I know of other boats who have had similar problems in the same area

I know of another two that by the time they has sailed several hundred miles, actually had sheets of paint coming off around the bows from wave action alone, I would think that to could have been caused by lack of "bite"

Not saying everyone has this problem, but it seems I am not the only one here, roy had a problem as have others.
Maybe you are lucky?
I doubt I am "lucky", since I have painted well over a hundred boats in my career (probably several hundred but who's counting?). I have never seen a whole LPU job come off in sheets, only small spots due to poor prepwork or contamination, usually along a tape edge which was poorly hand sanded. Even when I was re-shooting jobs which had just been poorly done at other yards I never saw anything like that with LPU. That is why I doubt the problem you are describing happened with an LP paint. Only extremely poor prepwork, a bad mix, severe contamination of a type I have never seen, or an amateur attempt at "hot coating" could cause what you are describing with LP, and I have a hard time believing there are enough morons applying paint out there to create that situation much...
Old 05-08-2012, 19:33   #38

Quote:
What kind of paint exactly?
Exactly?
Cant remember the actual codes but both were LPU's, one was sterling and the other was wattyl.

Now I just use Industrial PU's from Ameron or Jotun because I like to be able to buff every couple of years and they reckon you can't buff either of the LPU's I mentioned
Old 05-08-2012, 20:51   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone else on this forum ever seen an LPU paint come off of large areas in sheet's? Maybe this is just a case of "don't get your boat painted in Australia"...
Old 05-08-2012, 21:12   #40

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

That should be enough for this topic. Isn't there a minder on duty here?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote