Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2018, 12:50   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Topsides look like cracked egg

Scotty-
There were a lot of qc problems in the 80's, when resin costs were skyrocketing and the boat luxury tax combined to kneecap the industry. Lots of people were laid off, cheap help came in, and it is very easy to try and do a good job by laying on a thick gelcoat--except when it is too thick, it is also too stiff and it cracks up from the other layers. Not uncommon, fwiw.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 13:55   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Until recently, I owned an older (early 70's) Pearson 30. The topsides and transom did NOT look like a cracked egg. The Pearson boats are well known for their build quality and strength. Having said that, they are pushing 50 years old. So if it looks bad, it probably is bad. Plenty of old Pearson boats out there that still looks great...why not get one of those?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 464.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	162855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 148.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	162856  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 17:39   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Its pretty much up to you. If you want a pretty boat, fix it.

If you don't need pretty, don't worry about it if your decks are solid and not soft.

My decks are balsa cored and almost 2" thick and are solid. No soft spots and I have yet to paint them. The boat sat on the hard for 5 years unattended then I bought it in 2011 and have sailed it in most all conditions.......cracks/crazing is still about the same.............
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 17:41   #19

Boat: Scout 30

I'm sure everyone knows this but, just so everyone's on the same page, topsides is the area of the hull between the waterline & the deck. Gelcoat crazing on the topsides of an uncored hull would have a different cause than gelcoat cracks on the deck which would typically be due to a compromised deck core. Assuming there is no structural hull damage repairing the topsides would, at the least, require fairing & painting which is no small task. Personally, I would want to sand the cracks out of the gelcoat first because that's the best way to determine if the cracks affect the actual fiberglass & also keep them from showing through the paint.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 23:49   #20

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
I am not quite sure if the "cracked egg" thing you are talking about is in the gelcoat, or if it might be the result of a really old, possibly poorly prepared and applied paint job.
If the surface was poorly prepared, ie not properly cleaned, not properly sanded, or maybe the paint itself was not properly mixed, or the proper chemicals used it can cause "craZing" where the paint does not expand and contract at the same rate as the substrate it is applied to, and it cracks or separates in the process.
I have seen some really nasty situations where someone tried to save a few buck and used the wrong kind of paint (house paint), or over-thinned the paint trying to stretch it out and the paint film thickness is not thick enough to perform the way it is supposed to.
If any version of this is the case it would still require a complete sanding and repainting but NOT stripping the gelcoat.
And then again I could be wrong.
X2
If I’m correct in thinking the Pearson is having a deck and hull joint, then the transom is part of the hull and not the deck. I believe you stated that the transom and deck were egg crazed. Both deck and hull being molded separately would not likely display the same crazing in that fashion or pattern, no ?
My money is on the deck and transom having a funky paint job.
Ask the owner what’s up with that ?
Good luck
Old 26-01-2018, 14:46   #21

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Thanks again for the added input! I have added pictures I just took an hour ago. This particular boat has some nice features that fit us, so I need to be close to positive before making a decision. I realize the gelcoat's main duty is to protect the laminate under it. The areas in question are all on topsides and transom, deck and cabin house are OK. Years ago I had a Pearson 26 that I sailed for many years. Also a tough boat! I expect this Pearson 35 to handle much like my Tartan 27-2, since the hulls are very similar and designed by the same guy, Bill Shaw (he was in charge of the Tartan 27 project while at S&S). Anyway, thanks again for all the great responses! Looking at boats is sometimes more emotion than logic, but I need to at least try to make an educated decision!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	085.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	162898   Click image for larger version

Name:	086.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	162899  

fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 14:49   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4936 View Post
Thanks again for the added input! I have added pictures I just took an hour ago. This particular boat has some nice features that fit us, so I need to be close to positive before making a decision. I realize the gelcoat's main duty is to protect the laminate under it. The areas in question are all on topsides and transom, deck and cabin house are OK. Years ago I had a Pearson 26 that I sailed for many years. Also a tough boat! I expect this Pearson 35 to handle much like my Tartan 27-2, since the hulls are very similar and designed by the same guy, Bill Shaw (he was in charge of the Tartan 27 project while at S&S). Anyway, thanks again for all the great responses! Looking at boats is sometimes more emotion than logic, but I need to at least try to make an educated decision!
Over catalysed resin. Cosmetic only. Still labour intensive and very expensive to repair.
Old 26-01-2018, 14:52   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Over catalysed resin. Cosmetic only.

PS. Gelcoat is simply pigmented resin, it does not protect the laminate from anything but UV degradation. Basically gelcoat is cosmetic in itself.
Old 26-01-2018, 17:16   #24

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Looking at those last 2 pics I think you will have to sand off all of the gelcoat, fair, prime & paint. You can do this yourself if you're handy but it's a labor intensive job. I agree that if you have to pay for this it will be very expensive.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 17:56   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I hope this condition is reflected in the price. If it is, you may have found a real bargain. Having owned a Pearson 30 which served me well and was a pleasure to sail, I am fond of the brand. The 35 in particular is of great interest to me because of its good reputation, features, and shallow draft. Its on my list of "go south" boats I'm watching out for. They are usually attractively priced, due to their age. But if you are good with the cracks, you may have found a a real diamond in the rough. You might post a few more pics of the boat in general. Always eager to see pics of boats and hear their stories.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 13:39   #26

Boat: Freedom 32

Sounds like crazing. If it is, determine if it is only on the surface or if water has seeped in. If a surveyor says there is moisture below then the fix cost is dependent on the area. Also dependent is your ability to fix it yourself. If it is only cosmetic surface crazing, just keep it waxed and monitor annually.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 14:22   #27

Quote:
That looks pretty bad. regardless of whether you can live with it or not. Deduct the price of repainting from the price of the boat. Maybe $10-15k more or less deduction. I guess it depends on listing price, but in a very old 35 footer, I'm thinking near free. I wonder if that's a paint job gone bad? especially seeings as you say it isnt like that on the deck...?
During the recession, ( so maybe not valid now really) there was a 30 ft with new yanmar 3 cyl engine, new main and jib, new roller furling and new standing rigging. Last I saw it was at $5500 or something like that. I think he donated it eventually.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 09:59   #28

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Once again, thank you all! The Pearson 35 is on our short list for the reasons stated by of of the great respondents to my query. Sailing on Great South Bay, which we will do for a few more years until we finally go, pretty much requires less than 4' of draft, which will also be nice as we travel south. This particular one is priced at about 1/3 of what many of these go for, which is appealing. The boat is still being sailed every season, and can be sailed tomorrow if it had to be. If it is largely a cosmetic issue, then maybe i just get over myself and just go for it. Or try to get in in the back yard and work on it. Sanding, light filling, and painting are within my skill set. Grinding and fairing is not. I understand that if I just paint it my will probably re appear over time. Much to ponder, thank you all for your considerable input!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 10:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
I am not quite sure if the "cracked egg" thing you are talking about is in the gelcoat, or if it might be the result of a really old, possibly poorly prepared and applied paint job.
If the surface was poorly prepared, ie not properly cleaned, not properly sanded, or maybe the paint itself was not properly mixed, or the proper chemicals used it can cause "craZing" where the paint does not expand and contract at the same rate as the substrate it is applied to, and it cracks or separates in the process.
I have seen some really nasty situations where someone tried to save a few buck and used the wrong kind of paint (house paint), or over-thinned the paint trying to stretch it out and the paint film thickness is not thick enough to perform the way it is supposed to.
If any version of this is the case it would still require a complete sanding and repainting but NOT stripping the gelcoat.
And then again I could be wrong.

Without photos hard to say but painting over silicon polish can do this.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 10:31   #30

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Once again, thank you all! The Pearson 35 is on our short list for the reasons stated by of of the great respondents to my query. Sailing on Great South Bay, which we will do for a few more years until we finally go, pretty much requires less than 4' of draft, which will also be nice as we travel south. This particular one is priced at about 1/3 of what many of these go for, which is appealing. The boat is still being sailed every season, and can be sailed tomorrow if it had to be. If it is largely a cosmetic issue, then maybe i just get over myself and just go for it. Or try to get in in the back yard and work on it. Sanding, light filling, and painting are within my skill set. Grinding and fairing is not. I understand that if I just paint it my will probably re appear over time. Much to ponder, thank you all for your considerable input!
I agree that it looks like over-catalyzed resin, and also with Peter that you would very likely address it with a 545 primer topped with AlwGrip. Both, however, are very expensive products and prep is pretty labor intensive.

Usually when you see gelcoat cracking around stress points (deck hardware, corners and angles, etc.) there's a 90% chance that they go down into the laminate, maybe not far but certainly into the first schedule. Those cracks will almost certainly come back through paint if not properly fixed (and even then, may reappear in time). But going that route on your boat would not be worth the effort.

I'm at the tail end of refitting my deck, stripping all hardware off, repairing and fairing, and painting. My cracking was stress/age related and the project has been a death march of sorts. Hundreds and hundreds of hours. Had I payed someone to do all of it, it would have been tens of thousands of dollars.

Buy the boat, sail the hell out of it, and sell it when you move on. I suspect that even if you try and fix it yourself, sanding/filling and repainting, you won't get your time and money back when you put her back on the market. And it's the sort of project you can't backtrack on. Once you start, by the time you realize it's going to take more time and money than you had estimated, there is no way out other than pushing on through and completing the project.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote