Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 15:25   #1
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
touching up scratches on a steel hull.

At the moment I use owatrol oil to keep the rust at bay until I get round to touching up the paintwork. Any other ideas or tips?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 15:53   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
A product this side of the pond called Y-10 is great for removing rust stains. . as for the rust itself, wire brush drill fitting to remove . . and sorry to suggest because of cost, but it's what I have, steel gelcoated . . gives best of both worlds . . even a multi chined boat like mine looks like a glass boat, with all the structural integrity of steel beneath, and one off cost . . . I know some will disagree . . but it works for me . . best of luck
Old 05-03-2008, 17:53   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Y10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmul View Post
A product this side of the pond called Y-10 is great for removing rust stains. .
Cheers, Mick. I'd never thought about using Y10 for rust stain removal, I've got some somewhere and ran out of the other stain remover I had so that's one problem solved. Isn't it basically posh axalic acid anyway? What I'm not so sure about is the best way to touch up day to day scratches on the topsides. Well, not actually day to day but a few days tied up against some fishing boats in Morocco left it's mark. Had the hull resprayed with international 2 pack last year but i can't see any way of keeping a nail varnish bottle with some 2 pack in it! Owatrol works really well at stopping the rust but one likes to look ones best. BTW, I'm this side of the pond as well, canaries at the moment and aren't steel boats great!!
Cheers
Padz
Sailing in conachair
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote