Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 04:27   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Trampoline replacement.

I have a Lagoon 42, and the trampoline is made of string quite thin, exceptionally strong (ignoring errant whacks with machetes on coconuts), and uncomfortably stretchy/springy.
Whilst fun for children with little to do, it is unacceptably, well, trampoliny when walking upon it, especially so when banging into oncoming seas.

So being a handy guy, possessing an ancient degree in physics, and being armed with a sewing machine and a credit card, as well as being retired, I decided it would be great fun to make a new one.

So keeping in mind that opinions obey the first law of economics: Does anyone have data, or negative experience with going from a trampoline with 95% permeability, to 25%?
(My new design would have only 25% permeability.)

It suddenly came to me that an unusually unfriendly wave busting upwards on a now 25% permeable tramp might gain enough purchase to rip out some (all?) of the hooks the tramp is attached to.
Does that ever happen? Is that why the design is that way?

I looked on Sailrite of course, and some other sites, and they all offer material which is quite closed, and I have seen a lot of trampolines which are dense and not attached with exceptionally robust hooks/hangers, so I think it would be okay.

But I thought it wise to ask if anyone has any real life experience with disasters in this arena.
Thanks.
manisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:12   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Trampoline replacement.

Not personally, but I've heard of problems even with more permeability than what you are contemplating.

Of course you could just stay at the dock and close to shore, and be fine.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I think that for purposes of your use, netting would work better than cloth. I built a cargo net out of fishing net with a rope edge bound on with nylon twine. It's lasted 20 years, and colors my thinking on this. The rope edge seizes each segment of the net, so it distributes load much better than grommets in cloth would. Take a look at the netting on this site and see if it leads your mind in new directions. Good luck with it.

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/50-86...AaAi_FEALw_wcB
Old 10-03-2021, 07:58   #4

Boat: Lagoon 42

Sorry sorry....

I posted too quickly, and should have looked at what the experts have to say.

Here is the answer:
https://multihullnets.com/Product/tech/netOpenness.aspx
manisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You're not the first. Best wishes on a successful project.

I would not have imagined that there is that much technical information available on the mesh size of catamaran trampolines.
Old 10-03-2021, 17:06   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Sunrise made our tramps, they do good work.

The webbing w/ diagonal weave gave me pause at first, but I was converted. One continuous piece of webbing. No stitching, the weak point, but at the two ends.

I'd like to watch them weave it.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 19:31   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

This is what you get with 40% open in real heavy seas. Plus the $4k in fiberglass repair work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mesh Tramps after storm.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	234302  
Old 10-03-2021, 21:11   #8

Boat: Leopard 45 Catamaran

Hi all

I made new tramps for my cat from dyneema fishing net, dyneema peripheral rope and dyneema lacing. I expect them to last for ages.

See 9:00

https://www.youtube.com/user/eyes333333
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 21:43   #9

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisland View Post
Sorry sorry....

I posted too quickly, and should have looked at what the experts have to say.

Here is the answer:
https://multihullnets.com/Product/tech/netOpenness.aspx
i am not expert but have been in large angry seas. When you get that 10m freak wave directly in front of you without a warning, you want to be as buoyant as possible (not load bows too much, lagoons are good in that respect) and have net that let water thru very easily, else that extra 1/10 of a second that your bows are under water, may turn into tragedy. But as other said, if you do not plan sailing in black holes (lots of nasty weather) , you should be fine.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 00:28   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisland View Post
I have a Lagoon 42, and the trampoline is made of string quite thin, exceptionally strong (ignoring errant whacks with machetes on coconuts), and uncomfortably stretchy/springy.
Whilst fun for children with little to do, it is unacceptably, well, trampoliny when walking upon it, especially so when banging into oncoming seas.

So being a handy guy, possessing an ancient degree in physics, and being armed with a sewing machine and a credit card, as well as being retired, I decided it would be great fun to make a new one.

So keeping in mind that opinions obey the first law of economics: Does anyone have data, or negative experience with going from a trampoline with 95% permeability, to 25%?
(My new design would have only 25% permeability.)

It suddenly came to me that an unusually unfriendly wave busting upwards on a now 25% permeable tramp might gain enough purchase to rip out some (all?) of the hooks the tramp is attached to.
Does that ever happen? Is that why the design is that way?

I looked on Sailrite of course, and some other sites, and they all offer material which is quite closed, and I have seen a lot of trampolines which are dense and not attached with exceptionally robust hooks/hangers, so I think it would be okay.

But I thought it wise to ask if anyone has any real life experience with disasters in this arena.
Thanks.

Check with Lagoon, they should be able to tell you the minimum openness that your boat requires. Generally smaller trampoline areas can have less openness, but again, check the specs for your boat.

Note that it’s not just water passing through that’s the issue, though that can cause issues like with P’s cat earlier (wow, I’ve never seen something like that!), but air. Think about going on a beam reach or upwind in big seas and wind and the bows lift over a sea and all that wind gets under the trampolines. It could capsize you.

Nets at 70+ openness are completely comfortable as long as they are tensioned very tight. Polyester and Dyneema in dark colours will last years. Webbing nets should only be used on small areas and only if they meet the minimum openness of your boat. 25% may as well be solid - that just doesn’t seem safe.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 00:59   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

If you want to lounge at anchor I have seen people use over sheets. A fabric sheet with bungees to hold it in place over the existing tramp. Unclip and fold it up before going to sea.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:21   #12

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

this is the only stuff to use on your tramps

https://www.sergeferrari.com/product...-meshes-492-s2

cheers,
Old 11-03-2021, 02:27   #13

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Hmmm. I’m not sure why no one mentioned it yet, but the primary purpose of the net is to avoid pitch pole. It’s not really about water from the underside. It’s about water from the top, when you’ve dug your bows into a wave.

With plenty of open space in the net you can plow forward with the sterns in the air and the bows dug in deep. With a solid deck or closed trampoline, the deck catches in this close call situation and helps flip you over the rest of the way into a full pitch pole.

Best to keep the net as open as possible for safety
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 17:30   #14

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
this is the only stuff to use on your tramps

https://www.sergeferrari.com/product...-meshes-492-s2

cheers,
Only if your trampolines are very small - that’s a very low openness for that fabric. OK for a marina queen or heavy boat with small bow openings, but not medium to large trampolines.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 18:42   #15

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Only if your trampolines are very small - that’s a very low openness for that fabric. OK for a marina queen or heavy boat with small bow openings, but not medium to large trampolines.
we don't fit into either category and find it perfect...but we don't bury the bows that deep that often. prefer the security of this material, which is not going fail

anyway, each to his own

cheers,

Tags
men, ramp