Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2017, 01:55   #1

Boat: 1993 Horstman Tristar trimaran, 46'
Transom/ Platform lift

Has anybody tried adding the type of lift that we're starting to see on the newer catamarans? Sort of like a swim step that is electrically or hydraulically operated to raise and lower the platform from the deck to the water's surface, maybe a few inches below the surface? Most photos of this upgrade show a dinghy on it. I'm not looking to raise/ lower that much weight. I just want a platform that my girls can hang out on at the waters surface. I have the space under the wings of my bridge deck so that the platform will be out of the way when not in use. I'm concerned about weight though since I have a trimaran (mine is somewhat sensitive to loading down too much). But I'm thinking if I go with honeycomb sheets glass/epoxy for the platform itself, I can get the weight way, way down. So most of the weight would be in the telescoping/ scissoring metal frame and the electric motors to make it all work. By keeping it light I thinking I can go with electric lift motors, like the ones used one engine bay door lifts on boats, vs a heavier hydraulic lift setup. It doesn't have to be all that huge. In fact it would be fairly small, say 2'x5'

Since I don't need dinghy storage capacity (I used davits for local cruising and store the dinghies on deck for passages). I'm thinking I can work with an engineer to build/ design it in such a way as to keep the weight way down. However, I would want the platform to support 4-5 adults once lowered into the water.

Thoughts?
captaingregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 02:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Transom/ Platform lift

That is going to be some structure to support 4 or 5 adults in a seaway.

UK dive boats now have lifts to raise one diver and kit which might be of interest.

I could understand it if you had someone disabled on board, but for anyone fit and active well think I would be advising them to use the bloody ladder like everyone else does, the exercise really is good for them.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skindeeper_side.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	151938  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 02:50   #3

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I don't think the OP wants to raise and lower the platform with people on it ? Or do you......

If not the size is so small the weight would be less than you would want/need lifting gear.

I am working on a larger platform but I will have a tender on it. The mechanism to guide the platform up and down doesn't need to be very robust. It only guides and controls the path the platform takes, the ropes take the weight and the mechanism needs to be able to handle the boat moving around a bit.
Old 15-07-2017, 03:10   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

As you wrote, your boat is sensitive to weight. Don't add the features for 1% "nice to have" that will be an impediment 99% of the time.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 04:26   #5

Boat: Currently in between

If you want a vertical lift consider concentrating on the guides and use a simple block and tackle for manual raising/lowering. You would need some kind of locks to keep it in place when down or it will bounce and possibly pinch somebody's something!

What may serve the purpose nicely and be way more cost effective and efficient would be a hinged swim platform on the side. I'm not sure of your wing clearance but 2' X 5' may fit and some of the platform would be under the wing (shade) and some would be in sunlight.
Old 15-07-2017, 08:07   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Kinda curious where '4-5 adults' are going to fit on a 2' x 5' platform, but the project is doable, especially if you're only lowering the platform 24-36" or so.

I'd be thinking of using some stainless steel gas struts to hold it in the up position, with the down position being achieved by loading (standing on it) and latching...

Would take some engineering but could be a fun project.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift