Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2022, 07:21   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Transom teak touch up suggestions?

With the exception of the few repairs i’m asking for suggestions on here, I’m about ready to begin varnishing our Grand Banks 42 transom after having wooded down.
1. She’s new to us as of October. No idea what. it was at one point fastened with the holes you will see in one photo below, but I’m looking for any advice on what to fill these with to get the closest color match possible. There are small holes so even a less than perfect pigment filler could be dabbed with some stain or furniture repair marker before varnishing and hide these pretty well, but I’m wondering if any of you have tricks that have worked for you?
2. Also looking for suggestions regarding the pic that shows a little bit of missing wood and the gap between the teak molding and the fiberglass transom. My thoughts are to mix some epoxy and some teak dust I have kept and fill this gap than fair and put a bead of sealant. Is that the best plan or do you have other ideas. It’s neither long enough nor bad enough in my opinion to go to the trouble of scarfing in a piece of teak.
3. The other picture shows a couple of small cracks and the actual planks themselves. These are so small I plan to put unthickened epoxy in them for sit in some white, then cover with tape to keep it from draining out.
4. Finally and you can see a bit of it in the pic of the small crack(photo attached vertically instead of correctly horizontal)when I cleaned the gap between the boards further it shows a little better the small gaps at some spots between the planks. I want to run a very thin bead of the proper sealant in those spots however I’m wondering what would be both a weather resistant seal that also didn’t stand out when I start applying varnish.

Thanks in advance to any of you veterans of these projects for your thoughts and suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B295163-DBD0-4B0A-B23A-9D9A5328B4A1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	253266   Click image for larger version

Name:	10849468-A2AB-416D-B48B-68571EB62C78.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	253267  

Click image for larger version

Name:	538468CE-62F0-476A-B36D-553CCF4799F7.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	253268  
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 15:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Transom teak touch up suggestions?

Hmmmm.

Quite a project. Looks like you need to gear up. In particular, some wood, some filler, and some stain that are about the right color. If the pictures are accurate, your wood is a bit on the gray side. Nothing wrong with that.

One starting point is a kit like this one, with some inspired color matching:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09295DHVH...0-c6bd49c9535c

A filler and a stain of sorts that mimic what you've got.

OK. Then the question becomes, "At this blemish, do I cut and replace wood and stain it, or do I squeeze in filler of the right color?" The black holes, for example, you might drill out with a 1/4" bit, then tap in 1/4" dowel, cut it off and sand, and stain. The crack looks like a candidate for pushing in filler with a spatula. That piece at the bow? Leave it for last. You could fill it, moulding plastic wood into the space, etc. You could cut it out and make a replacement to glue in place. That's the one that will challenge you.

Proceed carefully. Do work that you will be proud of. Good luck with it.

Tags
teak