Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 08:58   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Trick to filling epoxy syringes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
The West System with the 205 hardener I just sucked into the syringe with the plunger. If it won't go in that way how would you hope to get it out? I must be missing something here.

B,

This is true for the "unthickened epoxy'" but when you mix in additives:
(Hi/Low/Colloidal Silica, etc.), this is difficult, if not impossible to do. For example, many times when I am joining structural pieces, I will add the Hi-Density filler to the epoxy resin for a better bond. Then, the trusty palette knife is indispensable. Hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:00   #17

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
Epoxy mixed in anything other than small quantities, spread thin, is quick to heat up (exotherm) and boil, creating a weak foam when it hardens, and a big mess where it overflows. Cooling the components in a bucket of ice before mixing will give you some more working time, but you'll still need to use small quantities and work fast. As others have suggested, you may be disappointed at how little of the epoxy will penetrate and permeate the delaminated area, and even if you can find voids to spot fill, if the core is wet, it won't do much good, so if the delamination is localized, you may be better off cutting and lifting the outer skin and replacing the core completely.

Good luck
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
I agree. My repair mentioned above was not on wet coring; different animal and repair.
I am filling holes and minor voids/delaminations.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:04   #18

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I appreciate the input and feedback. The two spots in question are about 1'x1' each, and are a bone dry core...just delaminated, after drilling test holes. They just have a small amount of give, and I want them firm. The PO did both re-coring, and injection in large parts of the deck(49 yr old boat), both of which are hard as a rock.

I will be using 404 or 406 for a filler, just not thickened too much. I need it to flow through the void and fill the gap.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:20   #19

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

If using the West syringes, cut the tip back to give a nozzle sized to the hole - then suck the epoxy up with the syringe. If it don't go in, it won't come out.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:50   #20

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

WEST six10 is an extraordinarily expensive way to purchase thickened epoxy. Better to mix it yourself.

These are the best syringes I have found. Fill using a narrow mixing stick.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:59   #21

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

You have gravity working for you, mix epoxy resin with microbubbles, thin with MEK if needed to get the consistency of pancake batter, then use funnel.
I use funnels (cheap ones from auto parts store) or turkey basters to place expoxy resing mixed with chopped strand and microbubles. Use wax paper around the entry hole to catch drippings
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 13:13   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I have seen lots of posts on the drill and fill and I'm interested in how this turns out please keep us posted. I have a small area myself that I would like to try and since I don't already have epoxy it seems like a couple tubes of six10 might be the easiest as you don't have to worry with mixing and than trying to load a syringes etc.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 13:42   #23

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Y...mix epoxy resin with microbubbles, thin with MEK...
NEVER add anything to epoxy that is not specifically recommended by its formulator. Also microballoons are for lightweight, sand-able fairing compound only--not high strength filler.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 14:28   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

If you are injecting though small holes and hoping it spreads, why thicken?

Use a slow hardener. This will reduce the tendency to exotherm inside the deck and gum-up in the syringes.
Old 06-07-2017, 16:27   #25

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

we buy epoxy syringes from the same place we buy our epoxy / they are very easy to use / thoroughly mix the epoxy depress the plunger in syringe dip the end of the syringe in the epoxy withdraw the epoxy slowly / keeping the plunger in the lowering epoxy / then !!!! place the end of the syringe in the pre drilled hole (that's a neat fit right size for your syringe) carefully depress the syringe plunger to pressurize epoxy into your project / requires skill / syringes are reusable so you can practice on something else first
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 20:18   #26

Not sure which mag covered it maybe Good Old Boat but isn't there a technique with well-thinned epoxy so it would absorb through the soft pulp and then cure basically forming a pulp-poxy composite?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 21:46   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Has anyone tried injecting epoxy and then clamping the layers together using scattered small temporary through bolts? I have not done this on decks, but I have on other projects, with very good success. It seems like a better bet than filling and hoping. I've heard folks mention weights, but bolts can apply a lot more pressure, it is neater, easier to clean up what squeezes out (some should) and easier to adjust. Great for small areas. Take them out while the epoxy is green. Just use the holes you've already drilled.

Or have I missed something?
Old 07-07-2017, 05:42   #28

I used the syringe used the syringes that came with my fiber optic termination kit these syringes were meant for inserting epoxy into the connector they worked great for all the planking on my Wooden Boat the only thing I didn't use was the needle itself just a syringe suck the epoxy out of the container with the syringe and push it into the area that you're looking to glue up where you would find them difficult to say telecommunication supply house is where I buy my fiber-optic also I also purchased the syringes from a local pharmacy when I was in a jam and couldn't get them from the supply house
datapete568b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
B,

This is true for the "unthickened epoxy'" but when you mix in additives:
(Hi/Low/Colloidal Silica, etc.), this is difficult, if not impossible to do. For example, many times when I am joining structural pieces, I will add the Hi-Density filler to the epoxy resin for a better bond. Then, the trusty palette knife is indispensable. Hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing.
So how do you get the trowels inside the hole?

OP: For what you are doing, I would think unthickened epoxy would work fine and then you just stick the tip in and pull the plunger back. For less than an inch square, you shouldn't need much in the way of structural strength if you are just filling holes.

Just make sure if the hole goes all the way thru, that you tape the underside well so it doesn't just run out the bottom....been there...done that...had the mess to clean up.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 21:35   #30

Boat: Chinook 34

I put the tip of the syringe into the epoxy and pull the plunger. *shrug*
Caolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy