Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 11:30   #1

Trinidad in August: some like it hot?

Hi fellow cruisers,

Having decided to haul out in Chaguaramas, Trinidad this July or August I am trying to get an idea of how feasible it would be to live on board and do some work on the boat myself for a month.
Although I'm not a spring chicken (a fit 64 year old) my partner and I don't mind slumming it for a while. We don't mind boat noise and toxic dust for a month. However we are Brits and high humidity and baking heat would not be so easy to bear.
I see that the yard rent out air conditioning units which makes me think that it might not be too horrible to live on board. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Thanks

Simon
sailingsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:22   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Trinidad in August: some like it hot?

We spent the entire hurricane season there with no ac but then again we are a lot older than you -- OH and we spent a July August in Cartagena Colombia with no ac -

we deal with it - the way life is
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

We had the boat in Chaguaramas last hurricane season, on the hard at Power Boats.

The boatyard was great. No complaints about that. No problem working on your own boat either.

But Trinidad in August is VERY humid - you will definitely be hot and sweaty. Especially if you are doing any work in the boat out of any breeze.

Also, the water around there is not the most inviting. You probably won't want to be swimming in it, and the nearest proper beach is a car drive away. Any tourist stuff is also a car drive away.

Some people do live on their boats there year round, but our conclusion was that it was a great place to leave the boat, and to have work done on it, but not a place we would want to spend any time ourselves.

However, if you had AC on the boat, and had a long-term car rental it might not be so bad.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
... and the nearest proper beach is a car drive away. Any tourist stuff is also a car drive away...
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Simon.

'Members Only' Maxi Taxi Service is owned and operated by Jesse James
'Members Only' Maxi Taxi Service - Home

'Members Only' Maxi Taxi Service - SSCA Cruising Station Host

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
We had the boat in Chaguaramas last hurricane season, on the hard at Power Boats.

The boatyard was great. No complaints about that. No problem working on your own boat either.

But Trinidad in August is VERY humid - you will definitely be hot and sweaty. Especially if you are doing any work in the boat out of any breeze.

Also, the water around there is not the most inviting. You probably won't want to be swimming in it, and the nearest proper beach is a car drive away. Any tourist stuff is also a car drive away.

Some people do live on their boats there year round, but our conclusion was that it was a great place to leave the boat, and to have work done on it, but not a place we would want to spend any time ourselves.

However, if you had AC on the boat, and had a long-term car rental it might not be so bad.
Hi thanks for the help and advice. I had assumed it would be very humid but wanted to confirm. In that case we will probably get the yard to do the antifouling prep and paint while we get a car and aircon.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We spent the entire hurricane season there with no ac but then again we are a lot older than you -- OH and we spent a July August in Cartagena Colombia with no ac -

So clearly not unbearable our plan is similar..going to ABCS and Columbia after Trinidad. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Simon.

'Members Only' Maxi Taxi Service is owned and operated by Jesse James
'Members Only' Maxi Taxi Service - Home

'Members Only' Maxi Taxi Service - SSCA Cruising Station Host
Thanks for the tip Gord. .always so useful to have contacts before arriving.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:23   #8

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Biggest issue with T&T in August is it is the wet season. Trust me it will rain everyday, nearly always at about 1pm. Somedays it will be right proper Glasgow dreich and even feel cold as the mercury plummets to 25C.

I lived there for 3 years but it's not that bad. 32 to 33C regardless of the season and the humidity isn't that bad really. I never had the AC on below 28C in the house and found the supermarkets and shopping malls to be bloody freezing.

I would second the comments about not wanting to swim in the water around that area unless you like swimming in a liquid trash can. Lots and lots of garbage floats around Williams Bay. If you want to go swimming or have a beach break then hop on the air bridge to Tobago and spend a few days at Coconut Reef.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:08   #9

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

We rented a hatch top a/c unit while in Trinidad. Kept the boat cool & DRY! Well worth the rental cost!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:35   #10

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
We rented a hatch top a/c unit while in Trinidad. Kept the boat cool & DRY! Well worth the rental cost!

I have a 51.4 Beneteau Cyclades and thinking of taking her down to Chaguaramas myself. I would appreciate it if anyone reading this could advise me of a good place to haul out bottom job, and leave her there for the hurricane season.

Thank you Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:31   #11

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

My kinda cruisers! Love your response!!

Cheers!
Old 09-04-2019, 12:47   #12

Boat: Nautor Swan, Swan 47#54

Chaguaramas is an excellent place to go any time of the year, even though August is in the rainy season, so it is humid but it will not rain every day. Powerboats is an excellent and friendly boatyard, many different qualified contractors are available but no must to use them. Please make a reservation in advance for haul out and storage. Otherwise Peakes or Coral Cove yards on either side of Powerboats are also good.
I have been there on and off for the last 10 years, for swimming go down the islands or to Tobago.
The quality of the water has improved a lot, less trash in the water than 5 years ago, here they also learn to put trash in garbage bags.
The Rotie shop at Powerboats is a treat!
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 19:12   #13

If you intend to live on the boat, rent an AC. (100USD/month) It is hot and humid. On top of that you might have some mosquitos that makes it hard to open up for ventilation at night.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 13:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansailor View Post
If you intend to live on the boat, rent an AC. (100USD/month) It is hot and humid. On top of that you might have some mosquitos that makes it hard to open up for ventilation at night.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-04-2019, 13:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Chaguaramas is an excellent place to go any time of the year, even though August is in the rainy season, so it is humid but it will not rain every day. Powerboats is an excellent and friendly boatyard, many different qualified contractors are available but no must to use them. Please make a reservation in advance for haul out and storage. Otherwise Peakes or Coral Cove yards on either side of Powerboats are also good.
I have been there on and off for the last 10 years, for swimming go down the islands or to Tobago.
The quality of the water has improved a lot, less trash in the water than 5 years ago, here they also learn to put trash in garbage bags.
The Rotie shop at Powerboats is a treat!
Thanks for your advice. I look forward to the roti shop