Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 12:07   #16

Re: Trying to Sell, but these $'s for adjustments seem excessive, a little help pleas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Beard View Post
Drop the price by the $4000 and say good bye to the boat!
Often times the first good offer is the best offer.
As mentioned, the price of keeping the boat could easily exceed money you are worried about.
Sell it!
You can always tell them take it as is, and that you won't make the adjustments. Are there really that many boats likes yours out there?
wcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:08   #17

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Trying to Sell, but these $'s for adjustments seem excessive, a little help pleas

I would take the money and run.

Given the asking price the 4K reduction represents less than three percent. The next buyer will likely find all the same issues if you haven’t spent the money to fix them. Their offer may be lower.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:26   #18

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I say let her go Skip. Slip fees, maintenance, insurance, and peace of mind all have a price. Cut your losses short as we say in trading futures. Get that weight off your shoulders and allow yourself to enjoy your new boat. It is a tough market to sell boats. Many boat owners... with decent boats... would love to be in your position of having to negotiate the bottom line. You are almost home free. What they are asking is within reasonable practice. Good luck. I have a boat in San Carlos.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 12:35   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

How does the surveyor know that WoT is supposed to be 3800? looking at the service manual peak HP is down at 3000 rpm so anything above that is just wasting fuel anyway.

Check here http://www.marizo.hr/LinkClick.aspx?...language=hr-HR

running at that RPM could be bad for the engine!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 14:26   #20
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas The Moment View Post
I want to thank everyone for all of their comments. They have all been extremely educational.

To respond to some of the questions posed to me in this thread, the asking price was 165k. The reason I did not do a pre-check is because I've been sailing in Mexico on my other boat while it was on the market. As far as the zinc was concerned, I pay a diver monthly to clean my bottom and replace the anodes. They still had at least one month to go, and to be honest with you my feeling on that is similar to having your engine oil 1/2 quart low. It's ongoing maintenance.

All three parties have negotiated a give-and-take, the buyer the seller and the broker. With each individual compromising a little, we now have a deal in the process of finalization paperwork.

I really love this forum, all comments regardless of there criticism or encouragement. It helps me be a better sailor.

Thanks again for everyone's help
Glad it's working out for you.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 14:42   #21

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

Bruce Beard, you couldn't have said it better. I started to write the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Why do we quibble over this kind of sales stuff? There are so many boats out there for sale, you're lucky to sell. Drop the price by $4,000 and be done.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 17:39   #22

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

3. Cutlass bearing.

I just had mine changed. $500. $400 labor. $100 parts. They had to cut it out. Actually, only half cut...it loosened up enough to pop out once they started cutting. If they had the right tool, it would have cost even less.

The $400 labor included pulling the prop shaft...which was no big deal.
Old 25-05-2018, 07:03   #23

Boat: Scout 30

The prices are high. The rpms are a non-issue. Doesn't matter. Take the $4,000 hit & sell the boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 07:16   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

3% hit on a boat that was not fully preped.

Sell and be happy.
Old 25-05-2018, 12:02   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Sell and be happy.

That is the bottom line, who cares is there is a problem or if they are really going to do anything about it.
Only relevant point is are you willing to accept their offer?
Would it have mattered if they had said boats perfect, but we will make an offer 4K off your asking price?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 12:41   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Sell and be happy.
Don't feel guilty about the boat's "not being prepped". You got a full price offer less 3%?? You done good!! Take the money and run! Don't get hung up on how they got to that very modest number.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 12:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is the bottom line, who cares is there is a problem or if they are really going to do anything about it.
Only relevant point is are you willing to accept their offer?
Would it have mattered if they had said boats perfect, but we will make an offer 4K off your asking price?
This is taking place after the price has already been negotiated. Chances are the seller has already come down off the asking price.

One of the irritating things about selling houses & boats: The seller lists his boat at a price that includes depreciation due to the imperfect condition of the boat. The buyer offers a price based on the condition of the boat. Then a survey is done & the surveyor finds some things wrong with the boat. The buyer then renegotiates the purchase price because the boat is not perfect when the boat was never priced as perfect to start with. In effect the seller is being asked to pay for the depreciation twice.
Old 25-05-2018, 12:52   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Don't feel guilty about the boat's "not being prepped". You got a full price offer less 3%?? You done good!! Take the money and run! Don't get hung up on how they got to that very modest number.
Does the Op actually say that he got a full price offer?
Old 25-05-2018, 12:55   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Still comes to a decision of whether you’ll take it or not.
I went thru similar crap buying our first house, sellers actually went up after we agreed, and then started making silly demands.
Really should have walked, but the Wife really wanted it.

So at the end of the day, the only relevance is do you take it or not?
Many wish they had taken an offer they turned down, before spending more money on the boat, to take less later.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:56   #30

Boat: 105 Palmer Johnson MY

Sounds like you worked it out. Good for you! As many have said selling a boat is a good thing and hard to do.

I treat these issues that arise as just a negotiation. I have used survey comments to negotiate price too. Different surveyors will find different issues whether you prepped her or not and the guys telling you they prepped their boat will still get issues.
DShant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, men