Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2015, 21:11   #1

Tuning DIY

First can someone explain rig tuning to me and the need for tuning, how do I know she is "out of tune"
Vessel is a 1980 hunter 30, I am the second owner, can't say if original owner ever had her tuned . Gentle man told me the other day "shrouds look slack" have I ever tuned them, I said no and that was end of conversation. So how do I tune, can I DIY ? What tools are needed?
What are specs ?
Where can I look for specs , and lastly improper tune standing rigging can cause ,,,,,???Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1435291884.559015.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	104253

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Birdsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 21:18   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Tuning DIY

B&R Rig??
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 21:28   #3

I'm sorry but I think b&r rig eleminates back stay and on newer models so I don't think I have b&r rigging
Birdsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 04:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

http://www.marlow-hunter.com/export/...%20Rigging.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 05:04   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

There are tons of articles if you do a search for rig tensioning. Here's an article that includes rig tensioning, mast rake, and mast pre-bend.

You may as well set it all at one time if you're going to do it. (but) Some of the finer points aren't real necessary if you are a cruiser unless you find yourself on the same course with another Hunter 30 and want to come out ahead

http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/...-Tune-Bend.pdf

and another:

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/petrearigging.html

plus:

https://www.google.com/#q=rig+tensioning
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 05:50   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

On my boat, a good ole 1974 Bristol 27, I used a Loos Gauge and set all stays (shrouds, forestay, backstay, etc) to 440lbs except the forward lowers which I set to 550lb for a bit of pre-bend.

It may have been a bit much for this old boat, but I have left it this way for 3 years now.

I used to set my racing beach cats this way but they were new boats or close to new. We used to crank in 700-1000lbs on the diamond wires to get max pre-bend on heavy wind days (depending on how much spreader rake we had)
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 06:04   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

Here were the parting words of my rigger, which I kept for my records:

"Regarding your rig; you want to pre-stretch the wire to about 10% of its breaking strength. The tensile strength can be found online (even West Marine's catalog) for each diameter of wire, these calculate 10% and look for that number on your gauge. The inner forestay will get less (5 to 8%) and the backstays can have more (12 to 15%). Don't be a total slave to the gauge, keep the rig happy. You can also just snug the leeward shrouds while sailing. Count the number of turns, tack the boat and take up the exact number on the opposite side. You are trying to keep the rig in column and relatively stable. And remember, it is not designed as a race boat! Treat it as two panels, upper and lower, separated by your spreaders. Lower shrouds control the lower panel, caps and intermediates the upper. You generally tune from the top down. DO NOT forget to re-pin the turnbuckles when done!"
laika is offline   Reply With Quote