Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2023, 14:50   #1

Turn 70's wooden shower (head) into modern waterproof cove?

Hi everybody,

I'm in the market for a nauticat (44). Due to budget it will be an 80's boat. It seems to me - although I could not find any hards facts on this so far - that between 1982 and 1986 the layout (not only at Nauticats) changed from all wood toilets and showers to the more modern all waterproof complete top to bottom plastic versions we still see today.

As we want to use the ship in the north (Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia) I would greatly welcome a warm shower from time to time.

Does anyone here know, if those compartments, which seem to me as "all plastic" are really all plastic, or have there been versions of epoxy or gelcoat covered wooden heads? And is it possible to turn an all wood head into an "everyday shower" by coating the wood?

thanks for all your highly appreciated input!

regards
ralph / cologne
Old 09-03-2023, 19:33   #2

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Turn 70's wooden shower (head) into modern waterproof cove?

The surface can be water proofed with varnish or epoxy or paint. The joints and seems are what you need to worry about. Caulking would seal them. Or you could make a shower stall with Formica , Starboard or FRP sheet goods.

A shower curtain works fine too.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 03:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

You could sand down the surface of a wood shower, fill any seams with fairing putty, and cover with several layers of fiberglass cloth in epoxy. After fairing it smooth, a high-gloss PLU paint will be easiest to clean.
Fairing will be the most time-consuming portion, especially all the inside corners.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:10   #4

There are whole boats built out of wood that are waterproof without covering in fiberglass. A shower is easy if it is constructed properly and has been cared for so it has not rotted.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, shower, water, wood