Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 05:45   #91

Sorry guys. pics are in word documents on my computer. Not yet very ofay with all this blogging and moving pictures around. I am pretty sure I can attach them to an email from me to a subscriber though so if anyone wants to see them I can do it that way. The trials aor on-going and we may put the monthly reports up on the web but it just is not a priority.
Old 30-01-2009, 16:48   #92

Boat: Grand Banks 36 Banksia
Ultra soonic anti-fouling: Maybe it will work, maybe not. I will wait until one of those marketing companies have independantly tested and proved the product for more than a year. A few months in the water just isn't enough to justify the cost outlay. Theory and practical outcomes might be diverging!
Old 30-01-2009, 19:02   #93
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
$4,000 buys a lot of dive time.
Do the math:

30' boat cleaned quarterly at $2.25/foot = $270/year
2 zincs replaced yearly = $50/year
Total hull cleaning expense = $320/year

Number of years of professional hull/running gear/thru-hull/transducer cleaning and zinc replacement $4000 buys you = 12.5 years
Old 30-01-2009, 23:03   #94

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Do the math:

Number of years of professional hull/running gear/thru-hull/transducer cleaning and zinc replacement $4000 buys you = 12.5 years
And also consider $4000 plus the diver still has to go down to do the zinc, once or twice a year. I am a former Toolmaker, Engineer and Manufacturer. I can assure you the product cost is 1/10 the selling price. Even with hefty liability insurance, it seems terribly expensive. However, I do like the concept and I know federal and state agencies are dying for a reason to band bottom paint.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-01-2009, 12:41   #95

Boat: FP Tobago 35
If this stuff worked, the major shipping companies would be lining up at their door!

If you burn 100 tons of fuel per day, and your drag grows by 0.4% per month, and a haulout costs 150,000 $/day, plus 400k for a bottom job, a maintenance free system like this claims to be could easily have a sales value of more than 500k$....

Steel is also more homogeneous that fibre glass, and has a lower sonic impedance, so if it worked, it would be more efficient on a steel hull

Ultrasonic waves are likely to move along the material (hull) as through, with a layered material like a solid layup of fibreglass, it becomes very much a hit and miss thing....

Alan
Old 25-02-2009, 03:31   #96

Talking Bubbles

Hello all ran into your site while doing a little research on these ultra sonic thingy mi bobs. I am a diver "bottom scrubber" and am being constantly asked about these devices, like I would give a sales pitch anyway. Just like to say thanks Wheels and the rest of you for the info and giggles on the subject.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:28   #97

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Send a message via Skype™ to jezzb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Do the math:

I've seen another system being sold in the US and it sell for USD$ 1250 for a 30ft boat. If their system works, you will get your money back in just 4.5 yrs. The zincs you will still have to change.

I am tempted to try this system out ... but what if it does not work ....

Jezzb
Old 19-03-2009, 15:34   #98

I am in the process of buying a 38 ft Irwin. It will need a good bottom job probably going to the barrier coat , and application of a new bvarrier coat.

I have read about the ultrasonic antifoul as well as the threads posted here, and I am probably more confused and less sure of the optimum course of action I should pursue.,

The boat will be in th Chesapeake/Florida area, where algae and 'critters' are rampant.

Has anyone out there used this method with experience of the more conventional anti-fouling methods. I see there is a potential, if it works, of tremendoua cost savings, but if it doesn't work, a , major cost increase.

Looking forward to hearing all views, but please the constructive ones will help a whole load more.

John
Old 20-03-2009, 08:53   #99

I have just placed an order on an Ultrasonic System which has more that one resonator. To be exact, the system I bought has 8 resonators. I will post my findings here, but it will be in late Septermber and it is then I take out my boat.

regards
Jezzb
Old 20-03-2009, 14:24   #100

Hi Jezzb

The 8 resonator system sounds interesting, unless it is a question on quantity over quality. But then you will also haqve a large redundancy factor in case of individual resonator failure. All these factors make comparison between newtechnology and older 'paint' solutions mor difficult.

Is the EPA placing restrictions on the type of antifoul paint that will be permitted over the next few years?

Looking forward to being educated by those with experience and hearing your results and hopefully successes.

John
Old 21-03-2009, 07:54   #101

Hi John,

I sell One piece Stainless Steel manifolds for Mercruiser, Volvo, Omc etc. My supplier of the Stainless Steel manifolds is also a distributor for this product. He installed this Ultrasonic system on his boat two months ago and he promised me that this system really works. When he launched the boat, he tied up a piece of stainless steel next to his boat. He told me that the stainless steel is full of barnicles and stuff and his boat is still clean. I have known his guy for over a year now. What he told me about his manifolds before I became a distributor was true and I see no reason why I shouldn't trust him this time. This is why I decided to order a system for my boat.

Kind Regards
Jesmond
Old 21-03-2009, 12:04   #102

Boat: Trismus 37
jezzb, please keep us informed of your experiences with the ultrasonic system.
Old 21-03-2009, 12:45   #103

Yes I definately will.

Thanks
Jezz
Old 21-03-2009, 14:46   #104

Jezz

I am going to be cruising the Med from June 2009 till October, before joining the ARC. One of the stops planned is Malta, but exactly when I don't yet know. The skipper and us crew have not yet worked out details and then of course there are the winds etc to work with. I would like to stay in touch and visit you, so as to get a first hand looksee at the system, whether installed or not. Since I have only just signed on to the forum I do not know if I am breaching protocol by suggesting that we make arrangements to meet, if you are prepared, direct and outside the forum.

Perhaps the moderator could jump in and offer advice.

In the meantime thanks for your input.

John
Old 22-03-2009, 08:28   #105

Hi John,

That's great. I would be more than happy to meet up. I will be away from the 29th of May till the 10th of June, but after that date I will be in Malta again.

You can send me an email to sales(AT)maltaboating.com and I will send you my mobile number.

Should you need any informaton or need help with anything, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I do not think that we are breaching any protocol if we meet up for beer or to see the system

Best Regards
Jesmond

Tags
anti-fouling