Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 07:44   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Update LPG system or replace stove with something safer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Emergency shutoff solenoid $70
Propane leak detector varies (i paid about $50-100)
New tank with built in OPD valve ($172)

Seems kind of extreme to pull out the whole system over buying a new tank, and a recommended safety equipment.

Which all boats of any size should have a co, smoke, and flammable gas detector on board anyway.

For best safety wire your leak detector remote output through a relay to your shutoff solenoid.

costs in Canada

Tank with OPD. $60 all recreational propane tanks have OPD valves in them
Solenoid control with sniffer -$200ish
Regulator - $150
Hose - $100-150
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:10   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Those are all fairly simple accessories to replace / install. I would be inclined to thoroughly check the rest of the installation just to be sure, but then would just upgrade to meet standard and enjoy the convenience of propane.
Agree!

The parts are not deal breakers. Shop the parts on line. I keep a spare solenoid as well, cheap at the boat show. Easy enough to learn about your stove. Assume your tanks aren’t decrepit. Tanks OPD can be added if you hydrostatic test the tanks. This needs to be done anyway and they remove the valves for the test. New valves are around $15 and have the OPD. Propane is easy to find in the US and Caribbean. Do you have a proper locker? You can build one in or buy the on deck ABYC compliant locker.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:39   #18

Please check the pressure reducer that lowers the tank pressure to the stove pressure. It a diaphragm that deteriorates then leaks. There are guide lines for marine use. With expiration times.
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:47   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Find out if you can convert to use 1 lb canisters. That can reduce the risks to negligible given manual turn off when not in use. If economy is an issue you can carry a large container on deck and manually refill the little cans as necessary. I believe most insurers will accept this as no more risky than a rail mounted propane grill.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:30   #20

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Find out if you can convert to use 1 lb canisters. That can reduce the risks to negligible given manual turn off when not in use. If economy is an issue you can carry a large container on deck and manually refill the little cans as necessary. I believe most insurers will accept this as no more risky than a rail mounted propane grill.
That sounds like a plan that would not pass a survey,,,and potentially dangerous. How do you swap out an empty canister when the stove is hot? In this case the conventional install is the most prudent way to go..
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:41   #21

Boat: Rawson 30PH

An alternative I chose and really enjoy - switch to a diesel stove.

Reduces risk, frees up storage by getting rid of propane tanks and I get a nice dry heat that keeps the boat condensation problems minimal.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:04   #22

Most everything old is grandfathered in, never heard of an insurance company "condemning" something like that, but wouldn't be surprised. I'd look for another insurance company.

A solenoid and new tank are easy peasy. A sniffer is useless but very cheap. There must be a million boats from the 70's-90's out there with old Propane systems. They are not all condemned.
If you are just coastal/local sailing, get insurance from your car insurance company. They usually dont bat an eye at anything and dont even want a survey in my experience.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:40   #23

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I had some gas work done in my home and I asked the gas fitter if he would be able to service my Force 10 stove from the boat. He asked how old it was and when I said “probably more than 30 years”, he said he would not recommend a service because the stove would automatically be condemned and insurance would lapse.

The stove works perfectly with the only failure being the piezo lighters which have long since been substituted by a BBQ clicker.

In New Zealand you have to be the equivalent of a brain surgeon to be deemed clever enough to do any form of gas work. Having said that, the attachment shows what happens to a family home when the gas fitter gets it wrong!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003B06AC-6377-4E26-B95D-44BED7D412BB.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	224745  
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 14:37   #24

Not long ago there was a long series of items re gas on boats. Definitely worth looking at.
Not mentioned so far in this lot is the possibility of using an induction cooker. Pros and cons but that seems to be the direction things are going.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 15:04   #25

Boat: GibSea 472

Thermo couple should be mandatory on any propane burner on a boat. In fact, an propane installation on a boat should be first class. Including one or more propane detectors, a solenoid switch, a Carbon monoxid detector with a loud alarm. I have seen a large Beneteau after an gaz explosion that killed crew members. Horrible is was as if a bomb explosion!. So, no skimping in that domain. By by the way, my force 10 stove had problems with thermocouples, that was easily fixed by cleaning the ground connections of the thermocouples.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 22:27   #26

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Origo has stopped selling alcohol stoves and ovens.

That leaves LPG or electric. Everything else is kind of a niche thing in my opinion. Of course a lot of folks would argue electric is niche.

If the OP or someone else wants to consider electric I’ll discuss.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 23:00   #27

"Not a full time live aboard. weekends at least, couple nights on anchor."

The least expensive option would be to cook with electric at the dock then use a single burner (or two) inexpensive butane cooktops on anchor.

I'm admittedly biased against propane below deck but I respect those that aren't. I've gone all electric but bought (from here) a used Origo as a backup (while I've also got a propane grill on the rail).

I don't mean to oversell the Origo option, but they are readily found on the used market. Origos practically can't break, but it's surprising how much money they sold for new (little more than stamped sheet metal and a little rod)...so the used prices are still less than if Origo was still selling new. If I was in your area I'd let you borrow mine to test...you could even use it at home in the kitchen to see if the 'less heat' alcohol flame is a problem.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:37   #28

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Love our Taylors Kerosene Cooker.
Those Taylors are gorgeous. Have a Taylor's cabin/water heater, and I'm redoing a Shipmate kero stove right now. Scored a couple of beautiful Taylor's stainless fuel tanks with sightglasses for a song at the local consignment place. Fiddly to light if you aren't patient, but great flame and so cheap to run.
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stove