Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2013, 06:48   #31

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Upholstery Material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Too late, look what we used them for
Ready for a trip out to Santa Fe!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 07:55   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
We went with Ultrasuede for new cushion covers. The price of this stuff is nuts if you pay list. We would have never bought it for that. However... There are "other" ways.

My wife found that lots of leftover ultrasuede often go on ebay for much below list price but with the downside that they are in odd measures. However, being that boat cushions are small, we were able to make that work.

We bought 9 yards @ $23/yd with free shipping. It came in different pieces so it took some "engineering" to make the most of it.
Many thanks for the tip Target .

Our current Ultrasuede settee upholstery is 15 years old and gets a lot of use, so it is starting to look a bit shabby (it recently started pilling on the seats, the backrests still look like new after each wash). Replacement was a task to be done this winter.

Ultrasuede is brilliant. It's lovely to sit on and touch and it looks good. It wears well, stains sponge out, and it is washable. Even biro marks wash out easily. I had leather at home, but Ultrasuede is much more comfortable in hot weather and there is no sliding around when the seats are used as berths during passages.

After reading this thread I have just picked up 15 yards of genuine Ambience HP Ultrasuede remnants in 3 pieces @$25/yard (the largest piece being 8 yards) at less than a third of retail price on ebay in the colour I wanted - a light silvery grey .

Just thrilled!!!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 07:58   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I don't agree with Jedi on much... But he has given you the right advice

Ultra Suede is a great material for interior use. We have it on our boat and the material has lasted seven years so far, including our sheep dog lounging on them for 4 of those years. Ultra Suede is easy to clean and wears well.

The real advice is do not go cheap on foam...

There are different grades of foam and going cheap will mean less life, depending on how much you cushions are used.

The original factory foam used in our cushion seats deteriorated after 3.5 years of fulltime live aboard use. We sent the ultra suede covers back and upgraded to a denser foam, which is firmer, but so far shows no signs of breakdown.

If there's a Hancock Fabrics anywhere near you, go in there periodically. They have the most fantastic sales. That's how I got my upholstery fabric, which I love, for $9 a yard (60" wide) instead of $49 ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 08:00   #34
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
I was led to believe leather wasn't an ideal material for a boat. Is this true? If so, why?

Leather comes in many qualities. I have a friend whose boat is done in leather. Someone burned a hole in it with a cigarette, and it has split elsewhere. The cigarette burn? He should have insisted on no smoking, but the split was probably a matter of quality.

Good leather is really expensive ... Maybe use really good leather as an accent?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote