Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 13:44   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Urgently need advice ( Irma in BVI )

Note you will be held responsible for any damages caused by any salvage attempts. Fuel spills alone can result in massive fines greater than a boat is worth.

Leave it to the pro's IMO, they have proper liability and E&O insurance.

Note also Tortola is a very corrupt place, rule of law depends on Belonger connections, being an outsider, especially an American, can often make things very expensively unfair.

Sorry for your troubles.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 14:42   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

I had hurricane claims up in the States - best advice already given: take lots of pictures (inside and outside, every angle, etc), and rely on your insurance company.

Take as much of your personal gear off and anything that you can remove for safe keeping. Thieves believe that they have "salvage rights" on all damaged vessels, and will likely be along to liberate your gear at some point.

If no insurance, then you will have to seek out assistance to lift the monohull. Back in 2004/5 some friends of mine had severe damage from Ivan, down in Grenada. Almost everyone there went to Trinidad for repair/rebuild, and it took a long time. My friends had connections in St. Maarten, and got their boat back in the water within the next year. St. Maarten will not be an option this time, obviously, but you might consider investigating salvors and repair yards to the south (providing your cat will be seaworthy once the mono is removed).

Good luck - sorry for your woes. I truly know how you feel thanks to Sandy.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 19:49   #18

Boat: Robertson and Caine 2002

Thank you all for your good advice. I thought that we could maybe save our boat by moving it as soon as possible, but it might not be important anymore. Hear me well though, I NEVER thought that my boat had more value than the lives and the suffering of other human beings. I was just hoping that someone could have helped me with some ideas or a magic trick maybe. We were refused by 2 insurance companies a few days before Irma. We were waiting for more quotes when Irma went through Tortola. We bought the boat 5 days before the event. This boat was supposed to be our new '' house ''. We sold our own house last month to buy it. When I wrote to you all to get some help I was in a bit of personal shock. It's ok now. Next time I might need your advice on how to repair a boat on a budget ! lol.
Thank you again for all your precious answers.
Marike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 20:12   #19

And I feel and understand your predicament and would also be looking for a way , a manic trick , to save if poss my boat if I were in your position , tbh I cannot understand why some take the attitude they do regards your plea , why would anyone think that you were piting your boat in front of the obvious humanitarian needs , some folk . Good luck and I hope you find something , can you not hook up to a truck and pull the damned thing off !!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 20:17   #20

Sorry to hear of your loss.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 21:45   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

Hopefully your boat won't be to bad.I feel for you.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 21:53   #22

Boat: Tartan 37

Do we know if the OP has insurance. I know it's next to impossible to get an insurance company to write a policy with a name storm in the Atlantic.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 22:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
Do we know if the OP has insurance. I know it's next to impossible to get an insurance company to write a policy with a name storm in the Atlantic.
Have you not read the thread ?
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 22:43   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marike View Post
Thank you all for your good advice. I thought that we could maybe save our boat by moving it as soon as possible, but it might not be important anymore. Hear me well though, I NEVER thought that my boat had more value than the lives and the suffering of other human beings. I was just hoping that someone could have helped me with some ideas or a magic trick maybe. We were refused by 2 insurance companies a few days before Irma. We were waiting for more quotes when Irma went through Tortola. We bought the boat 5 days before the event. This boat was supposed to be our new '' house ''. We sold our own house last month to buy it. When I wrote to you all to get some help I was in a bit of personal shock. It's ok now. Next time I might need your advice on how to repair a boat on a budget ! lol.
Thank you again for all your precious answers.
my advice would be to go on facebook and find the group for your area in facebook/groups there are many volunteers offering help
try #bviirma
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 22:45   #25

Boat: Tartan 37

1:30am and wine. Very sorry, hopefully it will unravel and you can get your boat back together. Should be salvagers around and see if you can get them to help. Big part now is keep the insides and engines dry. Get quotes in writing, this is very important. Salvagers and pirates are close cousins. Once a salvage is done, they can make a claim, up to the value of the boat. This can happen with "volunteers".

Here's a sample written agreement that can be used
http://www.boatus.com/towing/salvage-p7.asp

You should ask if the salvager can give a fixed price or one based on time and materials before beginning the job. If so, get the price in writing or, if an oral agreement, try to have someone witness it.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:30   #26

No insurance. I got refused 2 days before Irma.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:33   #27

This is a wonderful idea ! Thank you very much.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:35   #28

Great great advice ! Thank you so much. I saved your link. This gives me some hope.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:37   #29

Thank you for your support and kind words. It is very appreciated.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:45   #30

Thank you very much Ztsf. I will follow your advice as much as I can. My husband already took lots of photos but up to now he couldn't send anything to me because internet and his phone are down. It is not easy. but to be heard by people like you means a lot a me. It helps my spirit. Thanks again.

Tags
BVI