Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 04:55   #31

Boat: Robertson and Caine 2002
Re: Urgently need advice ( Irma in BVI )

Thank you very much Nani Kai for your thoughts on my situation. I think that the other mono hull is partly on the stern of the catamaran. At this point, the engines have been more than a few days under water so I don't think that it would make a big difference to move my boat from now on. I agree that we might do more harm than good. We will apply all your suggestions. Thank you again.
Marike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:13   #32

Boat: o'day 302

can you cut the mast off the mono and use a block system from shore to roll or drag the boat off yours? without pictures I'm not sure what your looking at...but there is always a way to MacGyver things if you aren't worried about a little damage to your boat and a bunch to the other one.
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:18   #33

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Wow, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I can only imagine what you're going through, losing the boat that soon. Then I think of the hundreds, maybe thousands of others who must have similar situations, and the magnitude of this hurricane beings to sink in.

Best wishes, hope the future finds you sailing and retelling this story from a better perspective.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:27   #34

Urgently need advice ( Irma in BVI )

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybimm View Post
can you cut the mast off the mono and use a block system from shore to roll or drag the boat off yours? without pictures I'm not sure what your looking at...but there is always a way to MacGyver things if you aren't worried about a little damage to your boat and a bunch to the other one.

Not recommending you attempt but if you decide to do so based on the firsthand judgment on scene-

Windlass stronger than winch if you decide to Macgyver it off. A jeep or other 4WD stronger that a windlass. Salvage job blocks off boats and maybe setup a mechanical advantage. Leave a note and return them if you do borrow blocks.

Denzel in west end (10 miles from sea cow) would have some lightweight 4x4s. Let him know you only need for single task and will return it so others can use it. Or catch a truck coming by. Be rigged beforehand. Again suggestion from my distant view is wait for a crane but if you must tow if off those are options.

Also feed plywood sheet between the two vessels to help slide.

Fiberglass can be fixed so don't let a banged up hull, with all else intact, race into a "total loss mindset".

You'd be surprised what a good glass guy can do a in a week's work. Remember that the person who originally made the ama made it from the same material the repairer will use. You'll have sister ships on the island and you can take a mold form off one of their hulls to help fairing.

PICTURES are the next most important step to allow the forum to help you even more. If he can get to a larger yacht they likely have a sat phone and might be willing to send a 1-2 pictures out on your behalf. 98% of people go above and beyond in these situations and if seine says no just move to next one. We need one photo ideally top down or looking down from hill or something (maybe 100 feet back) "full scene" and one showing the junction of the two boats (maybe 20 feet back) "contact zone".

My own experience with the forum, as I sit here, touch teak, snugly protected in this same storm, is that the more precise info you can get out to the forum the better (amazing) help you'll get back. I don't wish away the logistics challenges you face but once photos are available you can expect an additional level of analysis and suggestions.

Book a few sets future of air tickets into STT for you and others so you can visit the boat and return. You'll need them.

Don't want to see your dream end or a major financial hit if it can be repaired. To give you a different perspective, $10,000 buys a whole lot of epoxy and matting.

To give you some hope maybe other forum members could share before & after photos of successful major fiberglass hull repairs.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:44   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marike View Post
Thank you very much Nani Kai for your thoughts on my situation. I think that the other mono hull is partly on the stern of the catamaran. At this point, the engines have been more than a few days under water so I don't think that it would make a big difference to move my boat from now on. I agree that we might do more harm than good. We will apply all your suggestions. Thank you again.
engines can survive quite a long time under water with minimal damage,but it is important to immediatly flush with fresh water , clean diesel and flush the oil system with a few oil changes immediatly the engines are above the water and started
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:59   #36

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes

I am very sorry for your loss and the stress you are experiencing. Of course many others are in equally bad or worse situations but that doesn't change the fact that this is YOUR situation and you are having to deal with it.

We bought a Lagoon cat at Nanny Cay some years ago and spent a lot of time after the purchase went through at Sea Cow Bay (it was cheaper!) waiting to sort out our BVI registration. I am gutted that you are not able to sail away from there as we did for the start of your sailing adventures.

You WILL get there though. You will come out of this stronger and perhaps with a more intimate knowledge of your boat than you would otherwise have had, which from experience is no bad thing.

Very best wishes
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:00   #37

Marike

I've done a few off season charters in the Caribbean. Many others were planning the same charters this year. Right?

They already have air tickets. They already have the time free. Many of them are experienced Sailors. I'm sure some would volunteer to help you if the right message was lit through social media.

I would start with every poster here "want to learn to cruise".

I bet they'd also appreciate a barter arrangement of 2 days recovery labor = 1 week sailing as our guest once this is sorted out. That could be the best learning setup they get.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:27   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Marike

I've done a few off season charters in the Caribbean. Many others were planning the same charters this year. Right?

They already have air tickets. They already have the time free. Many of them are experienced Sailors. I'm sure some would volunteer to help you if the right message was lit through social media.

I would start with every poster here "want to learn to cruise".

I bet they'd also appreciate a barter arrangement of 2 days recovery labor = 1 week sailing as our guest once this is sorted out. That could be the best learning setup they get.
that idea reminds me of my friend clive on the chinese junk "Nutting Wong"

...he recruited a crew who flew out to tanzania,to sail to europe. but they had an engine problem so they sailed to south africa instead!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:33   #39
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Why not? It's the journey that counts, never mind the destination. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:35   #40

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
engines can survive quite a long time under water with minimal damage,but it is important to immediatly flush with fresh water , clean diesel and flush the oil system with a few oil changes immediatly the engines are above the water and started
Marike,

Please pay attention to what Atoll is saying here. He is exactly right. If you do the right maintenance on the engines as soon as they come out of the water they can be saved. To prepare for that try to get 2 starters sent to your husband. Also some batteries and battery wire. He will need a barrel of diesel and a few gallons of engine oil low weight and regular engine oil. The first oil change should be a light weight oil to flush after the diesel flushes. He will need diesel to flush out the engine oil sump as well as provide fuel when ready to start the engines. If you have enough repair parts and materials the engines can be running within a few hours of pulling them from the water.

BoatUS – Hurricane Center – "Pickling" Your Engine
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello Marike, I've kept out of this so far because I didn't think I had anything to add, but if you and your husband are hands on kinds of people, atoll and transmitterdan are right about the engines. And two rebuilt engines probably represents between 20 and 40k dollars, so working out in advance what you would need to have with you when you go down there to work on your boat will be important. I'm thinking it will be quite a while before you can, but you should, as you can communicate with your husband, agree on what needs to be packed up to ship to him. He may need you as stateside coordinator. He may be able to hire some help.. Good luck with it. Hope you can get it all to come right. .....It's in the laps of the gods, but hard work helps a whole lot!

If you and your spouse decide to deal with the engines, take with you the engine repair manual and the parts manual that apply to your boat. There are U-tubes of much of this, that you could put on a flash stick.

You may want to bring a solar panel with you, for charging tool batteries. There will be lots you can do, and it will make you feel less helpless to have proactive work you can do while you wait to join him.

Ann
Old 10-09-2017, 13:43   #42

Urgently need advice ( Irma in BVI )

http://www.shipblueocean.com can get you a partial shipping container direct into Road Town.

I recommend FLL as your supply hub and loadout because it's the closest stateside port and offers lots of marine vendors. They will be going gangbusters trying to get the fleet (at least a little) back together in time season so reservations are important. You don't need to be in FLL. Blue Ocean should receive for you.

If you're going to fix I'd reserve a 1/2 TEU now from them for say October 7th before they fill up.

BETA Marine makes a great non-common rail engine if you repower but easier to restore what you have. If you have even one working engine back up that is a milestone.
Old 10-09-2017, 15:05   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 39

Marike, Iam sorry to hear about your new boat and home, that is a very sad tale. I am hoping you can help me, my catamaran is also in seacow bay, it was tied up at the marina in front of the store, it is a Leopard 38 name is Bella Vita. Perhaps your husband can give me an update as to its condition?
Thanks, if you can get me any info
And good luck with your cat.
rickrevak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 18:49   #44

Boat: Robertson and Caine 2002

Wow ! So much hope, kind words and super good advice !! Thank you again all of you. I never thought that I would receive that much good information. Today, Sunday the 10th, my husband finally add an internet connection. I will try to get some photos and post them here tomorrow.
To answer a few of you, yes , were are quite handy. We renovated and restored a few houses. We did everything in them. electrical, plumbing ect...but we know that a boat is different. We are NOT afraid to work. You ALL gave me new hope .
Thank you again.
Marike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 21:20   #45

Boat: Catalina 470

When life isn't working for me I try to remember"'this to shall pass" I also tell my self its part of the adventure and when I'm older it adds to the story book.

Not always easy ,but its my way of trying to get my head in a better spot.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI