Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 05:43   #31

Boat: Brewer 44
Re: Use of butyl tape to bed hardware to deck

I use it to re-bed all my deck hardware. Will never go back to a marine sealant. Its easy to work with, sticks and provides a long lasting seal. Ive never had anything leak after using butyl tape.
bfiegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 05:54   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Maybe I need to use a better butyl product. I notice that my roll of Butyl tape that was difficult for me to manage is identified as a Butyl "Mastic". I have not seen any posts here promoting Butyl tape with a reference to "Mastic". Could my product selection be a cause for my disappointment?
Old 20-12-2015, 05:59   #33

Boat: Bristol 29.9

We used MaineSail's butyl on our last boat and loved it. For us there was no question but to use it again as we rebed all of the deck hardware on this boat.
Old 20-12-2015, 06:05   #34

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Maybe I need to use a better butyl product. I notice that my roll of Butyl tape that was difficult for me to manage is identified as a Butyl "Mastic". I have not seen any posts here promoting Butyl tape with a reference to "Mastic". Could my product selection be a cause for my disappointment?
Possibly so... last year i picked up a roll of the "bed-it-butyl-tape" and the stuff is marvelous to work with. I've used it on stanchion bases, chocks, cleats, hatches & blocks. No mess, easy cleanup and most importantly, no leaks after the fact. Much easier to work with than runny/messy 4000/4200... and as a bonus, it doesn't go bad/cure in the tube after you open it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 06:05   #35

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

If your butyl was black and exceeding stick, prone to discolor all it touched, and fairly liquid.....you've got the wrong stuff.

What you really want is marketed by Maine sail as "bed it" butyl tape.

I've not bought from here

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail....FQkxaQodLk0GUA

But the tape looks similar

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 06:33   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
I'm a 5200 guy with hopes to transition to a butyl tape user. So much is related to the personal skills that are developed over time.

I never damage my gel coat or have difficulty removing my 5200 because I never pry off a bedded piece. I use the garrote tactic for removal with a thin wire or sometimes even dental floss. Sometimes I use a fillet knife. Once exposed, a sharp blade can shave off the remaining 5200. I'm good with the potential smears just by having acetone & wipes ready along the use of latex gloves.

I've heard great accounts of success with butyl tape, but I need to gain some skills. During my one attempt with a roll of butyl tape having a protective strip to be pulled off, I failed miserably. I was trying to bed a series of base pads for a handrail. I attempted to remove the backing tape to cut sections and ended with an evil coiled black snake that I had to take to the trash. I know I can do better by removing smaller amounts of the tape later in the process, but once you've faced the Black Mamba it takes some courage to bring it back out of the safe locker where mine is coiled and securely bound.
Awesome funny post Hudson!
Yes... as mentioned further below... (or I guess that's ^^^ above now) The right butyl is the only butyl...

Like others and Pinguino... I'm a convert about 3 years ago... I wish other things in life were so definite... Nike on this one brother!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 07:03   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If your butyl was black and exceeding stick, prone to discolor all it touched, and fairly liquid.....you've got the wrong stuff.

Oh yes, this is the evil snake that's coiled in my locker! Very black, very sticky, extremely touchy. I've done nothing more than poke at it with a stick a few months ago when it slid out of it's corner. I'll bag it and toss it in the dumpster! 'looking forward to buying a roll of the recommended stuff,- Thanks all!
Old 20-12-2015, 08:40   #38

I have used butyl tape for bedding and it is great. I purchased it from Compass marine.

***Buy Bed-It Butyl Tape*** Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Good site for other information
dahshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 08:43   #39

We have used Butyl to rebed all of our topside hardware. Worked great. It doesn't take much. We started using too much at first and it squeezed out along the edges. It wasn't hard to peel it off though. That was two years ago in the Pacific Northwest.
windcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 09:18   #40

An old road contractor friend coated his old wooden decks with hot tar, then vinyl ester cloth, and then more hot tar, and finally aged pine planks. That was in 1962 and the old tub still does not leak, decks worn but still serviceable, and in general about as water tight a deck as you could hope for. Of course that old schooner has a Lister type diesel engine and galvanized rigging.

Advantage with tar beyond sticking to everything is that it self seals and water does not travel well between layers so if there is a leak down below its probably right above where you found it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 09:20   #41

Boat: Oday 25
Smile Re: Use of butyl tape to bed hardware to deck

I've used butyl (from Maine Sail) on everything on the boat with the exception of the chainplates. Because we want a lot of flexibility, we dig out and rebed the chainplate covers in silicone every year. However EVERYTHING else is bedded in butyl including acrylic windows (bedded directly to hull fiberglass) and stantions. We now have a dusty bilge.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 09:36   #42

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-12-2015, 09:50   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

What you really want is marketed by Maine sail as "bed it" butyl tape.

I've not bought from here

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail....FQkxaQodLk0GUA

But the tape looks similar

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Is that really the same as the bed-it tape sold by Maine sail?

It's a whole lot cheaper if it is. If done all my stanchions and lower deck hardware with it and still have a ways to go. I'll order from "best materials" if it's just as good

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-12-2015, 10:10   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a photo of my "Black Mamba" butyl mastic that I've bravely removed from the back of a locker.

I'll need to be careful disposing of it,- there ae children in this neighborhood!
Old 20-12-2015, 10:16   #45

Ban Silicon anything on a boat. Sika [choices of a couple of different ones for different operations] is the best, adheres expands and contracts with the weather, paintable and with specific primers will stick to anything..And if done right is easy to use..
grumpyboyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, deck, hardware