Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-02-2005, 16:30   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Used Sails

I have been thinking about replacing my mainsail with a used one. A new main is over $5000. for our boat and once and a while I see one that would fit at different web sites that are used for $1000-$2000. Has anyone here bought a used sail? Was it worth the money?
Old 19-02-2005, 20:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I bought a "PRE-LOVED" Genoa for my boat. It was in perfect shape and had very little use. $5K was the cost new, and I paid $500 for it. Maybe a little of right place right time came into play there. The scenario was it was a sail built via a sailmaker as asked for by the owner. But it was two weights heavier than the owner wanted and was just too heavey for his boat. So the owner got a new lighter one made and I got the old one. So good bargains can be found.
Good luck.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 21:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Now that sounds like a great deal! My genoa has some age on it, I would not mind replacing it for $500.
Old 20-02-2005, 07:56   #4

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Sails

I just paid $200- for a large headsail for my boat, it is in good condition and the shape is good. Because it is the largest sail it may not get used as much and will only be up in light air, so used was a good option. The sails that get used the most I purchased new. That is the main and 150% headsail. I like having a new main as I got full battens up high and more roach and a loose foot, it would have been hard to find all that used. For the number of years a new sail lasts I am happy getting at least those two new.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 07:14   #5

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We bought a used main sail from our sailmaker, when we had blown our main out. This said had been used only one year, and was perfect for our boat.
The budget at the time meant either a repair or used.
Have the sail checked carefully before purchasing.
Fair Winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2005, 18:03   #6

I bought a 100% jib for my boat for about $450. It was in really good condition because the prior owner did not use it much. After buying a new main and a new 150% genoa and a bunch of other improvements, the budget could not take another $2K hit.

Look around at local lofts if you have any near by. Buying one without seeing condition seems a bit risky to me. Although some used sail lofts have return policies that might be acceptable.

good luck.

bryan
Bryanaw40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2005, 10:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.

Good timing! The latest issue of Practical Sailor deals with "discount" sail lofts, including used sources.
Here's a distillation of their findings:

For new discount sails, they liked National Sail Supply best: www.nationalsail.com, (239) 693-1896; evidently good response time and pricing.

They also recommended Far East Sails, www.fareastsails.com, (206) 339-3618; Sail Warehouse, www.thesailwarehouse.com, (831) 646-5346; Airforce Sails (div. of SailNet), www.airforcesails.com, (877) 237-2457; and Crusing Direct, www.cruisingdirect.com, (888) 424-7388.

For used sails, they liked Sail Exchange best, www.sailexchange.com, (800) 628-8152; they also were impressed with the inventory at Bacon & Associates, www.baconsails.com, (410) 263-4880.

They warned against one broker, Atlantic Sail Traders; evidently they didn't bother to return two emails and two phone messages, and PS simply gave up on them.

Good luck! A combination of perseverence and luck should yield a good deal.
Old 23-03-2005, 12:18   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks for the good info' Geoff.

BTW: I’ve found that Bacon & Associates, in Annapolis, tend to rate the condition of their used sails very conservatively. They tend to be delivered in better condition than their description might have led you to believe.
FWIW,
Gord May

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 16:54   #9

Boat: Island Packet 38
Atlantic Sail Traders

In reply to Geoff S., he is correct that PS rated Atlantic Sail Traders poorly in the original article. However, PS has since posted a follow up and give them a good reveiw. It seems the lack of communication was due to an illness in the family that owns the company and was atypical. I bought a 150% genoa from them and I am very happy with the sail.
artfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 17:11   #10

I was considering a used sail, how are they or do the grade used sails and is there any kind of return policy. what kind of questions should I ask
Old 08-06-2005, 16:50   #11

Boat: Privilege 37
You can also get used sails on the other side of the pond. http://www.seateach.com/Sails.asp
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 21:48   #12

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Used Sails

Used sails also available in Australia.

Traders tend to advertise in boating publications and offer a "return if not suitable" policy on most items.

Other sources of second hand sails tend to be the serious racers who will often replace sails each season. Need to look carefully, as sails specifically for racing may not necessarily suit the cruiser, but if the price is right, a sailmaker can probably make any alterations and still be ahead on price of new sails.

Fair winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 17:25   #13

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
Sail Exchange - Newport Beach CA

Any one know if Sail Exchange is still in business?

They have a what looks like a nice No. 3 on their website (Sail Exchange) that will fit my boat perfectly. I have sent a couple of emails over the last week or so and haven't had any response.

Don't know if it is because I'm from outside of the US or what.

Any help would be much appreciated - even if someone local could phone them (800 628-8152) for me to find out if they still operate & if the sail is still in stock - I can PM the details.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 18:51   #14

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Check out Scott over at Atlantic Sail Traders, Atlantic Sail Traders - Used sails, New sails, Sail Broker

incredibly good people, 30 day return policy and great descriptions. you can shoot them an email, they've always gotten back to me VERY quickly and are incredibly knowledgeable.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 20:07   #15

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Another very good resource for used sails is Minnies in Newport Beach, CA. They will give you an honest evaluation of the sail, shipping is fast and prices are good.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote