Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2022, 06:52   #16

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93
Re: UV Film for Exterior of Hatches

I use this on my polycarbonate windows - works great after >12mths.
BDF EXS15 Exterior Window Film Privacy and Sun Control Silver 15, Dark

I would not trust it to handle rope chafing, but for sun reflection it's excellent.

It stops the plastic from heating.

Applying to curved windows does suck a bit - might need a bit to practice. I just ignore the mistakes.

Have not tried on acrylic yet, as mine are too weathered to bother.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:01   #17

Boat: Privilege 37

I have applied film to the inside of an acrylic window. Had enormous trouble with getting rid of the bubbles.
On my Privilege, I have shade cloth on the windows. I discussed use of a film with 3M. They do have a film which is designed for polycarbonate, but it is an outside adhesion. It is quite thick, so would stand up to the wear, but my windows are compound curved, and there was no way to fit this film to these windows. They did come to the boat, and tried, but no way to make a decent job due to the shape.

If your windows are flat, then there is a good chance hat they can do it. But their installation teams are trained to fit to house windows. They trim the edge of the film with a stanley knife. Not a good idea on a boat window sealed in with some form of flexible sealant.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:06   #18

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
On my Privilege, I have shade cloth on the windows. It is quite thick, so would stand up to the wear, but my windows are compound curved, and there was no way to fit this film to these windows.
Shade cloth is harder than polycarbonate - heavily damaged mine. Lots of sanding to get them clear again, real deep.

If it's polycarbonate then it's probably not a compoind curve, but rather a twist like mine. Compound needs heating and stretching. I got it onto mine with a double curve (looks like a compound, but if you put a ruler on it, you'll fine straight lines). It did suck to apply, and I got some ripples, but that was due to my skills and wind, not the material.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:36   #19

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
I am installing perforated vinyl to limit light in on all my hatches and salon windows. It comes in different perforations depending upon how much light you want in. Kinda like the phifertex.
thats what I did for my hatches... used phifertex with the J hooks like you'd find on automobile upholstery.

not the best stitching job...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6258634-5C47-493B-8E1C-DE84A529952B.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	262234   Click image for larger version

Name:	0EF0D50F-6173-4A65-8008-5A878E074AC4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	262235  

Name:	5B6201CF-7CE0-4748-8FE6-DC48AB2F34C7.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	262236   Click image for larger version

Name:	17503F45-D0DB-4F60-B97F-13F283836410.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	262237  

Name:	919EB06B-F334-401F-B640-F553A0ED43DE.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	262238  
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:40   #20

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Shade cloth is harder than polycarbonate - heavily damaged mine. Lots of sanding to get them clear again, real deep.
If it's polycarbonate then it's probably not a compoind curve, but rather a twist like mine. Compound needs heating and stretching.......
My shade cloth has been on the windows for at least 10 years and probably longer It is polyurethane covered netting. Windows are acrylic rather than polycarbonate, and no marks on them. Hatches have had to be replaced due to sun-crazed cracking, but big windows are unmarked so far (20+years), so great believer in shade cloth.

These windows would need a Russian ruler to get anything like a straight line (i.e. bent as a coat hanger.) I recall a poster on this forum who had great difficulty getting a new window after a breakage on his privilege Eventually had to import from France (to west indies) - not cheap.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:56   #21

I ran a Canvas and upholstery business for a number of years and I used Acrylite on many enclosures and on classic sailboat hatch covers. This product is very impervious to UV and after 15-16 years still looks like new. I also used lexan on forward facing windows on fly bridge enclosures and installed wipers in them. Held up to both the wiper abrasion and the UV very well. I found acrylite to be very cost competitive with other products and less than the lexan for sure.I am located in the Chesapeake Bay region so we don't get the intense UV that you get in more tropical areas. Disiclaimer: I am no longer in the business as I retired 11 years ago.
fishinforfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:03   #22

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Except for July and August we want that nice solar heating. So I made 1/4” cutouts that fit the inside of the hatch frames.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:39   #23

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Not exactly a film but we use Outland Hatch Covers. Cheap, easy to install, easy to take on/off. Normally leave on unless it's open ocean sailing.

Tags
hatch